Quantcast

Wrist braces for DH

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Wrist got decently sprained during a bike accident a few weeks ago. Everything is for the most part healed except my wrist which Im still finding difficult to put my full weight on while riding. I want to get a wrist brace so that I can ride and not make it worse than it is. Im not sure where to start, but Im looking for something that wont impede my ability to grip my bars and isnt too bank-breaking.

Recommendations?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I was also looking for one after breaking my wrist in April. Ended up just using my boxing wrist wrap untill I gained some strength.

Not sure if it was the best method, but if anyones ever wrapped up their hands/wrist for punching they know how much a wrap can support.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I had a pretty serious wrist injury over a year ago which I have healed well from and can now bike with no issues. I use the TLD wrist brace, it was cheap, does the job and has some basic adjustments. I am worried about crashing and the pain I would be in from a crash impact to the palm of my hand bending my wrist back. I plan on weening myself off of it soon though.

You should maybye also get into some basic wrist strengthing exercises like pushups and heavy stretching to see what you can and cant do

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Its hard to keep weight on my wrist when its bent at certain angles. Obviously Im not trying to bend it much, but I want something that cant limit the bending and add a little stability so I can pay more attention to the run than my wrist.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ordered up the TLD brace. Its not too expensive and seems pretty solid. If that fails then well go for the more expensive braces.

Hopefully itll do the trick.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I use the 661 wrist wrap, its a good brace, although the plastic support piece started sticking through the palm so i had to replace it. Got the TLD one and it was not as much support, although it has better construction, using the same material they use for their gloves(which i love) on the palm/thumb strap. Back on the 661 for now.

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
Ordered up the TLD brace. Its not too expensive and seems pretty solid. If that fails then well go for the more expensive braces.

Hopefully itll do the trick.
I broke my wrist (Colles/Distal Radius fracture) on 8/17, so nothing too bad, but still broken. Ordered myself the TLD brace, and just got back from Whistler with nothing but the best to say about the brace. I wear thin gloves, and found it worked great wearing the glove under the brace.

Nothing you can do about the braking bumps as those will still hurt you like a bitch, but the brace has more than enough support for most other stuff.

Grisha

Chimp
Jan 5, 2011
Germany
I just broke my left wrist for the third time, so I think it's time for me to start wearing a wrist brace.

I think I'll go for the Allsport Dynamics IMC brace, as I read a lot about it and it seems to be a good choice to start with.
But I can't find any information on the different strapping systems. Has anyone got one and can tell me what works best? There's the Lacer, Sport and Speed system, which do I need for mountainbiking?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Whats the verdict on the CTI brace? Looks like I'll have to be wearing one in a month when I get my cast off. It seems to be what all the pros use in MTB and MX.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
CTI is basically what Allsport Dynamics used to be. So if you have an actual CTI brace it's basically the Allsport Dynamics OTS brace. Their newer one is the OH2. The IMC I think is basically a cheaper version of the OTS.

For strap systems, the I had an old CTI with the lacer that worked great. It just takes a little longer to get on and off vs. their other strap systems, but I think it offers the most customizable fit. IIRC the "speed" model was super easy to get on and off, but can move around more because it doesn't have the extra "wings" further up your forearm. I haven't tried the "sport" one but it looks like a good middle ground between the other two.

All of their braces are great and will fit over a mtb glove (they can even modify your gloves to attach them to the braces for an even more custom fit, this might be only for the OH2 model). They are not cheap, but are worth it. Sometimes you can find them on craigslist for a bit cheaper.

Another thing worth mentioning is that depending on your insurance, you *might* be able to get a custom brace from them at least partially covered. In my case I was able to get both a right an left custom brace from them for around $150 per brace, which is waaay cheaper than retail and well worth it. They have more custom brace options than listed on their main products page. The one I got is called the "Exte-flex", which is basically an OH2 with an additional piece that also limits flexion, along with other options (limiting side to side motion, and an optional palmar stay). I believe the standard OH2 only limits extension.

Info on their standard braces is here, but doesn't include info on their custom orthotics:
Allsport Dynamics

I'd say give Allsport Dynamics a call and ask them about the options, they've been super nice and helpful every time I've talked to them.

I also have had thumb injuries, and the Allsport Dynamics braces don't have thumb support, so recently I've been looking for some cheaper braces that I can wear in the interim that provide both thumb and wrist support. After trying a bunch of different braces, this is the best one I've found in terms of actual thumb/wrist support and also being ergonomic enough to wear while riding:
Amazon.com: U2 Universal Thumb Spica Brace, Right: Health & Personal Care

It's also way cheap compared to custom braces. At $25 a pop you can buy several of these (that's the one downside, I don't think they were really intended to be used for mountain biking, so they tend to wear out after a few months of riding). The part on the inside of the forearm has a sock-like cotton piece presumably to make them more comfortable, but I just cut that off because it just aborbs sweat and takes forever to dry out. I now wear these on every ride, both hands.

Grisha

Chimp
Jan 5, 2011
Germany
Thanks a lot for the answer, that really helped!

Unfortunately I'm from Germany, my dad is an orthopaedic surgeon and said there's no chance my insurance pays for a brace, the only German company that makes them is Ortema and they are custom only and cost about 800€ a piece. I could maybe get a normal one for rehab, like they have in hospitals, but that's not for sports.

So I think I'll go for the IMC one, that's still affordable and I can order it to Germany. Maybe if it helps a great deal I'll safe up for the OH2.
I'll probably choose the Lacer model as well, what you said sounds pretty logical to me, my wrists are really thin for a guy, so maybe the Speed or Sport models would shake too much.

I'll tell you how it works for me in 6-8 weeks, when I get my cast off (if there isn't too much snow to ride by then).