Quantcast

which radius for jump AND landing?

Jul 29, 2009
Hi

I have seen several park videos where the jump and the landing seem to have the same radius - and works identically in both directions

Is there a radius that works like that?
Will it work for trails?

Thanks
Rasmus

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hi

I have seen several park videos where the jump and the landing seem to have the same radius - and works identically in both directions

Is there a radius that works like that?
Will it work for trails?

Thanks
Rasmus
Yes, there are some bikeparks that do that. They are probably using an 8' or 9' radius. The cool part about a "mirror-image" box jump is that you hit it going both directions.... The lame part is that you have less space to land on, and it's really common to either hang up or over-clear the landing. It's more like jumping a spine.

I think that's why in trails, you typically see landings taller than launches. You can still get a reasonably steep landing angle while at the same time having more horizontal room to land on. Then, even when you have a taller landing... you can go with the flat-bank-to-transition style, or just have a larger circular radius.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
Yeah, if the launch and landing are the same radius there is no room for error. The slightest overshoot will be jarring and kill your momentum, the slightest undershoot will cause you to case. It would just be too frustrating to ride.