Quantcast

Who still makes DH frames in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
stick to lawyering. your lack of manufacturing knowledge is the same kind that caused the hindenberg.
Wait, you're saying that my staunch belief that hydrogen and explosive paint as a good building component for a zeppelin is a bad idea? You, sir, are a cock.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wait, you're saying that my staunch belief that hydrogen and explosive paint as a good building component for a zeppelin is a bad idea? You, sir, are a cock.
my point is, you know jack all about manufacturing and international commerce.

also, check out xprezo. they may be canadian, but holy hell do they make some awesome bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pretty sure i heard somewhere that a few of the guys from SAPA are starting another frame fab company right down the street, or across town or something like that.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
no... they still do in house prototypes. All bikes for sale are made in Taiwan. The last "made in USA" dh bike they made was the $3800, 25th anniversary, 60 frames only, team replica, 303WCDH.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no... they still do in house prototypes. All bikes for sale are made in Taiwan. The last "made in USA" dh bike they made was the $3800, 25th anniversary, 60 frames only, team replica, 303WCDH.
proud to say i have an early 2000's ARC hardtail that was US made.

SCARY

Not long enough
Its made here in the states.

But aren't you taking up a sport a little less concussion prone then DH?
I've Had 2 months of sitting on my ass to contemplate my existence.I just can't escape that DH is in my DNA.I'm giving up moto altogether,but I can't get away from that this is who I am.I am going to have to revamp the way I approach it and train for it.I am very happy to have had this time to objectively look at my situation and come to this conclusion.My wonderful wife of 18 years is a little reluctant,but she knows what a wreck I'll be trying to replace my true passion.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
According to PinkBikeAction, you can get a handmade in the US Foes for less than you can most of the competitors. I'm not sure how they ride, since nobody really buys them, but I thought it was real interesting that you can get a frame from an in-house operation for less than a crack-n-fail I mean evil.
IMAG0186.jpg

I love my dhs mono its a 2008 I bought it last year new for 1900 never assembeled.
It's a little heavy weighs in at 42 with steel springs fork and shock.

The hydro is lighter and the lbs dh team has 5 of them they also allow other shock choices. With mine im stuck with the curnutt which is not a bad thing because it works good.

Imo it will eat a giant glory...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im surprised yours weighs in at 42lbs. i had much heavier parts on mine and it was 41.5lbs.
the Hydro is my next bike of choice and im glad they made the minor changes that they did to it

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
im surprised yours weighs in at 42lbs. i had much heavier parts on mine and it was 41.5lbs.
the Hydro is my next bike of choice and im glad they made the minor changes that they did to it
I was supprised too. I have formula brakes, plastic pivitol seat e 13 cranks. Easton bars the front wheel is actually an xc wheel, rear is a 823 with double butter dt swiss. I don't know how I could go any lighter besides ti springs (my 40 has a steel non standard green) I could do carbon bars but i want feel they would be more rigid and may be harsh on my bad shoulder.

I don't think theres a better looking dh bike and I think its durability is something else.
What year was your 2.1? I know they made revisions and lightened subsequent years. But Brent and Chris said mine is more durable and resistant to dented top tube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was supprised too. I have formula brakes, plastic pivitol seat e 13 cranks. Easton bars the front wheel is actually an xc wheel, rear is a 823 with double butter dt swiss. I don't know how I could go any lighter besides ti springs (my 40 has a steel non standard green) I could do carbon bars but i want feel they would be more rigid and may be harsh on my bad shoulder.

I don't think theres a better looking dh bike and I think its durability is something else.
What year was your 2.1? I know they made revisions and lightened subsequent years. But Brent and Chris said mine is more durable and resistant to dented top tube.
maybe you guys had different size bikes?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

mine had diabolous cranks, doube track/hadley rear wheel and mtx33/hadley front and a original 40 then a 888 ATA then a 888 Evo Ti...heavy stuff. as with all their bikes, the weight wasnt noticeable and was very maneuverable.
it was a large '07 and didnt have the small revisions (linkage accessibility, front triangle) as the later years did. mine was dented pretty bad in some spots but everything was still to spec according to them.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you ride hard and fast and want a bike that is stable and US made, you'd love that Foes 2:1 Mono. About as close to a moto as you can get with a DH bike and not have something retarded (BMW for one). Not the most racey bike out there but still plenty quick.

With a little work to the shock, that bike can be really damn good (shortening spacer, replaced O-ring in the sealhead and piston glidering to get rid of the drag that you feel at turnaround). In stock form the action of the shock feels like a turd.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I know personally when I spend 3600 on a bike, I really love the idea of being stuck with a proprietary shock that requires a bunch of extra tuning and modifications to make it work on par with the more mundane, common shocks on the market. Its really a huge selling point for me. The only thing that'd be better is if it didn't come welded, and I had to do that myself. Sort of like Karpiel tried, I guess.

Just really makes you feel more involved with the bike, ya know?

:D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know personally when I spend 3600 on a bike, I really love the idea of being stuck with a proprietary shock that requires a bunch of extra tuning and modifications to make it work on par with the more mundane, common shocks on the market. Its really a huge selling point for me. The only thing that'd be better is if it didn't come welded, and I had to do that myself. Sort of like Karpiel tried, I guess.

Just really makes you feel more involved with the bike, ya know?

:D
quiet, or evil will start marketing their bikes like that and people will still buy them.

PS the new foes comes with a normal shock unless you opt for the curnuttsack.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
who said you have to modify anything or "tune it?" if youre buying the DHS then you are buying into their shock as well.
those who have never ridden it always seem to speak so highly of it :rolleyes:

troll fed

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Really liking that new Foes
Every bike foes currently builds is beast. I'd like to have one of each especially the shaver so I could occasionally ride up some trails.

Here's my experience with foes.
I built up the bike and was able to bottom it out easily in the neghiborhood. I called in talked to a kid about my 150 spring oh yea yea its fine. I took it down there and Brent foes rode my bike around bounced on it took it in the shop and swapped springs for me himself at no charge. Thanks Brent!
After 6 Months of riding I noticed an oil residue near my rebound adjuster....
Was going to service it myself time to change the oil after break in anyways I called to see if I needed special tools or anything to watch out for. I do moto forks and shocks and I do fox 40s I usually make all the tools I need got a mill and lathe.
Chris @ foes says just bring it down we will take care of that few of charge. Well okay......
They had it 1 day free shock rebuild. They had problems on my year shock the oil they used for a while attacked the orings.
I feel like they take care of me and I feel its best to support a local bike mfg.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I really wish the Function Bikes frame would have made it to production, Purgatory Bikes are still made in the US in a guys(Mark Zmurko) basement, he does everything in house except welding(from memory) but he only does a few frames a year.

On my current DH bike only the fork, seat and bar are made in Taiwan, I have nothing against the Taiwanese but I like to spend money with companies that put effort in to keeping manufacture in the home country. When I can afford a Bos fork and someone does a non Taiwanese bar in a sweep I like I'll be Taiwan free(excluding bearings and shifter cable).
right, because bos stuff is produced in yrp. think again.

Status
Not open for further replies.