Quantcast

Will strep throat go away if I dont go to the doctor?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I been sick for like a week now and just today I noticed a ton of white spots in the back of my throat and it hurts real bad. BUT i gotta race this weekend and all that so Im wondering if this'll go away on its own if I give it a little time or do I have to see a doc?

Thanks.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have generally gone to the Dr. for the antibiotics, but

From WebMd.com
Strep throat will go away in 3 to 7 days with or without treatment. Antibiotics are effective in helping to relieve the symptoms of strep throat only if they are given within 48 to 72 hours after symptoms begin.1 However, treatment with antibiotics is used for strep throat for other reasons, even if it does not speed a person's recovery. Antibiotic treatment:

Will destroy the bacteria and will shorten the time you are contagious.
Can also help prevent some of the rare complications related either to the strep infection itself or to the body's immune response to the infection. Complications of strep throat are rare but can occur, especially if strep throat is not properly treated with antibiotics.
Will relieve a person's discomfort and speed healing to some degree.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
go to see a doc.

i had the same on a thursday at this same time of the year, last year, and i waited for it to fade.

bad decision. by sunday morning all i wanted was to get shot.
by the time i went to the doc, on monday afternoon, it was already fading.

going early could have saved me 48 hours of agony.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
If you're running a fever I wouldn't ride, let alone race. You could cause some serious damage to yourself by overheating.

Mike

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
TreeSaw said:
I have generally gone to the Dr. for the antibiotics, but

From WebMd.com
Strep throat will go away in 3 to 7 days with or without treatment. Antibiotics are effective in helping to relieve the symptoms of strep throat only if they are given within 48 to 72 hours after symptoms begin.1 However, treatment with antibiotics is used for strep throat for other reasons, even if it does not speed a person's recovery.

Well, Since Ive been sick a week anyway, I guess I missed my window of opportunity for a doctor to be able to help anyway. Thanks for the info Treesaw. Im already past the fever and the headaches, now its just the throat, so I should be ok racing...
I hope Im contagious and everyone else has to go through what I did. Mwahahaha

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
For common bugs like that, docs are a crock. Take it easy and get lots of sleep... you'll be fine. The only reason to see a doc is if you need relief from the symptoms and over the counter stuff doesn't work well enough for you.

I recommend NyQuill (about 4 times the recommended dose - I drink it straight from the bottle, like a beer) and plenty of sleep.

jacksonpt said:
I recommend NyQuill (about 4 times the recommended dose - I drink it straight from the bottle, like a beer) and plenty of sleep.
NyQuil keeps me awake. I've tried it a few different times and it always keeps me up - it sux :(

now coedine works great :thumb:

btw, for the white spots, my doc said drink lots of tea and gargle with warm salt water every couple of hours (I think that was the formula - its been about 8 years since I've had strep).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Antibiotics will knock it on its ass in under a week. Without them it could take a very long time to fully recover.

Take care of yourself though... otherwise it will get pretty bad.

Also, you could remove your tonsils with an exacto blade :D That might help :p

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
Also, you could remove your tonsils with an exacto blade :D That might help :p
LOL! There has to be a website out their on home surgery gone wrong!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MtnBikerChk said:
btw, for the white spots, my doc said drink lots of tea and gargle with warm salt water every couple of hours (I think that was the formula
Ditto on this remedy from my Dr. However it was along with antibiotics, but the gargaling with Salt water was the best relief from the actual symptoms.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Self diagnosis is really a bad idea. A former friend of mine self diagnosed himself with an ulcer. somehow got his hands on some ulcer meds. Turns out he really had ulcerative colitis. The ulcer meds aggravated it beyond belief and he was in very bad shape. They wanted to remove his entire colon at the age of 25. I lost touch with the guy, so I don't know what ever happened to his colon.

what were we talking about again?

(White spots on your throat can me all kinds of things... strep, tonsilitis.....HERPES... go see a doctor...)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i didn't haev strep but it was hella sore and cough and hack twice a night tilli though i was going to hurl. that went on for about a week, doc said i didn't have strep but gave me some anibiotics. a week today and i still have some drainage but i am 79% better.

i gargled salt water
clorasetic
nyquil
vitaman C
tylanol cough, now that is some nasty stuff
prolex

tought to kill virus

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, here's an update.

I am STILL SICK and my throat really hurts. The white spots have turned into big green blobs though. It got so bad that I went to the doctor finally, the day before yesterday and I got a shot and everything but, even though it has eased up a bit, life still sucks and Im missing school. I never knew a sore throat could take me out the game so bad. I havent really eaten or slept in 4 days now. If by tomorrow morning Im still in a world of hell, Im gunna go back to the doc and see about a triple dose of penicillan cause this really really REALLY sucks.

Hey, but the bears beat the pack sunday. Woohoo!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
If your skin starts flaking off, you develop smelly puss squirting boils, and you start craving human flesh, make sure you just off yourself and save your neighbors all the trouble.....

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
BurlySurly said:
Well, here's an update.

I am STILL SICK and my throat really hurts. The white spots have turned into big green blobs though. It got so bad that I went to the doctor finally, the day before yesterday and I got a shot and everything but, even though it has eased up a bit, life still sucks and Im missing school. I never knew a sore throat could take me out the game so bad. I havent really eaten or slept in 4 days now. If by tomorrow morning Im still in a world of hell, Im gunna go back to the doc and see about a triple dose of penicillan cause this really really REALLY sucks.

Hey, but the bears beat the pack sunday. Woohoo!
Big green blobs... that just nasty.
Next time you wont fuhk around when your throat hurts eh...

I started getting sick 4 days ago, sore throat, headaches, sore muscles, etc. So far I have put down 3 gallons of OJ and 2 liters of carrot juice in 3 days, eaten a weeks worth of eccinacia, and I have some percription(sp) anti-inflamatory stuff that knocks me clean out and stops my throat from hurting too much. Seems to be working too, feel somewhat better today and havent missed any work yet.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Not really the same topic but equally disgusting.

I woke up with a tooth ache yesterday and my gum starting swelling big time by the end of the day. I couldn't get to the dentist in time but the pressure on my jaw, ear and head was killing me.

So when I got home I got my swiss army knife out squeezed the swollen part tight and lanced the sucker and squeezed all this puss out. IT WAS SICK!

I was spitting this nasty bloody puss out for an hour even after rinsing with h2o2.

Now i feel all better.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
Big green blobs... that just nasty.
Next time you wont fuhk around when your throat hurts eh...

I started getting sick 4 days ago, sore throat, headaches, sore muscles, etc. <snip> havent missed any work yet.
Nice job spreading the Love like that, numbnuts. :mumble: :D

-S.S.-

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
Nice job spreading the Love like that, numbnuts. :mumble: :D

-S.S.-
Thats the idea. I caught it here at work because of the policy of "come to work unless you are incapable" now my job is to spread the love into the office where the policy originated.

Trust me, I'd rather stay home. But sick days arent paid, and you get attitude if you arent basically dying.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
bcd said:
i didn't haev strep but it was hella sore and cough and hack twice a night tilli though i was going to hurl. that went on for about a week, doc said i didn't have strep but gave me some anibiotics. a week today and i still have some drainage but i am 79% better.

i gargled salt water
clorasetic
nyquil
vitaman C
tylanol cough, now that is some nasty stuff
prolex

tought to kill virus

Bronchitis maybe?
Thats what I have now... its horrible and antibiotics do nothing.