Quantcast

why do stinky's have one chainstay higher than the other

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Chainring clearance issues on the right side, the left is made straight because it's lighter, stronger, and easier that way. At least, that's the theory, kinda silly if you ask me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
how does a posi-track rear end work? I don't konw, it just "does"....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
c'mon guys enough one line speculations...

Ideally both stays would connect the main pivot to the dropout in as direct a path as possible but since there is a drive train on one side of a bicycle, there are certain obstacles to overcome in the design process. On the non-drive side a straight line can easily be achieved resulting in ultimate strength and lightweight. For the drive side there needs to be a curve, offset or asymmetry in order to allow for a decent amount of space between the chain both on both the top and bottom sides of the stay. This design helps to reduce annoying and noisy chain-slap. Also by lowering the drive-side stay there is enough clearance for the stay to not interfere with a front derailleur cage on full compression (if you choose to run one). Having 7" of travel and a front derailleur is what makes the Stinky such a great freeride bike in the first place. Some manufacturers bend both stays for a "cleaner" look but for the best performance an asymmetrical design is the way to go (at least on a 4-bar type bike that has the main pivot close to the BB shell). On a Bullit or elevated stay bike it is obviously not an issue because the stays are up and out of the way of the drive train for the most part.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
punkassean said:
c'mon guys enough one line speculations...

Ideally both stays would connect the main pivot to the dropout in as direct a path as possible but since there is a drive train on one side of a bicycle, there are certain obstacles to overcome in the design process. On the non-drive side a straight line can easily be achieved resulting in ultimate strength and lightweight. For the drive side there needs to be a curve, offset or asymmetry in order to allow for a decent amount of space between the chain both on both the top and bottom sides of the stay. This design helps to reduce annoying and noisy chain-slap. Also by lowering the drive-side stay there is enough clearance for the stay to not interfere with a front derailleur cage on full compression (if you choose to run one). Having 7" of travel and a front derailleur is what makes the Stinky such a great freeride bike in the first place. Some manufacturers bend both stays for a "cleaner" look but for the best performance an asymmetrical design is the way to go (at least on a 4-bar type bike that has the main pivot close to the BB shell). On a Bullit or elevated stay bike it is obviously not an issue because the stays are up and out of the way of the drive train for the most part.
Thanks man. Makes perfect sense. I do run a front der & an Evil DR's cause freeriding aint just about going down where I'm from either.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Talkingmonkey said:
Because they suck
Ah come on. You really love them. You just won't been seen in public with yours cause every one will see how fat she is.

Now I ask you, does this suck?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
big pimpin'!!! that is a rare bike you got there! Is that a 2001 Stinky Primo 5" or a 2002 limited edition 6" Stinky Primo. I remember a small batch that Kona did for wheelworld in '02 some were flat black and only like 5 were gloss. A few guys at my old shop got one. The Z150 is perfect for that bad boy! Talk about freeride set up like that! Where is "your neck of the woods" by the way?

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
punkassean said:
big pimpin'!!! that is a rare bike you got there! Is that a 2001 Stinky Primo 5" or a 2002 limited edition 6" Stinky Primo. I remember a small batch that Kona did for wheelworld in '02 some were flat black and only like 5 were gloss. A few guys at my old shop got one. The Z150 is perfect for that bad boy! Talk about freeride set up like that! Where is "your neck of the woods" by the way?
Thanks man. I think it's 02 6" deelux with a paint job. Not sure of the orig color. Could be black. The Top tube sticker says Sinky-X. Could be fake. Got frame on ebay this winter after someone put the romic on it and had it painted. Dude hooked me up for $450, frame, romic, salsa clamp, raceface post. xt front der. Fsa Pig Pro. I did the rest with other auction parts over the winter. The fork is so killer with the eta and steel steer tube. Heavy but super stiff and plush. It's an east coast ride. Perfect for the rocky, steep stuff we got in Mass. I can climb anything with it and I race DH once in a while with a rotor & tire swap. The wife says I can have only one bike only so I had to make it a "do all". Mission accomplished. I can see you don't have any limits by the steed on your post.