Quantcast

Whistler and insurance

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I'm heading to Whistler from the 2nd to the 9th of July and I am wondering where can I buy some holiday/temporary medical insurance?

And btw, is anyone here heading to Whistler on those dates? A meetup would be awesome.

Thanks

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I managed to tear a hamstring one summer up in whistler and I could not possibly recommend it more. Every single person working in the med facility from adminstrative to doctor was a friendly, attractive female. I try to hurt myself often up there every chance I get. So yeah, definitely a good call on the insurance. It's worth it.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I see almost all insurance companies just cover ground ambulance.

What happens if you get heli-vac'd? I called Whistler Bike Park and they told me the park pays for the heli-vac...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Whistler park pays for heli-vac? holy sh!t that is in the realm of unheard-of awesomeness!

+rep Whistler Bike Park

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Whistler park pays for heli-vac? holy sh!t that is in the realm of unheard-of awesomeness!

+rep Whistler Bike Park
Yeah I thought it was cool too. But I think this is something "relatively" new as I read a thread on NSMB about a guy that crashed in Freight Train like 4 years ago, got Heli-vac'd and charged for $1800.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah I thought it was cool too. But I think this is something "relatively" new as I read a thread on NSMB about a guy that crashed in Freight Train like 4 years ago, got Heli-vac'd and charged for $1800.
To be honest if I'm getting helli'd out then my last worry is what I'm paying
although nothing sucks worse then huge bills on top of major injuries

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
get insurance. just shy of $1million on my recovery, 1/3 of which was in Canada while still on "vacation" before i got shipped back home. check coverage for flying you home if you need it.

i find it hard to believe whistler covers the heli-vac. been pretty f'd up on that hill and still got the meat bus to the local hospital, though not sure what they would do if you need a lift to Van Gen.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Also check your credit card. Oddly enough travel insurance is a feature of one of State Farm's cards, so I know it is on several others, I think specifically AMEX.

...I reference it b/c it works as a great supplement to your own policy and costs you nothing.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
$1 million!!! Holy s$&t. What did you do to yourself??
Broke my neck on my Silver Star trip last August. I'll be the first to say how good Canadian docs and nurses are, seeing as how I have made a significant recovery. Most of the work was done in Van, but the Whistler hospital has been good to me when I've wrecked hard before.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
so far so good. i have posted updates in the lounge from time to time. i was paralyzed for a while, but i'm walking again. just a bit more work needed on the left side, and it left me with a bladder the size of a fly, but all is manageable. the weirdest part is not feeling temperature.

a month before my accident i had a friend who busted her lower leg on a jet ski accident while on vacation, and needed $50,000 worth of surgery for pins and rods. definitely get the travel insurance if you are doing anything risky, particularly if you don't have other insurance.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm already in BC, so not exactly sure which insurance to go for, but definitely go for it. Last week a friend broke his arm and SHATTERED his helmet (TLD D3, I think - never seen anybody blow up a helmet like that!) on A-Line. Got a ride in the ambulance back to Lion's Gate hospital in Vancouver for surgery. Can't imagine what that bill would look like without insurance.

Also, get a Leatt, A-Stars or Omega neck brace. Pretty sure it saved my friend's neck - quite literally.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Pretty sure CAA and AAA offer insurance as well. I always used them when traveling to the States or to Europe

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
I just went through this earlier this week. Took myself out on the first day of the trip naturally. I bought insurance for $22 thru expedia when I purchased my plane tickets. The insurance covers up to 50k in medical expenses, and some other stuff. The way they put it to me is I have to submit my medical receipts to my health insurance company and then the travel insurance will pay whatever the health insurance company won't pay. I think no matter what travel insurance you get, you will still have to end up paying for health care coverage in Canada up front if you are not a citizen.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Seriously, for how cheap the supplementary insurance costs, you'd be stupid not to do it. I have friends w/o regular med insurance in the States who I've convinced to buy it for the Whistler trip.

Everyone I know who spends a week in Whistler rides better, faster, gnarlier and MANY MORE RUNS than they would in a week's time back home. That means epic shredding highs as well as epic crashes. Even in mountain bike heaven dudes get choppered out.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
This brings up a question I have...

I have health insurance through work, so would that cover me if I went to Whistler? Its not happening anytime soon, but I'd like to know. Or do you have to purchase a supplemental policy for traveling like that?

Thanks!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This brings up a question I have...

I have health insurance through work, so would that cover me if I went to Whistler? Its not happening anytime soon, but I'd like to know. Or do you have to purchase a supplemental policy for traveling like that?

Thanks!
I broke my wrist in whistler a few years ago. My US insurance covered the emergency care I needed before I was fit to travel. I had to come home for surgery, etc., but I wanted a local surgeon anyway, so it worked out. My understanding is that this is the general framework for most US policies but you should check with your insurance provider. If there is any doubt, get the extra coverage.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ yes, overseas coverage is a simple question for your insurance provider. Some plans will reimburse your after the fact rather than cover you up front, which can be hard on the checking account.

It doesn't hurt to ask about the specific country, and specific coverages (ie backcountry helivac) that could come into play.