Quantcast

Windham WC Track Preview

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I think track conditions will be a huge factor, it was very dry and grainy this weekend, plenty more grip here when its a bit wetter, and it holds the track together, I can see a dusty track deteriorating and getting very rough-if that even matters to the unhuman riding capabilities of those athletes

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Great looking track, altho it looks like the rider came up a "little short" on the road gap, and the lower jumps appear to be dorps to falt - altho I can assume landers will be there for the WC event.
I did tag the road gap with the rear wheel. You have to go very fast-an it feels lile you will overshoot it but its sucj a flat speed jump that it wont be a problem for any wc rider. I did send it cleaner and it was very good. Just not in this video. The landings at the bottom will be re-shaped to land smoother. That was the purpose of having us up there. Expect a SICK world cup track!

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for posting this! I'm not so nervous about it anymore. Though those big jumps at the bottom... what happens if you don't make it? Will there be an option to go short without dying?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Thanks for posting this! I'm not so nervous about it anymore. Though those big jumps at the bottom... what happens if you don't make it? Will there be an option to go short without dying?
not exactly, its either make them or roll them. right hip 40 into a 60 double

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151040832717463

Both landings are being re-shaped to be a bit more steep rather than the half rainbow type shape they have now.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the course looks in rough shape compared to last year after the huge storm that rolled through last year.

Last edited:

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Track looks cool...I didn't make it last year....but I was there in 2010...and I've always wondered why they took out, and or, reshaped some of the gnarliest bits??? Gator rock at the very beginning is no longer on the course, ( because Mik Hannah ef'd up his shoulder on it?) and I heard that "Peaty's Plunge" got dialed way back and isn't as "droppable" as it was when Peate exploded at the bottom in 2010...did the UCI tell them to dial the course back?? Some guy at Dirt Mag went so far as to question if it was even WC level when interviewing riders last year..? Now there are long pedally sections across the grass??? I'm going this year and I'm stupid excited...just wondering why it got changed so radically??

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
all the riders love it. Those "long pedaly sections across the grass" are much faster and steep than they look. riders will be pedaling but i wouldnt call it a pedal section. it may be a little smoother than other tracks but that doesnt make it easier to race.

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
all the riders love it. Those "long pedaly sections across the grass" are much faster and steep than they look. riders will be pedaling but i wouldnt call it a pedal section. it may be a little smoother than other tracks but that doesnt make it easier to race.
I would also argue that the intermittent ginormous jumps negate any smooth grassy bits.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Track looks cool...I didn't make it last year....but I was there in 2010...and I've always wondered why they took out, and or, reshaped some of the gnarliest bits??? Gator rock at the very beginning is no longer on the course, ( because Mik Hannah ef'd up his shoulder on it?) and I heard that "Peaty's Plunge" got dialed way back and isn't as "droppable" as it was when Peate exploded at the bottom in 2010...did the UCI tell them to dial the course back?? Some guy at Dirt Mag went so far as to question if it was even WC level when interviewing riders last year..? Now there are long pedally sections across the grass??? I'm going this year and I'm stupid excited...just wondering why it got changed so radically??
The track isnt very hard to ride, I venture to say that it COULD be used as a Cat 2 race course, that said, it will be VERY hard to race. Any pro should be able to get under 3 minutes. IMHO. However, any mistakes will be very costly. Its a track that rewards consistency and flow, rather than just hamming down rock gardens. You go outa the gate and have a 75 foot drag race to the woods, where it gets steep, loose, and moderately straight. The first grass section you ride is very steep, and relatively rough, it may not show it in the video, but its choppyness and the fact that its a left corner will make it pretty tricky at race pace. Next wooods section is open and fast, relatively flat-have to carry speed. Rip into the 46 foot road gap that is more or less impossible to overshoot. The challenge begins, you will have to carry all the speed over the road gap into a tight left berm to flat right corner, the next 45 seconds to a minute are flat woods sections, that have (speed) tech stuff built in. errors will be punished in these sections. pop out onto the grass (the only other flat grassy section aside from the gate) and jump into the woods onto an off camber rocky turn. One of the hardest parts of the track IMO. after that is the rock garden, which is WC rough-despite only being 50 feet long. That "lame long grassy section" is very steep into the 30 foot step down, that requires a ton of speed-that the pros will easily make double. expect gnarly scrubs into peatys plunge, which is still equally huck-to-flatable as it was. Container drop into a 40 foot right hip, into a 60 foot double-which should be a reach even to the pros. Bottom line is that this track may not be technicaly, but its very fast, and will require extremely consistent riding, as mistakes will be punished. I tend to think if I was a WC rider, that this would be one of my favorite tracks. Its worth attending-ill be there :thumb: