Quantcast

Windham Patriot bike rally thread

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Watching the speed they carry through pretty much every bit of that track is unreal to watch. The other thing that always blows my mind is how quiet their bikes are. Almost silent. Except for the few Intenses of course. Still sound like tin cans.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Watching the speed they carry through pretty much every bit of that track is unreal to watch. The other thing that always blows my mind is how quiet their bikes are. Almost silent. Except for the few Intenses of course. Still sound like tin cans.
that stuck out to me too.. i think connor feerons bike was dead silent

me and the boys were watching them practice before the race at peatys drop... hoolly sh*t

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
as of right now i have no place to stay, sleeping in the car isn't an ideal option, which leaves me at a day trip with 8+ hours of driving
we had two open beds in our condo, we did have two 8 year old kids with us, so bringing whores back to the condo was not entirely an option, but you should have hit me up (not that you knew)

it looks great up top, but it kind of opens up at the bottom. looks like it could have zipped through one more woods section.
It could have, but it's not like the open section wasn't steep and didn't offer up plenty of room for errors. Saw lots of stumbles on that section of track during practice.
so, what's the expected spectator outcome this year? 1000? 2000? or will windham finally have a decent crowd?
I thought it seemed a bit thin, but looked "similar" in pictures to the other venues. So I can't exactly tell.

I will say this, when the wife kids and buddy and I all headed out to the after party, lazer lights show and fire works we couldn't believe how few people were out there partying with the DJ, it was weak sauce. I don't know where everyone went, my only guess is that with all of us racing the ESC the next day everyone went to bed?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
we couldn't believe how few people were out there partying with the DJ, it was weak sauce. I don't know where everyone went, my only guess is that with all of us racing the ESC the next day everyone went to bed?
yeah we saw the weak sauce and left.. and all the pros packed up quick because they were whistler bound and day drinking really kills ya ahah

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
@jonkranked - He did end up racing. As soon as we arrived at Windham I made him hike bottom to top of the citizens course, then top to bottom so we could practice thursday before the crowds came. He felt confident he could ride the entire course. First run he had two small foot dabs. He had a blast, everyone was super cool when they caught up to us and waited patiently to pass. It was really cool.

He made a goal of an 8 minute race run and to beat at least one person in his class 0-14 cat 3.

He got down in 7:12 and beat one other racer in his class. 24" wheels for the win :rofl:

Wife took second in amateur women, and I took 3rd in cat 2 30-39 men.

Overall it was a great weekend.

@trumbullhucker I chatted with you and your facepainted/bodypainted buddies for a minute in the rock garden while the pros were coming down. I was in a platty t-shirt with bright yellow/lime troy lee shorts, my two kids and I were annoyingly blowing our voovoozellas.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Yeah it was super fun for him. It certainly didn't hurt Saturday that he was able to go and get photo's with all the pro's after the race, he got to meet gwinn and ratboy and peaty and rachel and troy and sam and.....yeah, his stoke level was through the roof.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Except for the few Intenses of course. Still sound like tin cans.
thats weird because i made a comment every time i saw an M9 about how quiet the bikes actually were. mine is pretty damn quiet and im sure if i had a clutch derailleur like most of the riders probably do, then itd be on par

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
not to go off topic but they dont make 9 spd clutch derailleurs do they, correct? i would buy one in a heartbeat

@kickstand that is awesome! haha i was tempted to plaster some kind of ridemonkey meme like " moar shimz" on my shirt or something, but the t shirt did just fine. nice to meet you, kinda! haha

Last edited:

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
not to go off topic but they dont make 9 spd clutch derailleurs do they, correct? i would buy one in a heartbeat
It's pretty simple to run a 10sp Shimano clutch derailleur with a SRAM 9 speed shifter.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/those-were-interested-9-10-speed-rear-derailer-adapters-260348/

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/anyone-using-9-speed-sram-shifter-shimano-10-speed-derailleur-257028/index2/

I have a bike set up with big ted's adapter, but before that I used a square nut and some washers from Home Depot along with a longer bolt and the shifting is flawless.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

@kickstand that is awesome! haha i was tempted to plaster some kind of ridemonkey meme like " moar shimz" on my shirt or something, but the t shirt did just fine. nice to meet you, kinda! haha
Likewise. We chatted with your group for a few. Actually you (or one of the guys in your group) gave my buddy **** for drinking Labatt's, I was able to redeem myself by drinking a michigan beer.

All this talk of clutch derailuers being quiet.....I don't know that I buy it

My trail and DH bikes both have clutches (zee and X9), last year I had X9 on both bikes....I don't think I notice much difference.

I too thought the M9's (specifically a blue one I saw a few times) was pretty loud, though one of my buddies ran an M9 and his bike was damn near silent.

I think it's hard to compare what the WC guys bikes sound like compared to ours, simply because we're on our bike, while theirs is just riding past us.

I do notice that I hear their tires (or what I perceive to be their tires) making a lot more noise slamming rocks than the mere mortals do when I spectate ESC or GES races.

I guess it's fun to debate all of this stuff. In other words, I need to get out of work and go ride my bike again. :D

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
It's pretty simple to run a 10sp Shimano clutch derailleur with a SRAM 9 speed shifter.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/those-were-interested-9-10-speed-rear-derailer-adapters-260348/

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/anyone-using-9-speed-sram-shifter-shimano-10-speed-derailleur-257028/index2/

I have a bike set up with big ted's adapter, but before that I used a square nut and some washers from Home Depot along with a longer bolt and the shifting is flawless.
My buddy has a similar set up on his turner. He breaks a lot of shifter cables, anyone else running into that?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct

very interesting... repped. im tempted to try this out with my DHR coming in the mail

Likewise. We chatted with your group for a few. Actually you (or one of the guys in your group) gave my buddy **** for drinking Labatt's, I was able to redeem myself by drinking a michigan beer.
lol what the hell, was it my friend painted totally red? cause he was friggen hammered haha
it could have been me cause i dont remember either lol. i was drinking bud light so i dont think i would make fun of someone drinking labatts ( my excuse was that bud light was hydrating haha)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hmmmm, I don't remember, I was a bit beyond buzzed myself. It was a joke because the labatt's had the canada leaf and the budweiser or bud light or whatever had the american flag, maybe it wasn't your group? I don't know, I was just drinking beer, yelling loudly, and acting obnoxious, very good times.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
did anyone get that ungracious winner vibe from Peaty and the Syndicate camp?
Not at all, I chatted with Bryceland for a few minutes right before the podium. I am not sure who was harder to understand my drunk ass, or his random mumblings. He took a photo with my son and seemed super stoked to have won. I then asked him where peaty was and he pointed him out to me so my son could ask for a photo, Peaty was also super cool, even put his beer down for the photo because "i'm takin' a photo with a kid, no need for the beer to be in there"

I thought it was pretty classy on both guys parts to take a few seconds to chat and give us a photo.