Quantcast

Where to get 3m protective tape in a store or online?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I figured this would be a good question. I am wondering where can i get this protective tape everyone talks about online or in a local shop? I looked all over the place for it in town and couldn't find it. I am just wondering because I know alot of other's are probably wondering where you can go to get this tape.

Just curious, let me know

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
it seems like you can find self adhesive Mylar flim here: www.mcmaster.com Along with any bolt, pin, bushing, bearing, motor, chain, lubricant, air hose, pencil, fitting, or just about anything else you can imagine. It's like Wal-Mart, except they only sell cool stuff.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Originally posted by Kornphlake
it seems like you can find self adhesive Mylar flim here: www.mcmaster.com Along with any bolt, pin, bushing, bearing, motor, chain, lubricant, air hose, pencil, fitting, or just about anything else you can imagine. It's like Wal-Mart, except they only sell cool stuff.
dont go there, i just squandered away around 45 min.s looking for tape.

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
Originally posted by Spunger
I figured this would be a good question. I am wondering where can i get this protective tape everyone talks about online or in a local shop? I looked all over the place for it in town and couldn't find it. I am just wondering because I know alot of other's are probably wondering where you can go to get this tape.

Just curious, let me know
check here
awsome guys with awsome service:thumb:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by mack
dont go there, i just squandered away around 45 min.s looking for tape.
Try part #8689K32

I typed mylar film in the search box and it took me like 30 seconds to find. All you have to do is follow directions.:angry:

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
I had trouble finding this 'tape' as well. This is what i ended up doing.

I called up local motorcycle shops, first asking if they sold dirtbike products. If they did, I asked if they had number plate backing tape, and the first shop that I called that sold dirt bike products, did indeed have this 'tape'. What I got was a product by Factory Effex, plainly called 'background sheets' which come in a couple of different colors, including clear, which is used as 'number plate backing tape'. These are 12x18inch sheets, with 3M logos on the back paper. Sold for 15$ for 3 sheets. I highly recommend this stuff.

This company also has a website, and you can order direct, www.factoryeffex.com. product goes by the name 'background sheets'. On what I bought theres a part number: FX02-6605

hope that helped

-MV

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Why is it that moto shops always have things bikers need. Bikeshopos need to pick up the pace and own their market share.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ioscope said:
Why is it that moto shops always have things bikers need. Bikeshopos need to pick up the pace and own their market share.
What percentage of bike riders would buy it? I don't see greggs carrying this stuff anytime soon.

Hey, bike shops carry shock oil, but I'll gladly go to the moto shop and get it for 1/4 of the price.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Another tip is find a place that does the clear bras for cars. If you can't find them in the yellow pages, ask at a dealership who offers the service or at a custom car place to point you in the right direction.

The stuff is expensive to buy off the roll so ask if they have any scrap pieces they want to part with. For $15 dollars I came away with an assortment of different size pieces which was more than enough to cover my ENTIRE frame. I got couple of scraps that were long enough to cover the down tube in one piece.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
MikeT said:
I had trouble finding this 'tape' as well. This is what i ended up doing.

I called up local motorcycle shops, first asking if they sold dirtbike products. If they did, I asked if they had number plate backing tape, and the first shop that I called that sold dirt bike products, did indeed have this 'tape'. What I got was a product by Factory Effex, plainly called 'background sheets' which come in a couple of different colors, including clear, which is used as 'number plate backing tape'. These are 12x18inch sheets, with 3M logos on the back paper. Sold for 15$ for 3 sheets. I highly recommend this stuff.

This company also has a website, and you can order direct, www.factoryeffex.com. product goes by the name 'background sheets'. On what I bought theres a part number: FX02-6605

hope that helped

-MV
Good call - just picked some up this morning from a local motorcycle shop ($14 for 3 sheets). I was able to find black since I was having trouble getting the clear tape to look right. (I couldn't stand the air bubbles and couldn't get rid of them no matter what I tried).

toby