Quantcast

Windham opening in 2015!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So what does or will windham offer that mtn creek or plattekill does not already? plattekill you can burn things, and diablo creek has great trail building, a fast lift, and proximity to the city.

It's a bit like opening a mcdonald's next to a burger king, and talking about the variety.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So what does or will windham offer that mtn creek or plattekill does not already? plattekill you can burn things, and diablo creek has great trail building, a fast lift, and proximity to the city.

It's a bit like opening a mcdonald's next to a burger king, and talking about the variety.
read the link. a little thing called "Gravity Logic"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
didn't mtn creek also have a brand name "feature" designer for a while? How many trails can windham really build in the next ~6mo (excluding ski season)? How is gravity logic building a park at windham and at killington?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
didn't mtn creek also have a brand name "feature" designer for a while?
i think they just gave their in-house group a name?

How many trails can windham really build in the next ~6mo (excluding ski season)?
enough. they will probably be building in spring as well.

How is gravity logic building a park at windham and at killington?
they either have enough employees to have teams at each mountain, or sorcery.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Damn bike industry, shoving this new mountain down our throats. We already have two options, why do we need a third? Platty for life, yo!

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Oh the horror, I'll have to ride Platty and Windham in one weekend!
To be honest I don't get to go to Platty nearly enough, having 2 places to go within close proximity of each other only sweetens the deal for me. Of course I'll still be doing my camping at Platty.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh the horror, I'll have to ride Platty and Windham in one weekend!
To be honest I don't get to go to Platty nearly enough, having 2 places to go within close proximity of each other only sweetens the deal for me. Of course I'll still be doing my camping at Platty.
this. i'd love to see the mountains join up and offer a weekend pass for 1 day at both mountains.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i want to get a beer with sandwich and find out if he is really this miserable and backwards thinking, i doubt it.
I'm pretty miserable, but I don't think I'm backwards thinking, yet. I've got a few more years before I start saying "back in my day" and "we should all just ride rigids".

Here's what I posted on mtbr
It dilutes the field, it doesn't draw more. So, less people are going to go to mt creek and plattekill, but it's not like all of a sudden there's going to be more riders. plattekill and mt creek will respond with mediocrity, because they can't afford to build new trails with less riders. Windham will respond with lukewarm glee now that they've spent oodles of money but are only drawing 50% of the rider pool in the area, because some people are still going to go to plattekill and mt creek.

It's the same case in new england. We have killington, jiminy, mt snow, sugarbush, attitash, and burke. The rise and existence of highland has not caused these places to step up their level of trailbuilding, it's caused them to care less, because there's less riders visiting now.

So, my prediction is that windham throws a bunch of money down, sees a fair showing for the first month, sees a steady decline in the number of riders, refuses to build more trails until the ridership increases, which causes ridership to decline further, and they close up operations not long after.

Mountain biking just isn't that lucrative unless you go all out, with complete 100% commitment and a dedicated local rider pool to make it happen. That's why whistler and highland are so successful.
I'm just afraid that windham is going to torpedo the other local parks because they'll draw all the riders there, then get bored when they see that they can't be as lucrative as whistler unless they build 20 high quality trails. Nobody is going to travel from california to ride windham unless they have the volume and rider dedication that whistler has. Could they? Yeah, some day, but the fact that they've had 5 years to open a bike park and haven't, and that gravity logic is also supposedly building a park at killington that's also going to be "the [other] whistler of the east", I just don't see this ending well.

I hope that makes sense. I don't wanna poopoo another park, especially for riders further west that don't have all the mediocre options I do in new england, but the timing and excitement level have me concerned.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
you only ride your rigid 29'er in streams.
According to most advertising I see, you're supposed to carry your bike across the stream, or at least stand ankle deep in it and stare off into the distance with your bike on your shoulder.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
According to most advertising I see, you're supposed to carry your bike across the stream, or at least stand ankle deep in it and stare off into the distance with your bike on your shoulder.
is this an enduro technique or cyclocross technique? i'm confused.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and that gravity logic is also supposedly building a park at killington that's also going to be "the [other] whistler of the east", I just don't see this ending well.
i forgot about them working with Killington. should be interesting to see how much more work will go into Killington based on Windham not opening many trails

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I know i am only one measly customer.

But.....

My wife and I enjoy racing, we certainly enjoy racing a LOT more at parks that have multiple trails for us to enjoy that are well marked and easy to navigate.

We're much more willing to come and spend money at Seven Springs , Mountain Creek, Snowshoe, Platty, and Launch. (we're heading to blue mountain in september to check it out as well) than we are willing to go and race at Duryea, Massanutten, etc. Where we only have a race course to ride after an 8-12 hour car ride.

For us, this will make Windham a more attractive race venue for us. Having the world cup at the same time as our race was cool, but we did miss the ability to go take some fun/mellow runs as well.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They're (Gravity Logic) also building one or two new trails at Blue Mountain up here in Ontario. Though they won't be long trails and probably just some quickies they'll bang off in a heart beat.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know i am only one measly customer.

But.....

My wife and I enjoy racing, we certainly enjoy racing a LOT more at parks that have multiple trails for us to enjoy that are well marked and easy to navigate.

We're much more willing to come and spend money at Seven Springs , Mountain Creek, Snowshoe, Platty, and Launch. (we're heading to blue mountain in september to check it out as well) than we are willing to go and race at Duryea, Massanutten, etc. Where we only have a race course to ride after an 8-12 hour car ride.

For us, this will make Windham a more attractive race venue for us. Having the world cup at the same time as our race was cool, but we did miss the ability to go take some fun/mellow runs as well.
blue mountain pa? when?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Clones - Gravity Logic uses clones.

They are also currently up here in the Ontario part of Canukistan building a couple of new trails at BlueMountain.
One will be a progressive Blue, the other will be a progressive Back.
The new Black trail is supposed to be open in September...

m

Edit - Beaten to teh punch by canadmos

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
To Sandwich's point there are some pretty terrible mountains out there. I hear Sugarbush has stepped up it's game, but it was NOT worth the trip 2 years ago. It will take a couple years of you guys claiming it's great now for me to give it a second chance.

There are more mediocre mountains around the East Coast, but I won't bother going into naming names. I am not convinced these spots have enough local ridership $ to sustain quality trails, and they certainly won't become destination mountains (like Highland) with what they have on offer.

Our sport is growing, I think, but it's not growing all that fast.

PS I hope Windham proves us wrong and gives Mountain Creek a run for it's money.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To Sandwich's point there are some pretty terrible mountains out there. I hear Sugarbush has stepped up it's game, but it was NOT worth the trip 2 years ago. It will take a couple years of you guys claiming it's great now for me to give it a second chance.

There are more mediocre mountains around the East Coast, but I won't bother going into naming names. I am not convinced these spots have enough local ridership $ to sustain quality trails, and they certainly won't become destination mountains (like Highland) with what they have on offer.

Our sport is growing, I think, but it's not growing all that fast.

PS I hope Windham proves us wrong and gives Mountain Creek a run for it's money.
definitely agree with a lot of your points.

it's not gonna generate a lot of local user base. it'll be a destination. i think with gravity logic's help that will come to fruition. first off, they recognize to draw people they need experienced builders (aka GL) which is a good sign. second, i would def agree its not great now, but has a LOT of potential. remember their 4x course? 'twas awesome!

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
The vision and plan is to make this a destination for biking and a year around summer resort. They have already purchased the golf course and country club in town to expand their summer activities. There is already a substantial cross country trail network in the area for which there are plans to expand and link these trails to the mountain and town itself. The CEO of Windham knows that this will require a substantial investment and changes in the culture of the mountain and its employees. They know that they can't do a half-ass job(like a number of other ski areas in the NE) and expect to be successful.Everything is in place, great mountain/terrain, great town/facilities, location, momentum from WC - now its just gotta get done. The idea of a Windham-Platty race series is very intriguing!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The vision and plan is to make this a destination for biking and a year around summer resort. They have already purchased the golf course and country club in town to expand their summer activities.
Sounds very familiar. From the mountains I've seen on the other coast, when this approach is used, all it does is compromise the potential of bike trails. Mountains hire lifties already on the payroll from winter to save money, whether they know what they're doing with dirt or not, because, hey we need money for that zipline course too!

Biking gets thrown on the list of 'stuff to do at XXXXX mountain resort during your vacation' and not a dedicated outlet for what's a very committed and reliable customer base (IE people who already ride bikes a ton).

I hope that's not the case because it seems like every mountain in the US wants to be 'the american whistler' but with the exception of maybe mountain creek and highland, no one seems to understand what whistler actually did to get where they are today in the mountain bike scene.

I wish you guys luck.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
It's interesting but when you say destination...I wonder who they are envisioning drawing in for that. The Windham area has a lot of money, hence why they are able to host a WC, but DH'rs as a whole are the cheapest bunch of M'fers I've seen in any sport. Mostly because the equipment cost is so high they don't have any money for luxuries such as...health insurance. But, I digress.

My point is, they may not be looking to provide a product for the upper DH sect but maybe market to the intermediate group and families. Truth be told, Highland's numbers did not see a significant rise until they started offering intermediate and beginner trails. Their original 3 trails were all tough and turned a lot of people away. Now that they have those "easier" trails you see huge amounts of families, women and kids riding there and those are the groups that have to money to spend on other amenities such as lodging, golf etc.

So maybe GL will be building trails but they may not be the upper end trails that us super hard core stoked e riders want.

I think Killington has the best chance of becoming similar to Whistler and or Bromont for many of the same reasons those mountains were able to become successful Mtn biking destinations. Those reasons are that all of those places already have a successful infrastructure in place and they don't really need biking. In Windham's case, from what I've seen, there really is no infrastructure and it's lacking in businesses, sport shops, restaurants etc. Windham would have to create those to compliment the biking in order for it to become a true destination, which makes easing into it very difficult.

Maybe I just missed that part of Windham(?).

Last edited:
I hope that's not the case because it seems like every mountain in the US wants to be 'the american whistler' but with the exception of maybe mountain creek and highland, no one seems to understand what whistler actually did to get where they are today in the mountain bike scene.

I wish you guys luck.
if only mtn creek or highland had the vertical drop and acreage to complement their business plans....*sigh*