Quantcast

Who still makes DH frames in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What companies still make a frame in the United States for DH? Nothing Canadian, nothing Mexican, something produced domestically. Really, really over this bull**** of Taiwan right now.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Ventana does everything in house, from machining to painting.

And their bikes are inexpensive

and they ride well.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Ventana does everything in house, from machining to painting.

And their bikes are inexpensive

and they ride well.
Ventana no longer makes a DH frame though. Intense, Zerode (oddly enough), and Foes are the only bikes that come to mind immediately.

I will say though, that your disgust/anger/whatever you want to call it with Taiwan is misguided. The US companies are responsible for the logistics involved for sourcing Taiwanese products and I guarantee you they know well in advance if something is off track with the supply chain and most choose to keep quiet. The only real excuse is dealing with a new vendor/supplier or if it is a new model - like your case.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Going to have to start looking into that. The delays I am getting told of because someone in Taiwan f-ed things up on that end are just unacceptable.

Globalization might have been a good idea on paper, but when your supply line is coming from another hemisphere, its impossible to really control the quality. You're taking the word of someone you may never meet, and while I understand its not the 1950's anymore, there's something to be said for being able to go down and deal with problems right then and there, versus waiting until you've already blown a shipping date and are leaving people high and dry.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you want on time just don't buy a frame that is not released yet and wait for the first batch. There will always be delays with those, no matter the country of origin. Though if you want on time just get something german. Unless you get crazy on the custom parts you should be able to get a nicolai right when they tell you.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I will say though, that your disgust/anger/whatever you want to call it with Taiwan is misguided. The US companies are responsible for the logistics involved for sourcing Taiwanese products and I guarantee you they know well in advance if something is off track with the supply chain and most choose to keep quiet. The only real excuse is dealing with a new vendor/supplier or if it is a new model - like your case.
maybe he just want to support an American company with American workers.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm just gonna stop this rant now. I'm getting pissed over something I can't control. I know somewhere in the last three years I said that Serenity Prayer a lot over 9 months. I need to go back to that now. I can't change this, I can't control this, I can't intimidate this. I am just pissed off, out money, and back to square one. And I don't like Taiwan anymore.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Going to have to start looking into that. The delays I am getting told of because someone in Taiwan f-ed things up on that end are just unacceptable.

Globalization might have been a good idea on paper, but when your supply line is coming from another hemisphere, its impossible to really control the quality. You're taking the word of someone you may never meet, and while I understand its not the 1950's anymore, there's something to be said for being able to go down and deal with problems right then and there, versus waiting until you've already blown a shipping date and are leaving people high and dry.
If you think companies that produce frames through Taiwan vendors have little say in the quality control department you are sorely mistaken. If you are having a company produce your bike and you have never met them, you are destined to fail.

Blaming Taiwan for production problems is usually a cop out. If you have your *hit together from the start you should be more than capable of dealing w/ any issues that arise during production. Every manufacturing company in the world has production problems. Playing the blame game just makes you look foolish.

The thing most people forget is that these vendors make bikes for many different companies and are on their own tight production schedule. If a frame from company "A" has issues, the vendor does not have the time to stop production and fix design flaws but has to move on to producing frames for company "B". This can easily put company "A" 6 months behind schedule or force them to find another vendor. Sound familiar?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm just gonna stop this rant now. I'm getting pissed over something I can't control. I know somewhere in the last three years I said that Serenity Prayer a lot over 9 months. I need to go back to that now. I can't change this, I can't control this, I can't intimidate this. I am just pissed off, out money, and back to square one. And I don't like Taiwan anymore.
It has nothing to do with taiwan but with bad management. Stuff like that happened to companies producing in yurp too.Though I'm not going to call names.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's happening with Zerodes current batch from USA right now, many people patiently waiting.
Bikes are a small production with many variables, **** happens. Good things take time, manufacturers get forced into providing just physically possible production dates. Just hope there's someone their to crack a whip and break some balls and I'm sure everything possible is getting done.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I buy local as much as possible. Its bad practice to send all your money to the other side of the world and use tons of resources shipping the crap they make here. Its a bike. Why does it need to be made on the other side of the world? People will instantly say "to reduce costs". Well, I've seen many companies shift their production overseas and only have seen their prices go up. They were just as competitive when they made their frames locally.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I buy local as much as possible. Its bad practice to send all your money to the other side of the world and use tons of resources shipping the crap they make here. Its a bike. Why does it need to be made on the other side of the world? People will instantly say "to reduce costs". Well, I've seen many companies shift their production overseas and only have seen their prices go up. They were just as competitive when they made their frames locally.
Likewise, and yes, most companies do it for their own profit. However, well made products in Asia are still expensive to produce. Depends what quality the brand requests and pays for and monitors.
Carbon footprint also depends on quantities and manufacturers. China and USA both have the crappest environmental protection of anywhere.

And Zerode's shopping around (Asia, I assume) for a new manufacturer.
Pretty sure they're looking for whomever can produce the same or better standard then they've been so far. Seeing as they're NZ based, Asia is closer than USA.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think when you're paying north of $3k for a frame it needs to be made domestically. Take the excuses out of the equation, get back to making great bikes.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I think when you're paying north of $3k for a frame it needs to be made domestically. Take the excuses out of the equation, get back to making great bikes.
That's very debatable. Taiwan surely has the best mass produced bicycle manufacturing in the world at present. I'm personally very reluctant to send money to China. and would be very interested to know where the lowest environmental impact frames are made.
Hand made frames made by passionate owner builders, sure by home grown, but when you get a production line going it all changes IMO.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Buy a foes hydro or dhs mono if your a big boy and be done with it. That's what I did I got my mono for around half price. And foes is down the street they are great to deal with....

Isn't santacruz USA made?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
People haven't been saying to reduce cost for the last few years. Most companies go to Taiwan not because it's cheaper but because it's easier. You get all the technology in one place and it is easier to manage and easier to get.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
People haven't been saying to reduce cost for the last few years. Most companies go to Taiwan not because it's cheaper but because it's easier. You get all the technology in one place and it is easier to manage and easier to get.
If you want a bike right away, give all the big mailorder guys (go-ride, Jenson etc.) a call and see what they have in stock. Pick from these choices the frame that you like best. Wait for brown Santa (2-3 days), grab some of your preferred beverage and lock yourself into your workshop for a couple of hours, ride!!!!!!!!!!
From order to first ride should be a week max. ;)

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Some time ago the designer from Mountain Cycle was saying something like this on his blog. He also mentioned what would happen if all the US big names come back to a purely US-based production. The suppliers/machiners/welders simply wouldn't be able to keep up the pace, and the delays would be longer. The US industry simply can't cope with the production figures Taiwan and China do. Not to mention in some China cities (such as Guangzhou) you have the source material (aluminium, carbon fiber, steel, etc) factories, the metal milling/machining facilities and the final frame and component production, all in one place.

Pair those facts to insignificant salaries and you'll find the reasons why American manufacturers have almost completely migrated to Taiwan and China.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I really wish the Function Bikes frame would have made it to production, Purgatory Bikes are still made in the US in a guys(Mark Zmurko) basement, he does everything in house except welding(from memory) but he only does a few frames a year.

On my current DH bike only the fork, seat and bar are made in Taiwan, I have nothing against the Taiwanese but I like to spend money with companies that put effort in to keeping manufacture in the home country. When I can afford a Bos fork and someone does a non Taiwanese bar in a sweep I like I'll be Taiwan free(excluding bearings and shifter cable).

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I really wish the Function Bikes frame would have made it to production, Purgatory Bikes are still made in the US in a guys(Mark Zmurko) basement, he does everything in house except welding(from memory) but he only does a few frames a year.

On my current DH bike only the fork, seat and bar are made in Taiwan, I have nothing against the Taiwanese but I like to spend money with companies that put effort in to keeping manufacture in the home country. When I can afford a Bos fork and someone does a non Taiwanese bar in a sweep I like I'll be Taiwan free(excluding bearings and shifter cable).
I spoke to Mark, he said that he is not going to be making frames anymore. Too bad, because he makes some great stuff.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I could be wrong,but I don't think the 9.9 is made here.That'd probably be enough for me to be irresponsible and buy one.
Its made here in the states.

But aren't you taking up a sport a little less concussion prone then DH?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Alchemy out of TEXAS makes killer all USA frames. Carbon, Steel, Ti all varities. But all Road :(...

http://www.alchemybicycles.com/our-bikes/carbon-aero-road

Now you know where Specialized got their idea for their new Road bike. The best part their frames are cheaper than Cervelo, and S-Works. The cost of Carbon clean up is high in USA. There is a reason the high end Cervelo that is made in California costs $10K while the China version is $5K they are almost identical we are talkin within 150GMS for $5K right....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
According to PinkBikeAction, you can get a handmade in the US Foes for less than you can most of the competitors. I'm not sure how they ride, since nobody really buys them, but I thought it was real interesting that you can get a frame from an in-house operation for less than a crack-n-fail I mean evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.