Quantcast

Whiteface Mountain Bike Park Calendar of Events

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
June 14 thru June 17: Wilmington/Whiteface Bike Fest.
This event will host the Whiteface 100 (1st qualifier for the Leadville 100), the Whiteface Uphill Road Race and the Kyle Ebbett and Friends Jump Jam as well as the 2 gravity races listed below.
Saturday June 16: Whiteface Bike Fest Dual Slalom
Sunday June 17th: USA Cycling Pro GRT race 5K DH ($2,500.00 cash purse)

July 7: Ladies Day # 1 (free lift for the ladies with coupon).

August 4: Ladies Day # 2 (free lift for the ladies with coupon).

September 1: Ladies Day # 3 (free lift for the ladies with coupon).

September 8/9, 2012: US/Canadian Open at Whiteface $10,000.00 cash purse.
$5,000.00 cash for the pros and $5,000.00 cash for the amateurs.
From the 5 grand for the amateurs, we will offer $250.00 each for the fastest amateur man and woman.

October 13: Ladies Day # 4 (free lift for the ladies with coupon).

It's going to to be a great year for biking on the east coast!
Watch for clinics to be added to our calendar of events.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Thinking about making the US/Canadian Open dh race course on the Slickrock Trail to the Judge! We would lose the top 1,000 feet of elevation, but use a trail we have always wanted to race on, and still be a 5 minute dh course. It's too early for a final decision, but we are considering it.

The Pro GRT will definitely be a full 5K DH course!

We have been told that Whiteface is too gnarly and too big to race on. I thought those were good things? Better bring you big bike!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
With the free kids dual slalom race starting immediately after the Awards Ceremony for the Uphill Road Bike Race, there is a very good chance for a couple of hundred or more spectators! The uphill road race always has at least 350 registrants. Can you imagine a few hundred people lining the course and cheering on the little ones!
Preliminary Bike Fest Weekend Schedule:
http://www.bikewilmingtonny.com/index.php/wilmington-whiteface-bike-fest

I will try my best to always put at least one picture or video up when answering questions. Right now, we are working on moving Sunday's 5K DH start back an hour or 2. We must wait till the Whiteface 100 finishes.

(Q)When is a 5K race harder than a 100K race.
(A)When it's the 5K DH!

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Do you need any help with the slalom stuff?
I finally have a car that gets mileage in the double digits so heading out there isn't a $300 gas nightmare any more!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Mickey,
Yes that would be awesome! Elias and crew will be building the course and would love the skilled help! Since this Opening/Bike Fest Weekend will be so huge, and the race course being right out front, we really want to make this dual slalom course as nice as we can.

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey I'm down to come and race slalom. I just don't want to make the trip to Whiteface and the course isn't built, like in 2010!!!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Hey I'm down to come and race slalom. I just don't want to make the trip to Whiteface and the course isn't built, like in 2010!!!
Not to worry as we are planning on building the ds course this year. We have 2 scheduled ds races fr 2012.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
No please!! Really want to race full course at Can/Am weekend! Can't make first race - and have for years been wanting to race the full 5K course.

Oh well - I know you will do what you feel best for the competition! Will be there regardless.

Can't wait for this year!! Another few months - tick tock tick tock.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Race Dates:
6-16/17, 2012 for the Pro GRT 5K DH.
9-8/9, 2012 for the US/Canadian Open at Whiteface.
For both races the ds race will be held on Saturday and the main downhill race on Sunday.

Online registration is now open for the 5K DH.
Press release soon on when the registration will open for the US/Canadian Open at Whiteface.
Note. With the $10,000.00 cash purse and no other conflicting races there will be a field limit for the US/Can Open.

Photo taken at the Wilmington Dirt Jump/Skills Park. Rider: Peter Mills.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
If we do decide to have a shorter course, no one will be upset. Promise. The Slickrock trail is just waiting to be raced on.

I am a little confused as many (I was told 2nd hand) thought our course was too long and too hard. I think Whiteface is gnarly and the race courses should be gnarly too!

The Lake Placid/Whiteface region has always been a great region to train for your sports. Being downhil mt bike racing, ice climbing, luge or skiing. It just makes you better and stronger!

Ha. My eyes are totally focused on the go-around!

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Race Dates:
6-16/17, 2012 for the Pro GRT 5K DH.
9-8/9, 2012 for the US/Canadian Open at Whiteface.
For both races the ds race will be held on Saturday and the main downhill race on Sunday.
Great thanks!

Any super d or enduro type event planned? Seems like you guys have the right mountain for that type of racing!!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Great thanks!

Any super d or enduro type event planned? Seems like you guys have the right mountain for that type of racing!!
Maybe next year? We have some great terrain and some killer ideas. Kind of want to do something unique, that could only be done here.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Maybe next year? We have some great terrain and some killer ideas. Kind of want to do something unique, that could only be done here.
That's what you said last year ;)

North America as a whole really doesn't seem ready for this kind of racing. Yeah, I know about Oregon, and the 1-2 other places stuff is going down. It seems easy to get 1,000+ people to show up for a 100 mile grindfest on the most braindead-boring gravel roads, but make it fun, technical and challenging... and hmm...

Not cutting on you mike - i know it's a challenge to run these events, and you hold all the risk. But these types of events are the future imo... people will eventually get on board.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I agree with you that the Enduro and SD races will grow in the future. So many more riders have the right kind of bikes already.

Not sure if you are referring to the Whiteface 100 that is part of the Bike Fest Weekend? I don't have anything to do with that race. That race is being run by Lifetime Fitness. I think it's $85.00 to $105.00 to register and has a field limit of 1,000 (USA Cycling Level B).

The Bike Fest was our idea 3 years ago. On it's 2nd year Lifetime Fitness asked ORDA if they can host one of their Leadville Qualifiers at Whiteface. ORDA wisely said yes. So between the Whiteface 100 and the Whiteface Uphill Road Race that always attracts 350 Roadies, this is just a great opportunity for us (the Whiteface Mt.Bike Park) to host some very unique Enduro or super tech Super D races in the very near future.

We were way stoked on securing a Pro GRT at this event as a chance to show the masses how cool DH is. And the excitement that a Dual Slalom race and a Dirt Jump/Trials Jam can provide. Hope I didn't go too off topic, but this already big Bike Fest Weekend has the chance to really become a premier east coast event. It has already attracted the ones that can make the really big events happen.

Viva La Gravity Racing!

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
That's what you said last year ;)

North America as a whole really doesn't seem ready for this kind of racing. Yeah, I know about Oregon, and the 1-2 other places stuff is going down. It seems easy to get 1,000+ people to show up for a 100 mile grindfest on the most braindead-boring gravel roads, but make it fun, technical and challenging... and hmm...

Not cutting on you mike - i know it's a challenge to run these events, and you hold all the risk. But these types of events are the future imo... people will eventually get on board.
That's why we should ride plenty this summer and enter the OverMountain Enduro @ Highland in October!!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
A 24 hour dh race at Whiteface would be awesome. Averaging 2 runs an hour may or may not be possible? If a team could do 40 runs that would be approx. 100,000 vertical feet of crazy fun!
We may call that one the Whiteface 24 Hour 100K Challenge?
Solo on the same bike would be cool!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not sure if you are referring to the Whiteface 100 that is part of the Bike Fest Weekend? I don't have anything to do with that race. That race is being run by Lifetime Fitness. I think it's $85.00 to $105.00 to register and has a field limit of 1,000 (USA Cycling Level B).
Nope, not referring to that, but it seems to fit the bill too - crazy! Looking up and down the east coast there seems to be a LOT of long distance grind fests - most of which don't look like very much fun - i.e. mostly gravel road.

This one does look like it could be fun w/ the proper conditioning however... 63 miles, 11K climbing, mostly singletrack - and it's already sold out:
http://www.blueridgeadventures.net/oramm/

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Nope, not referring to that, but it seems to fit the bill too - crazy! Looking up and down the east coast there seems to be a LOT of long distance grind fests - most of which don't look like very much fun - i.e. mostly gravel road.

This one does look like it could be fun w/ the proper conditioning however... 63 miles, 11K climbing, mostly singletrack - and it's already sold out:
http://www.blueridgeadventures.net/oramm/
Actually it's mostly gravel roads. Last year, 2 pros riding for Cannondale won on their Cyclo-Cross Bikes. The whole region has so much new single-track too. They ride right by it!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
A 24 hour dh race at Whiteface would be awesome. Averaging 2 runs an hour may or may not be possible? If a team could do 40 runs that would be approx. 100,000 vertical feet of crazy fun!
I think that would be sooo much fun. Think about all of the additional challenges to both rider and equipment. I remember when the guys on (british) Top Gear raced a 24 hour race they specifically chose a diesel BMW so they would have to pit less for fill ups. They said the car wasn't as fast per lap but would overall be faster because of less fill ups. It would be intersting to see the difference in part selections and setups for a 24 hour DH race. Wheel, tire, brake and suspension choices would all play a huge role. If you rode with super tacky tires they would probably wear too much to use for the entire period and you'd either have to run them really worn down for the last few runs or run higher compound but lose stability and control Or possibly swap out tires while a teammate is racing. Brake pads would probably need to be swapped between runs....

Sorry not trying to D-rail the thread.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
If you do go through with a 24hour DH race, I'll be travelling with friends from Canadia to participate. Always wanted to see if I could ride for 12+ hours.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Mike, what are the dates and hours for the mountain? Couldn't see them on the website and I was looking to plan a trip later in the year so knowing the dates for if you're open 7 days a week or just weekends becomes useful.
Thanks

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Our website has just been updated. Thank you for pointing that out.
Here are the days we will be open for a quick glance.
We open on Friday June 15th an will be open on Friday, Saturday & Sundays only for our 1st two weekends.
Starting on June 29, we will be open 7 days a week all the way until Labor Day.
After Labor Day, we will be open on Fridays thru Sundays until Columbus Day.
Hours of operation are from 9:00 am till 3:30 pm.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks Mike, glad to have helped point out the omission on the website.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Hmmm. Thinking about a new 5K DH course for this years Pro GRT at Whiteface? As the last of the snow is melting off of the summit, our trail crew will make it to the upper trails next week. We will have 6 to 7 weeks to figure out the best course for our 7th annual 5K DH!
Should we keep it gnarly or would you rather have a buffed out race course?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
IMO if you make a buffed out course then you will have a trail from the top that the less experienced guest can ride rather than only shuttling the lower half.
I guess I should say buffed out without the use of heavy machinery. Hand buffed!
The work our trail crew did last year was amazing. The trails flowed better than ever. So, at least we will do what we did last year, but multiply that times 3 or 4! Let's just hope it stays dry and no rain the day before the 5K DH. Last years rain made the course super challenging!
A fully buffed out trail from the summit would cost us approximately $50,000.00 per mile. With a 3 to 4 mile race course, we may need a few more seasons for a project of that size.