Quantcast

Which Super T would you rather have?

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
If given a 2002 and a 2003 Super T both in new condition, which would you rather run and why? Consider wanting less weight and high performance. Is there a difference? I'm just curious if there is any advantage to the newer one, which is heavier, or is it just more desireable due to it being "new"?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2002: 30mm stanchions iirc, more tire clearance. (vs. 32mm on the 2003-on-up)

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
2003. I had a 2002 JrT before the 2003 SuperT I have now. Tire clearance is not an issue unless you put a motorcycle tire in it. And I saw someone at Snowshow with a motorcycle tire on their bike. Flex and better damping are more important. Integrated stem is great. It's a stiffer package.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
2003. Better fork all around. Lighter, stiffer, better internals, etc. Only downside is the tire clearance - but I can fit a 2.65 IRC Kujo just fine.

-B

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BRacing said:
2003. Better fork all around. Lighter, stiffer, better internals, etc. Only downside is the tire clearance - but I can fit a 2.65 IRC Kujo just fine.

-B
How is 7.6lbs(the 03) lighter than 6.6lbs(the 02)?

Better internals? lol, they are EXACLY the same....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kidwoo said:
And the fact that you can't take the lower crown off. This is the only reason I didn't buy one last year. Cryofit crap on a double crown fork was a serious brain fart.
why do you want to do that?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
the 2003 enyday eccept the tire clearence is nto the greatest for east coast the big fat michelin 2.8's dont fit( i think).

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Toshi

to adjust the ride height by a couple mm's can make a difference.And you can't do that with the 2003.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kidwoo said:
1)major point: You can't adjust ride height

2)minor point: Easier to work on and replace individual damaged parts.
but there was only a (very) limited range of adjustability before. surely preload affects sag more on 170mm forks. #2 has more merit, but there's the flip side that the cryofit is arguably stronger...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd say they're about equal. The '03 has the added stiffness at the cost of weight. They have the same damping, the '02 has adjustable crowns which really don't serve much for lowering the front but if you want to rake it out a bit there's some adjustability. I can raise my '02 almost an inch if I wanted to. If you ride in tacky mud the extra clearance on an '02 will be nice even if you don't run motorcycle tires. I've heared about arches breaking on both '02s and '03s so there's not much differance there. If you're into stiffness and nothing else get the '03, if you want some of the nit picky things like adjustable crowns and tire clearance get the '02, of course if weight is really an issue I strongly reccomend the '02. I can't imagine pedalling up hill with a 7" fork, riser bars and a short stem with anything heavier.

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Kornphlake said:
I'd say they're about equal. The '03 has the added stiffness at the cost of weight.QUOTE]

yea, i ride the 03 model the stifness of the fork is reallly a plus. i have hit trees at almost full speed for a few occassions. :)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive had both the 02 and 03 on my Big Hit and I liked the weight and performance of the 02 a lot better. I have no idea why but the 02 just felt more plush. Both were stock.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Toshi said:
but there was only a (very) limited range of adjustability before. surely preload affects sag more on 170mm forks. #2 has more merit, but there's the flip side that the cryofit is arguably stronger...
But with that not so truly limited range of adjustability I've had an 02 on my dh bike slack as hell and now on a second freeride bike with exactly 170mm from tire to crown. I've had easily an inch on three different bikes to play with.

Look at it this way. Did they repeat the system? Does any other fork manufacturer do a fixed lower crown? If you can tell the difference in stiffness between a cryogenically shrunken lower crown/stantion interface and one bolted then you possess something really special..........and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kidwoo said:
But with that not so truly limited range of adjustability I've had an 02 on my dh bike slack as hell and now on a second freeride bike with exactly 170mm from tire to crown. I've had easily an inch on three different bikes to play with.

Look at it this way. Did they repeat the system? Does any other fork manufacturer do a fixed lower crown? If you can tell the difference in stiffness between a cryogenically shrunken lower crown/stantion interface and one bolted then you possess something really special..........and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
ok, fine, keep your old fork then :D . personally, i like my monster T just fine, and will be staying away from noodly super Ts in any case, no matter what their true degree of noodliness ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Toshi said:
ok, fine, keep your old fork then :D . personally, i like my monster T just fine, and will be staying away from noodly super Ts in any case, no matter what their true degree of noodliness ;)

I accept and keep the noodle because it helps me build a 37lb bike I can ride anywhere. We all know nothing nothing and nothing will ever match the stiffness of a monster t. But I'll be damned if I'm going to stick something like that on a bike I want to be climbed or accelereted fast out of slow dh sections. The question was which would you prefer. Outside of the perameters I'd rather have an 04 over either. It's got the beef of the 03 and the adjustability of an 02. There's a logical evolution going on there. In my mind the 03 junior and super t design was a mistake because it brought in limitations that neither of the straddling years had. 02 forks were good because they were light, 04 forks are good because they are better performers and are easy to set up for different bikes and riders. 03s were a non adjustable boxxer for the most part, well exept for the working damper part and all. I just think the fixed crown was dumb. You don't own one either right?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kidwoo said:
I accept and keep the noodle because it helps me build a 37lb bike I can ride anywhere. We all know nothing nothing and nothing will ever match the stiffness of a monster t. But I'll be damned if I'm going to stick something like that on a bike I want to be climbed or accelereted fast out of slow dh sections. The question was which would you prefer. Outside of the perameters I'd rather have an 04 over either. It's got the beef of the 03 and the adjustability of an 02. There's a logical evolution going on there. In my mind the 03 junior and super t design was a mistake because it brought in limitations that neither of the straddling years had. 02 forks were good because they were light, 04 forks are good because they are better performers and are easy to set up for different bikes and riders. 03s were a non adjustable boxxer for the most part, well exept for the working damper part and all. I just think the fixed crown was dumb. You don't own one either right?
no, i just enjoy arguing. :D the only super t i have had was a '01.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Well I decided to take a 2003. Strangely enough the integrated stem was actually the higher selling point for me. I run a Maxxis High Roller 2.7 and I know it fits so that wasn't an issue and the stiffness is a plus. Not to mention I don't think I would adjust the lower crown even if I had the option. I wish it didn't weigh more but I can handle 1lb. Thanks for the discussion guys. This became a cool thread.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My 2.7 Minion rubbed on my 03 under any flex or muddy trails. It sucked. Rocks even stuck in the tire would rub. I had to run a 2.5. Good luck. I would have gone with a 02, 888, or Fox DH. :)