Quantcast

Winter riding pants

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I needs some. Basically what I want is:

-Waterproof, or close to it.
-Durable. I crash sometimes. Perhaps some kind of reinforced knee?
-Not super warm/insulated. It's not that cold here, just wet.
-Not crinkly rain shell type material.

Go!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Still no snow here in Anchorage :(

Anyways, during the cold season, what works best here is XC skiing stuff. Softshell tops and xc ski pants. Mountain biking generates way more heat than DH skiing or snowboarding, as well as it does it for much more sustained periods. Breathable stuff is absolutely critical. Most use craft/swix type pants that have a shell on the front side, and breathable stuff on the rear. These work well into the single digits or so, and then just put some nylon running pants over the top and you create a air-layer that insulates and brings you back to goodness. I made the mistake once here of wearing my snowboarding pants. Big mistake.

As far as in warmer temps, you're going to have a problem with anything too sealed up, they'll trap too much body heat and you'll end up fairly soaked anyways.

If you are afraid of looking all goofy, just wear your riding shorts over the pants.

We had an Ice-Crit on a frozen lake (with studded tires) a few nights ago and I caught one view where everyone in my sight had the exact same Craft pants. Some armor was a good idea though (frozen lake.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I just ride in a pair of old Burton snowboarding pants that are basically just a shell with a lot of pockets. Just getting into the fat bike thing, so I'm trying to figure it all out. So far the pants work great. Legs never get cold. I rode last saturday and it dropped down to about 13 degrees. My toes started getting a little cold, and my fingers and ears. Legs are never an issue because you're constantly using them.