Quantcast

Which coil-shock performs best in the current Demo?

mantra

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Stuttgart Germany
I ride a 2012 Demo with a Fox VAN RC which I don´t really like and want to improve the rear performance.

In your opinion....Which shock is the best for this frame and why?

Currently I´m looking at the Vivid R2C and the Vector HLR. How is this DB thing working on that frame? I heard not so good things about the lack of progression?!

I want to be able to run a fair amount of low speed compression whitout getting kicked of the pedals as soon as it gets rought. This seems to be impossible with the Van RC?!

Does anybody use a Pushed Van RC on the Demo?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What's your weight and current shock setup? What weight spring are you riding? Personally, I think that the current Van RC works pretty darn well on the Demo in stock guise so I'm surprised to hear that it performs so poorly for you that you are getting 'kicked'.

My experience and really only issue with the shock seem to be exactly the opposite. What I felt was the real limitation with the RC was performance on small to medium high speed chatter where the rebound performance reduced rear tire and braking traction. The Boxxer RC was my biggest gripe in terms of performance which was woefully outclassed by rear suspension performance of the Van RC in every aspect. If it means anything, I ended up opting to have the Avalanche Advantage treatment done to my RC after ordering the Boxxer cartridge. I only have one riding day on the rear shock but overall my issues with the shock rebound have definitely been addressed.

mantra

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
Stuttgart Germany
My weight is about 72kg (158lbs) without gear.

I`ve tested a 350# and a 400# spring. Testing was done in 2 small parks which both are a bit pedal heavy. With the 350# the rear suspension works fine but the bike feels slow and and has less pop. With the 400# spring the bike keeps it´s speed better and feels more lively but I´ve the feeling that the traction isn´t as good?!
Also I´ve to mention that I get only 18 to 20% sag with the 400# which seems to be not enought?!

In both cases, I´ve tried to run the shock with a fair amount of lsc because of the peadling...

If I do so, the rear I´m feel getting kicked of the pedals. So my first impression is, that the LSC has way to much effect in the HSC range?!

I´ve never ridden the bike with the Boxxer RC. First thing I did, was to change the internals to R2C2 and I also have a Ava cart which I couldn´t use till now because of a verry bad Boxxer casting which produces heavy lean on the cartidge.

Anyway....some more shock impressions???

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
If a Van RC feels anything like an old DHX then switching to something with actual compression adjustments will make a world of difference. I did a DHX and RC4 tes for a few months, back to back, on the same bike and the difference was quite relevant. More traction and better pedaling while maintaining pop (actually it was much better pop, more predictable) and it stayed up in its travel much better. Did not need to use a harder spring either. This is just the RC4 though. That would work well, but so would anything with true HSC and LSC likely (CCDB, Elka, PUSH). If I were you I'd probably just PUSH your shock and give it everything they've got. Likely cheaper than buying a new high end shock.

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I am 140 geared up and run a CCDB with a 300lb ti spring. I am running about 30% sag. The settings that cane creek recommend are spot on. I have tried a rc4, vivid, vivid air and the CCBD. CCDB performs the best in all areas. High speed braking bumps, square edge hits, small bump sensitivity etc.