Quantcast

Who's going to Devilshead (midwest represent), want to build a slalom course?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
This is one of the few times we get some gravity events so I hope all the midwest monkeys are coming up (June 26th-27th at Devilshead resort).

Anyway, I guess some guys were digging this last weekend and most of the DH course is done, more DH stuff, less of the flat, dip and duck stuff like what was at the top last year. If anyone wants to help next saturday (the 19th) meet up there.

My concern is the slalom course. The plan is to work on it next weekend as well, so if you want something more then a mown grass course please meet up and help. I might be able to go up midweek and if that the case I'd love some help. Let me know if you can assist the cause!

Hope to see you all there!

Oct 27, 2003
Madcity Wisconsin
Man i really want to help, last years was so incredibly lame.

i hear the dh course is a lot nicer this season, and the upper half has changed from a xc sprint to a real nice course.

I have to check what i have going on, but i might be able to come up around the 19th for a day and help, will people have any heavy equipment or is it all by hand, and last year i recall devils head not wanting any serious stuff being built, or like they wouldnt let us use a bobcat or something.

It is only a 2 hour drive from here so if it is worth the gas money i will come up early and help out.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I'm down in Milton, so its roughly the same for me to get up. No heavy equipment, all shovel work. Honestly thou, with a few guys, toss in some berms, rollers, roller dubs, blah blah we could have something really fun in a days work. Like I said, I can't go saturday, but either sunday or sometime in the next 2 weeks I can go up and work if other care to join me. Keep the posts coming, the more help the better it can be, even if you've never dug before, tis a good time to learn :D

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Grrrr, bumped off the first page in one day! Any helpers out there, come on, 26 ppl (as of right now) have checked this out and only one is offering to help? Tsk Tsk you midwest riders, tsk tsk.

Oct 27, 2003
Madcity Wisconsin
So t1maglio, lets say i want to help out for one day, and not stay overnight, what would be the best day to go, i am pretty much totally free. aka what day will the most people be there, and who can i expect to meet. last year i recall greg _____ from pacific organizing the slamom, is he doing it this year too?

I just dont want to drive 4 hours and end up meeting like 2 people dicking around with some shovels.

also can the dh course be riding or poached if i want to bring my dh bike with?

and i am assuming with 26 views most aren't midwest monkeys. i will try to bring some riders from around here up with me. do you know if they will get a bobcat or anything?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I believe Greg is still in charge this year, but there is little dedication to the project. IMO this should have been started a while ago, but I digress. Anyway, the guys stance who is in charge stated that whatever gets done this weekend is what we will have for the race. I am willing to go up and help, and honestly, if thats me and a couple of my friends we could get a course like last years done in at least a day, if not more, and with a few more backs and shovels, who knows what we can do. We aren't talking big jumps here, but a fun roller course, I am totally ok with that. I am preoccupied saturday, but sunday would be an option, as would this thursday. Regardless I am waiting to see when it is ok for us to come up, from there I'll try to get small crew together and go from there. (I am right now looking at thursday, but I need the official ok on that. It may be a matter of the head guy getting a layout down and then us coming up afterwards [ie next week] and improving it).

Anyway, I also believe bringing your bike with and riding the DH course would be fine. I'm bringing my bike!

Oh, and one more thing. Last year we took a pretty lame course and made it not quit as lame (lol) in about an hour (and the course that was originally there supposedly took 2 days to make). I've been digging trails for the past 8 years, including the project for my cities trails so "dicking" around really wouldn't be what I would call my efforts, but again, I digress . :) In anycase, we won't have a bobcat, this will all be done by hand, but I think slalom at any capacity is fun and if we can make it better then 2 mown lanes going down a hill, well I'm all for it.

Take care and God bless
Jon

Oct 27, 2003
Madcity Wisconsin
Alright man sounds good, i was just a little worried i would end up there and know one would know what to do.

If you just tell me when u think i should be up there i will come, and probably bring 2 or 3 people with me.

I think i have gregs email so i might try to contact him.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Lol, wed I take my youth group to the dells :rolleyes: , thats why I was pushing for thursday. Whatever, let me know what goes on and if there is additional work that needs to be done I will gladly go up on one of my open days. Thanks for helping out.

take care and God bless
Jon