Quantcast

WTB Silverado saddle owners?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Anybody running one of these?? My trusty saddle finally got destroyed when I cartwheeled my bike through a rock garden at 25mph...Ive never been a fan of wtb...I dont think I've ever ran one of their products but I recently got a rim from them so I figured I'd give the saddle a go..it was on sale and I have a hard time spending 180$ on a seat...

I got it yesterday and it feels ok as far as the shape goes.. but I rode it today and every time the saddle flexes it makes a loud squeak...its super annoying..even pedaling on the pavement is enough to make it creak..

Was wondering if they were all like this or if I got a lemon..it's bad enough that I don't think I'll be able to run it..

Thanks

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
try silicone spray perhaps... saddle squeaks are akin to plastic car interior squeaks.

i hate squeaky shit too... but I've some success with the older WTB saddles. Haven't bought one in quite a while.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sounds like you got a dud. I had one on my DH bike for a while that never made any noise.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Picked up a WTB Silverado Team from Chainlove a few years ago for ~$30. I wish I'd bought several as I don't want to spend the full price for one.

It's got several thousand miles on my Ti HT and certainly doesn't squeak.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i have one. seemed fine. then squeaking. took off. one of the rails was totally out of its cup. can't get it back in. no clue how it could have come out. WTF?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
i have one. seemed fine. then squeaking. took off. one of the rails was totally out of its cup. can't get it back in. no clue how it could have come out. WTF?
The shell on the Silverado is really flexy and I find it hammocks pretty badly due to its length and narrow shell.
When that happens the rails can slip out of their rear mounts.
WTB has a tool in CA that can usually pop the rail back in, it takes a lot of pressure.
2/10 would not bang

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've had lots of Silverados over the years. Not ever had an issue with one and one of my favorite saddle shapes.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
The shell on the Silverado is really flexy and I find it hammocks pretty badly due to its length and narrow shell.
When that happens the rails can slip out of their rear mounts.
WTB has a tool in CA that can usually pop the rail back in, it takes a lot of pressure.
2/10 would not bang
Yea it is super flexy...maybe it's only a problem for bigger guys? Im 185+lbs...

I'm not usually a whiney consumer but I'll call them and complain haha...a brand new seat shouldn't make more noise than the 2year old one it replaced

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It is a weight issue, I'm 6'4 and 230#.
The silverado is way too narrow for me and fits like a thong.
Try and swap it for a Devo; still compact and light but more rigid and a bit wider/shorter.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have two. one on my dh bike, one used to be on my xc bike. I find it too hard for xc, much prefer my Chromag Lynx. I'll probably get rid of the one on my dh bike too, I don't like the pointy shape of the nose, for both trail and DH. I've had a few nose to choad encounters and they're pretty painful. Also a really deep charlie horse on my gluteus maximus that took forever to heal. Being so sharp, it can really dig into the soft tissues deeply.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I was going to get the devo but the silverado was way cheaper and I do utilize the nose of the saddle allot for steep climbs...the silverado was closer to the length of my previous saddle than the devo..

I was originally going to get that new Tioga padless one...guess I should have...A saddle should'nt creak with someone that is not even 200lbs on it..it's just junk quality..

It is a weight issue, I'm 6'4 and 230#.
The silverado is way too narrow for me and fits like a thong.
Try and swap it for a Devo; still compact and light but more rigid and a bit wider/shorter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've used wtb saddles for almost 20 years. Sometimes they just creak. Steel or ti. I doubt it's a WTB specific thing though. The fun part about it is that you get to use the term 'seat lube'.

Make sure the rails are in place and nothing is blatantly out of place or alignment and then just drop some triflow or something else in there. I've even gone so far as to take the things apart and stick spark plug/antiseize paste on the rails.

The bigger issue with the silverados (I've had like 5 of them) is that the sharp nose catches your shorts sometimes.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I've used wtb saddles for almost 20 years. Sometimes they just creak. Steel or ti. I doubt it's a WTB specific thing though. The fun part about it is that you get to use the term 'seat lube'.

Make sure the rails are in place and nothing is blatantly out of place or alignment and then just drop some triflow or something else in there. I've even gone so far as to take the things apart and stick spark plug/antiseize past on the rails.

The bigger issue with the silverados (I've had like 5 of them) is that the sharp nose catches your shorts sometimes.
Ill give it a try..I just ordered up a Tioga spyder just to see...found the cromo version cheap..those 50g's I'm saving are going to drop seconds for sure :cool:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Picked up a WTB Silverado Team from Chainlove a few years ago for ~$30. I wish I'd bought several as I don't want to spend the full price for one.

It's got several thousand miles on my Ti HT and certainly doesn't squeak.
i too bought one when they blew them out. loved the saddle and mine only creaked after i bent the shit out of it with my taint after casing a jump

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Its a weird sound..it doesn't really sound like the rails moving inside the shell...

it has little cutouts in the shell with his blue material showing through and it almost sounds like the creak is coming from that material moving a bit when the shell flexes..kinda hard to pinpoint the noise

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I sprayed some silicone through the cutouts between the blue padding and the shell...seemed to quiet it down a bit..not sure how long it will last though..

thanks for the tips

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well pewp, my silverado is now creaking like an old mattress. so is the one on my DH bike. Will try kidwoos lube the fuck out of it method.