Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

10-12 Good, fresh Jalapenos
2 Links Sweet Italian Sausage
1 8 oz "brick" of Philly Cream Cheese
2 tsp Chili 9000 seasoning
1 tsp Smoked (mild) Paprika
12 (or so) strips of good, THIN sliced bacon

Slice the Jalapenos down one side, and then cut part way thru the stem end, leaving enough to keep the stem attached like a "cap".

Using a spoon, scoop out the membranes and seeds from the inside. Rinse, and set aside to dry.

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature (for easier mixing). If using link sausage, remove the casing from the two links. Mix the paprika, chili 9000, creme cheese, and sausage together in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. (A food processor or hand mixer can make this step a lot easier.)

Stuff the Jalapenos with the cheese/sausage mixture until full. Wrap with a slice (or more if necessary) of bacon until completely covered. Use the stem ends as caps to keep the goodness from oozing out as they cook. (No toothpics were necessary to hold all these together when wuff made them.)

Place on smoker rack with the cut sides up (might be hard to tell thru the bacon). Smoke at 250 degrees in strong smoke (mesquite, hickory, etc) for at least 2 hours, until interior temperature reaches 160 degrees and bacon is reasonably crisp.

Remove from smoker, and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so, for the filling to "set up" a bit.

Devour!

Variation: Add some Amish Gorgonzola Crumbles to the cheese in each "turd" for a lovely "bluesy" note.

Notes:

When selecting your Jalapeno's, look for medium sized peppers that have a tight, shiny, glossy skin with no wrinkles, and are not mushy to the touch. The better the pepper, the better this appetizer will be.

Important - use THIN bacon, the thinner the better. Thick cuts won't cook up as crisp, and will stay flabby and under-done. Not nearly as appetizing that way.

Needless to say, good sausage and good bacon will make a world of difference in this dish!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
looks tasty! I have a question for you. I've tried stuff jalapeños in the past and prepped them like you said, and they had basically no flavor or heat, which kind of ruined it for me. Do yours stay spicy, or do you have to put seeds back into the mix for that?

Going to try again following your suggestion for choosing the jalapeños, but any advice is appreciated!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
These are so good. The key is cooking them for a long time like you've mentioned. They can't be rushed or the pepper and bacon won't be cooked to perfection. Soft pepper and crispy bacon.

Pro tip. Don't forget to let them cool. They are like lava grenades for a good while after removing them from the grill.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
looks tasty! I have a question for you. I've tried stuff jalapeños in the past and prepped them like you said, and they had basically no flavor or heat, which kind of ruined it for me. Do yours stay spicy, or do you have to put seeds back into the mix for that?

Going to try again following your suggestion for choosing the jalapeños, but any advice is appreciated!
if you want hot, start with really hot chilies or finely dice up some habaeros and add them to the cream cheese mix

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

try pasillas or anchos (poblano) in place of jalapenos.