Quantcast

Wintergreen, VA (unbiased review)

2piece

Chimp
May 30, 2004
Wake Forest, NC.
On May 29th, Stupordave and I decided to head up to Wintergreen…Yes WG, and before you jump to your own conclusion, read on. Stupordave and I decided last minute to head up for some DH action. We had been to WG on three different occasions on 2003 and had a great time. Over the last couple of months, we’ve heard much rumors about the poor condition and overall quality of the resort. Never the less, we decided to head up to draw our own conclusions. I decided to call the day prior to make sure that the lifts were running. I was told that the trails were “better than ever” and to come on up for a great time. After 4 miserable hours from Raleigh, we were exstatic to finally arrive and couldn’t wait to suit up to make some runs. We checked in and proceeded to get the lift tickets. I asked how the trails were and WG staff responded, ”all trails are open and in great condition…have fun” We headed up to the top of the lift to park, as we always have in the past. Once parked, we were greeted by 2 lift guard/staff who immediately told us where we could and couldn’t park. Really didn’t make any sense, being that we were the only vehicles there, exception to the lift staff’s vehicles. We moved the vehicle as asked and suited up. We decided to shoot down the BERM trail and were immediately met with $HIT. Sections of the old Berm trail had been washed away and made for a crappy run. I mean yeah…we can pass, but I came to ride, not push my bike down and around eroded trails from top to bottom. NO FLOW. I’m talking 10 to 20’ section of earth had been washed away and slid down 2 to 4 feet in some section leaving nothing but loose rocks. We literally couldn’t tell what direction was the trail. It sucked! Stupordave and me just looked @ each other and said…WTF…….Just imagine our expressions if you can. We were just told 20 minutes ago by the WG staff…”all the trails are open…have a great ride” Once back on top, we decided to hit the sport trail. It was very evident that no trail maintenance was being done here either. Lots of erosion, but it was rideable, and just that! CRAP ;( No fun here either. Back on top for the third time and this time down the expert trails. Nothing too impressive here either. No maintenance what so ever, and if there was, they’re getting paid to do nothing! On the lift to the top for the forth time and it has taken 30 minutes, what should have taken up 10! There excuse @ top was….”we only have one guy working down at the bottom and he’s clueless” The two WG monkey boys on top (no pun intended) had an IQ of 25..Combined. 4..5…6 runs later, we were pretty much disappointed and bummed about the whole trip. It’s no fun when see yourself forcing to enjoy the day. I’m not sure how many runs we made by now, but we decided to try Day Glow. Right from the get go, the trails were filled with broken pieces of ski marker pole laying on the trail. I mean crap loads! My buddy Stupordave rolled and slid over one on a steep rocky section and the rest is history. After all said and done and dust settled, Stupordave was left with a bent floating brake arm on his Fly. We managed to bend it off the tire to ride it down the rest of the way. This pretty much ended our day. What actually boiled our blood even more was that we actually paid to ride this piece of $hit of a place called WINTERGREEN. All I’m thinking of this point is to confront the stupid A$$ staff who said..”All trails are open, have a great ride” I mean…was he hired to fool and punish all the riders visiting WG????
In conclusion….simply put…..WG SUCKED! I will never again, but then again they’re doing a great job themselves to closing the biking trails all on their own.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
You should copy this over into the Virginia Forum. Would be quite an interesting read over there. Thanks for the update.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
CHOP said:
You should copy this over into the Virginia Forum. Would be quite an interesting read over there. Thanks for the update.
We "Virginia and surrounding areas" monkeys had just finally figured out something else to talk about besides WG. Here we go again.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
outofbounds@Wintergreenresort.com ... he just emailed me recently saying he wanted to be part of the MADHRA series. Anybody want to forward a link to this review so he can know what the issues are? Or better yet, the author of this review may want to restructure his comments into a more "constructive and concerned" critique and e-mail him directly. Then let us know how he responds.

Apparently there is a new guy running the program so if you let him know...maybe it can be changed.

No sense slamming the joint since the places we have to ride are getting fewer and fewer. Everybody email them your concerns...let them know you WANT to ride there BAD!! but not if they aren't goinig to make the effort.

Positive change comes from positive efforts.

2piece

Chimp
May 30, 2004
Wake Forest, NC.
bizutch said:
Or better yet, the author of this review may want to restructure his comments into a more "constructive and concerned" critique and e-mail him directly. Then let us know how he responds.

Positive change comes from positive efforts.[/QUOTE]

Good idea. I'll keep you posted

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
bizutch said:
outofbounds@Wintergreenresort.com ... he just emailed me recently saying he wanted to be part of the MADHRA series. Anybody want to forward a link to this review so he can know what the issues are? Or better yet, the author of this review may want to restructure his comments into a more "constructive and concerned" critique and e-mail him directly. Then let us know how he responds.

Apparently there is a new guy running the program so if you let him know...maybe it can be changed.

No sense slamming the joint since the places we have to ride are getting fewer and fewer. Everybody email them your concerns...let them know you WANT to ride there BAD!! but not if they aren't goinig to make the effort.

I'll email them tonight. I'll be as professional and nice as I can because I agree that we need every place we can get to ride.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
here we go again, they act as if they are willing to work with us :rolleyes: that'll be the day, oh how I miss the days when riders were maintaining the trails.......

edit: bizutch, I'm sure you have thought about this, but I would not recommend sending MADHRA racers down any of these trails, before having them worked on....... most of them if not all at this point are just not safe...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
From everything I have heard about the place, it seems that the problem is the people in charge are not riders. All the good trails there last year were built by a small group of riders who are no longer welcome on the mountain.
Unless they are willing to hire somebody to fix the problem it is not going to get any better.
I hope it is fixed though. The SE needs as many lift assisted places as we can get.

2piece

Chimp
May 30, 2004
Wake Forest, NC.
Castle said:
most of them if not all at this point are just not safe...
I agree with Castle. Safety should be on the minds of all WG staff, for everyone who visits this resort. Riding , hiking or whatever. Having seen the course in this condition, I just have to wonder and question the management decisions or lack there of....

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
bizutch said:

Not that I have ever been to wintergreen or know anything more than what I have read, so dont slam me, but it sure is nice to see someone in the mtb community thinking of positive ways to change the system, rather than bitching about whats wrong with it. This is not directed at anyone, I just notice this a lot. "There is no scene here, there is no place to ride" well then build something damnit! Just an observation. Thanks for the heads up 2piece, I definately will not be visiting unless they get their stuff together.