Quantcast

Why don't companies post their helmet weights on their websites?

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
I'm looking for a lighter carbon helmet, but it seems very few companies (if any)post the actual weights. Can I make the assumption that the TLD D3 is the benchmark or what?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I never understood people who complained about helmet weight. It has to be comfortable. Unless you are a giraffe with an elephant head extra 200g will not affect your fatigue by much.

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
I never understood people who complained about helmet weight. It has to be comfortable. Unless you are a giraffe with an elephant head extra 200g will not affect your fatigue by much.
Yes, it does seem silly to fuss over a few g's,but I'm recovering from a L-5 disc herniation. When I start riding again I need to lighten the load as much as possible, including body and gear weight.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I run DOT lids because I crash a lot.
dude.... major ridemonkey faux pas....

DOT lids are totally not the current rage. If you don't have a bicycle specific helmet with lower density foam and a less rigid shell, you're probably going to die.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Make sure your helmet sits perfectly. If the helmet can move, it will cause additional forces to your head and will need additional strength in your neck.

By the way:
The Nema Player helmet (=Kabuto IXA) is claimed to have following weights:

Weight:
-XS/S Carbon: 880g
-XS/S FRP:900g

-M/L Carbon: 930g
-M/L FRP: 970g

-XL/XXL Carbon:1030g
-XL/XXL FRP: 1050g

My XL/XXL FRP weights exactly 1038g, so less than claimed.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Honest question: do helmet weights vary in weight via mfg process more then everything else on the market or something? I've seen two 3c minions off by +/-70g no problem and we still see avg weights for those.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Honest question: do helmet weights vary in weight via mfg process more then everything else on the market or something? I've seen two 3c minions off by +/-70g no problem and we still see avg weights for those.
from what i know of the processes used to make expanded polymers, i'm inclined to say yes. When you convert them from resin pellets to the interim expanded shape (but not final form), its done by volume, not weight (although the initial quantity of resin pellets is weigh checked).

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
wow, 10%+ variation in weight is a hell of a lot. It seems like you could order 2 helmets from the same mfg with the same name, and end up receiving two helmets provided completely different levels of protection despite looking identical. Why on earth is it worth paying so much for a high end helmet if they're so inconsistent? And also, I've seen plenty of weights listed for non full face helmets, what makes them different?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow, 10%+ variation in weight is a hell of a lot. It seems like you could order 2 helmets from the same mfg with the same name, and end up receiving two helmets provided completely different levels of protection despite looking identical. Why on earth is it worth paying so much for a high end helmet if they're so inconsistent? And also, I've seen plenty of weights listed for non full face helmets, what makes them different?
marketing? i'm guessing the kind of riders that are super concerned about the weight of a non FF helmet are probably weight weenies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
to your other point, regarding variation in weights, there's other factors that contribute to the variation of the final product weight. With some helmets a layer of glue is applied to the shell prior to inserting the foam liner, and i'd be willing to bet that there's quite a bit of variation in that.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
to your other point, regarding variation in weights, there's other factors that contribute to the variation of the final product weight. With some helmets a layer of glue is applied to the shell prior to inserting the foam liner, and i'd be willing to bet that there's quite a bit of variation in that.
ah, so the actual foam might not vary in weight (that much), it might instead be the other pieces that make the difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ah, so the actual foam might not vary in weight (that much), it might instead be the other pieces that make the difference.
bingo. its the sum of the variation of all components.

-shell
-foam liner (EPS)
-fitment padding
-chin strap + buckle
-visor
-hardware
-paint
-optional fin

rgunn26

Chimp
Jun 12, 2011
Thanks for posting weights. It seems that 1000 g's and under is considered light,with the lightest( so far )being the azonic dh 900 carbon at 790...