Quantcast

which bike computer?

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Can anyone suggest a good bike computer.

I am after timing my runs and prefably average and top speed. Do i need cordless or cord. Will it fit my Shivers, if it does are they still accurate

I wonder if i just need a stopwatch on there because I have read various reports that the sensors on cordless etc are inaccurate

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
i would prolly go with a cordless, since its alot safer, wont snag the cord, and the shiver is quite tall compared to xc forks where computers are mostly used. i would think you can attach the reader thingy on the fork guards with some custom work. but also ive heard about a computer you were supposed to mount on the rear wheel, ive forgotten which tho..

good idea tho, think i might put a computer on my dh bike too :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You're going to have problems running a computer on an inverted fork. As the fork moves through its travel, the positions of the sensor on the upper and the magnet on the wheel won't jive, unlike a standard fork, where you can place the sensor on the slider casting and have it stay in position relative to the wheel.

Perhaps you can do it on the rear wheel/chainstay? Just a thought. But that will probably have similar problems for suspension frames...

MD

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
My mate has drilled 2 holes into the rock guards of his shivers and fitted the sensor from a cat eye 2 kit. The sensors have a reach of 75 mm and the distance between the 2 sensors is a maximum of 60mm at any point of the stroke of the fork, so he thinks his should work.

The only trouble is that I have read some reviews of the cat eye 2 and many are not very positive saying that it just doesnt produce accurate data

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
i cant help but think that recording the distance travelled and maximum speed are not really neceassary. And thus all the complications of a relatively more complex system are removed.

What is necesaary are split times of various parts of the track and total track time

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A cordlesss wont work on a DH fork. The distance from the magnet is too far. I tried numerous times on my super t. I run a Specialized sport now on my 888. They are only $19 and they work great!!! The cord is thicker than most and the cord is pretty long. I usually go through 2 a year from wrecks.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Kanter said:
A cordlesss wont work on a DH fork. The distance from the magnet is too far. QUOTE]

cateye cordless works great on my 02 monster T... sensor is about 3"s up from the axel... i believe on the first gen of cordless the transmission distance was less... my second gen cateye cordless it works a treat

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Cateye cordless, handsdown. I've been using it for over 6 years now, and really did not have any problem with it. I even put it on my lefty, when i had that. With a special made adapter, from stainless steel. It worked great. Very reliable . I have had the first model to. Only i am not using it not any more for over a year. Don't have the need for it on my ds urban bike.