Quantcast

Windham Patriot bike rally thread

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
In keeping with the North American theme, the WC now moves southeast to Freedomland ™ for the next round of gravity [SUP]E=MC^2[/SUP] rally biking.

Pre-race points of interest:

* No repeat winners this season
* I could get down with Manon Carpenter
* I've heard all UK riders will be wearing the latest TLD race jackets, which in this case look exactly like Royal Marine overcoats - circa 1775
* Windham is about 1/2 as long as MSA - Rach and Peaty have stoke
* Windham is not as gnar as VDS...e-bitching will ensue. But at least its not as "tired" as MSA and Ft. Bill
* Overall points are as tight as my 43 year old bladder (i.e. very)
* FSR 2 wins, VPP 1 win, SPs = 2 wins
* weather looks dry and pleasant (this will likely cause many UK riders to become disoriented and start speaking in tongues - but it will have the opposite effect on Ratboy, who will speak coherently for the first time...ever)

Frank & Beans podium:

1. Rat - as explained above, he will be focused, serious and grumpy (G-man is stoked, and offers a twitchy "smile")
2. T-Broz - sporting a new asymmetrical, lighter oversized trucker hat, he maintains a slim overall points lead
3. Gwinner - breaks out the Enduro EVO WTF bike again, but the symmetrical seat tube is his undoing
4. Minnaar - despite the poor accelerating and flat prone new 650 V10c, he makes a respectable showing
5. jonkranked and sandwich - pull out a solid 5th place on jon's Expresso bike, equipped with 2.8 Intense NOS tires and panniers (for sandwich to perch upon and whisper sweet nothings about anti-skwatz in Jon's ear)

The fairer sex:

1. Rach - short and to the point fits her fitness level at the moment
2. Manon - is too distracted thinking about me and my sweet nano-tables to pull out a win
3. Ragot - likes the 3 spot
4. Hannah - mind is too clouded with catty jealousy
5. Kintner - I'm not as fast as Bryn, but I can definitely drink more than him. Just sayin

Last edited:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
repped for smoking crack and making a thread OP lmao

but where is the beer? or are we walking trackside with a very heavy bookbag

edit: i am going full 'merica

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
If Sam doesn't pull a back to back, I hope Bruni or Hart get a first win. Or yet another winner on the year.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
no offense to any right coasters ... but how is it Windham has another WC?

Is it simply a case of them being willing and able to put on a show? I mean, it's not like there aren't other US sites capable of hosting a race or which have put n WC races in the past. Is it a convenience thing, like "hey we still have a lot of course tape left over, let's have another World Cup."?

(no, I've never ridden nor even seen Windham.)

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Is it simply a case of them being willing and able to put on a show? I mean, it's not like there aren't other US sites capable of hosting a race or which have put n WC races in the past. Is it a convenience thing, like "hey we still have a lot of course tape left over, let's have another World Cup."?

because they ponied up the money and submitted a bid to the UCI. just like every other venue that is hosting a WC event.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I haven't followed WC racing in 4-5 years, but I plan on getting obliterated drunk and having sloppy sex in a tent.

That still very much part of the DH race scene?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
OK. I have no idea of what goes into organizing something like this. It just seems like the WC as a whole could try harder to include more new or different sites to keep things fresh.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
also, cedric retired.

True, but there is a reasonable chance Ced will also be getting stumbling drunk and banging a chick(s) in a tent and/or on a car hood, so Crab should be in good company.

And if you have to bring your dog, keep him/her well away from the track. The new 650 hoops just roll right over'em apparently.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seriously. As a true right coaster, I believe it should be at plattekill, where the one toilet will be just fine, and having two hotels in 50 miles is AOK. Also, there should be fire.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
seriously. As a true right coaster, I believe it should be at plattekill, where the one toilet will be just fine, and having two hotels in 50 miles is AOK. Also, there should be fire.
Everyone knows the WC should be at Lynn Woods. Mandatory that all racers ride Sinister R9s. Track starts behind the Jeep dealership, walk up to the water tower, bomb down the powerline trail, then bushwhack through the swamp to get back.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whiteface........grumble grumble......huge Olympic infrastructure grumble grumble........

Everyone knows the WC should be at Lynn Woods. Mandatory that all racers ride Sinister R9s. Track starts behind the Jeep dealership, walk up to the water tower, bomb down the powerline trail, then bushwhack through the swamp to get back.
Pisspots only. I hear Vietnam put in a new double, it looked sick with all the bullits with dual crowns flying over it.

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
I agree with kidwoo, Whiteface should be the spot. Its much bigger.

Windham kinda pisses the locals off here in NY (and I'm sure other places) because they are willing to host a WC but the rest of the year its unridable to anyone.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree with kidwoo, Whiteface should be the spot. Its much bigger.
they certainly have the terrain & infrastructure.

my understanding is that the problem is the mountain is technically state property. so they have to get approval from the state for pretty much anything. mike has been doing a fantastic job not only maintaining but increasing access there (ie adding new trails). hosting a UCI event is a whooooole other can of worms tho

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
whiteface........grumble grumble......huge Olympic infrastructure grumble grumble........
Lake Placid was the last of the "small town" Olympics....

The infrastructure that was in place for the Olympics is pretty humble.
The terrain where the DH ski race was is quite impressive though.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
OK. I have no idea of what goes into organizing something like this. It just seems like the WC as a whole could try harder to include more new or different sites to keep things fresh.
What? Why? They aren't running a charity full of pats on the back for a job well done. Its a business, and they receive a big chunk of change from venues wanting to host a WC race. Some venues see the value/returns to local business in exchange for putting up the money to host, so they consistently put the money out to host.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Only 30 seconds?

Doesn't he race expert/semipro, or even pro these days? It isn't that long of a course, 30 seconds sounds like a lot of a time deduction, that trail/race tends to be pretty tight times, I could see it being even less then 30 seconds.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Lake Placid was the last of the "small town" Olympics....

The infrastructure that was in place for the Olympics is pretty humble.
The terrain where the DH ski race was is quite impressive though.
has to be on par with Windham though! I think there just isn't enough money to wave in the UTI's face. Plus, it could be a bit of a challenge with the course being over 6 minutes long, so they'd have to run it from mid-mountain, which they may not be equipped for. They'd either have to ride halfway down to start the race, or use a chairlift that isn't equipped. Plus, the state seems to hate cycling, so that's a bit of a hurdle.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
because they ponied up the money and submitted a bid to the UCI. just like every other venue that is hosting a WC event.
Thank You. I don't understand why this comes up every year, it's not like UCI picked Windham over (insert other mountain resort) because they thought it was a better mountain/course. A venue that wants to host a WC has to submit a comprehensive bid package that involves a lot more than just the course. I read a few years ago that only 2-3 US sites even submitted bids, with Windham's overall venue/course/lift/logistics etc. being the best. The UCI doesn't seek out sites, it sits back and waits for bids to come in, they want to do as little work as possible.

This is the same reason everyone always asks why Whistler never hosts a WC event, because it's a PITA to submit a bid package and deal with UCI, not to mention they would actually lose money hosting a WC versus being open for normal business.

I went to the first two Windham races and while the course might not be as gnar/rox/cool as other venues I was just happy to be attending a WC race in Amerka!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Thank You. I don't understand why this comes up every year, it's not like UCI picked Windham over (insert other mountain resort) because they thought it was a better mountain/course. A venue that wants to host a WC has to submit a comprehensive bid package that involves a lot more than just the course. I read a few years ago that only 2-3 US sites even submitted bids, with Windham's overall venue/course/lift/logistics etc. being the best. The UCI doesn't seek out sites, it sits back and waits for bids to come in, they want to do as little work as possible.

This is the same reason everyone always asks why Whistler never hosts a WC event, because it's a PITA to submit a bid package and deal with UCI, not to mention they would actually lose money hosting a WC versus being open for normal business.

I went to the first two Windham races and while the course might not be as gnar/rox/cool as other venues I was just happy to be attending a WC race in Amerka!
This.

I am going this weekend, it will be my first World Cup event and I am excited.

I plan on being top 10 in my category for the regular peoples race, so far I am a lock with only about 6 in my cat :D

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

every year? hell it comes up like every other race.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
has to be on par with Windham though! I think there just isn't enough money to wave in the UTI's face. Plus, it could be a bit of a challenge with the course being over 6 minutes long, so they'd have to run it from mid-mountain, which they may not be equipped for. They'd either have to ride halfway down to start the race, or use a chairlift that isn't equipped. Plus, the state seems to hate cycling, so that's a bit of a hurdle.
lack of money isn't the issue. it's getting the approval from the state.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Doesn't he race expert/semipro, or even pro these days? It isn't that long of a course, 30 seconds sounds like a lot of a time deduction, that trail/race tends to be pretty tight times, I could see it being even less then 30 seconds.

Not sure what class he's in, but it just seemed *really* slow in parts (which to be fair, may just be the video feed or something). As in almost jackalope slow. But I also remember it being about a 2 minute track, and I think he got down ~2:30", so you very well may be right.

Regardless, its WC racing and my stoke meter will be pegged on Saturday.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Not sure what class he's in, but it just seemed *really* slow in parts (which to be fair, may just be the video feed or something). As in almost jackalope slow. But I also remember it being about a 2 minute track, and I think he got down ~2:30", so you very well may be right.

The first year I think gwin won around 2:25ish. Its a really fast course, average speed for the pros, even through the "rock gardens" is like 20-25 mph+. Once they get up to speed they don't slow down until the finish, even the flat sections of the course are after big steep sections so you keep speed really easily. The mountain has decent elevation, the average time on the amateur course was 4-5mins, the pro course takes a bunch of fall lines so you lose all of your elevation in big chunks over the course of just a few seconds.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

He races pro class at GES and ESC events. He's faster than me. He runs 30 psi in his minions, and his kit is brand new.