Quantcast

Winter/wet riding jackets

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I am thinking about getting a winter/wet riding jacket that does not cost a fortune, can wear off the bike, and does a good job repelling the elements. I have not dove into it real deep, but one that really stands out to me is the new Raceface Hoodlum found here. Do you all have any comments on it, and/or other ones that are less than $130?

-Brett

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I bought one of these at Frugal Backpacker for $15.00.
http://www.rei.com/product/837383/sierra-designs-hurricane-rain-jacket-mens

The pit zips are extra long, collar is lined soft and off the bike, I actually get compliments on it all around town. Has interior and exterior pockets lined with mesh to vent. Every review of it is typically awesome and you can find it online through google shopping or any of the other search engines...DIRT CHEAP!

Hoody even tucks into the collar if you're not a hoody guy. Seriously an absurdly nice jacket with lots of tiny features I love. I had to buy it in extra large though because it is slim fit. :thumb:

Plus, when you fall at Windrock and rip it, you want cry over money lost.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
On and off the bike? on the cheap??? Frogs, just do not use the frog pants for moto.... You tap that exhaust and they instantly melt. Riding, camping, fishing, hiking, just sitting in the rain because.... Frogs have never let me down

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I got one of these based on the reviews of its breathability.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-vaporshell-jacket-mens

Totally waterproof, no pockets which is nice for riding as they arent needed, big pit zips if you overwhelm the fabric, nice trim athletic fit so doesnt flap around and longish arms so your wrists stay covered when you are leaning over on the bars. Its not super duper light but for the price its hard to beat.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have tried "waterproof" jackets of all brands and everyone of them will make you wetter from sweat than the elements here in the South.

I personally have settled on long sleeve wool shirts of varying thicknesses from Icebreaker. Wool breaths awesomely and retains its warmth even wet. I carry a light windbreaker from Go Lite to throw on when the wind is brutal.

But as one guy mentioned Fox is pretty good. I have a moto jacket from them that excelled in all conditions.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've been using an Endura Jacket for the last 3 winters. It's pretty light and has a bunch of pockets. It's not the heaviest but if it's really cold I just put on another layer under it. It's waterproof for anything other than a torrential downpour, and they are a UK based company so they know a few things about riding in mucky weather. I think I picked it up for 70-80 bucks.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Wait... so you're telling me you want to mountain bike, and not get wet and muddy..?
Haha! I dont care to get muddy when it is warm, but i do care about it when it is really cold outside and i wanna be shuttling/riding for 5 hours. I will take a look at the Fox ones. Thanks and keep em coming.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
One other thing I would add: All of these modern jackets are typically designed to wear under your Camelbak, which pretty much sucks for biking. The happiest I ever was when I bought a $10 windreaker from Wal-Mart that was big enough to fit OVER my Camelbak. It breathes much better, is super comfortable and ventilation is better than ever having anything stylish (no matter how technical) swamping me under my Camelbak.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
We got some plastic poncho-type wear for shuttling/Whistler. You don't care if it gets ripped, and it really keeps you dry.

For a little more money, basically any basic jacket that says "waterproof" (not "water resistant") should do the trick. Try REI, backcountry.com, or keep an eye on chainlove.com, steepandcheep.com, whiskeymilitia.com, and bonktown.com for one deal at a time for super cheap. Oh yeah, and theclymb.com always has something waterproof for relatively cheap.