Quantcast

Where are all the homeless asian people in the US???

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I've visited a number of large cities in the US and I've never seen homeless asian bums standing on street corners panhandling. There are no asian hippies either for that matter...

What gives?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
japanese people commit seppuku before living on the streets.

seriously tho, i have no idea. i have not seen any (? racking brain here) asian bums, in boston, new york, or seattle.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
N8 said:
I've visited a number of large cities in the US and I've never seen homeless asian bums standing on street corners panhandling. There are no asian hippies either for that matter...

What gives?
Mebe homeless people are so covered in layers of clothing, and a layer of dirt, that you can't tell unless you really pay attention to them. My limited experience would suggest that the average tax paying citizen avoids looking/studying too closely.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I have seen asian panhandler in oakland before........A few of them. I didn't really give it a second thought

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i dont remember seeing any asian bums in the US, but i´ve seen a few here, mostly in chinatown.
but the ones i´ve seen are chinese, not japanese. i´d guess 2nd gen chinese people.

on the other hand, the japanese descendants, nissei and nikkei are way overrepresented in the political class....

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I guess it depends on where you live but here in SoCal all the bums I see are either black or white.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Changleen said:
Asians have a work ethic. Caucasians have the lazy gene and it gets the better of some of us.
This is true. They are the hardest working folk I have seen. They also have large, tight family groups that take good care of their own. They will shell out $$ to take care of the group before buying an Xbox or a SUV.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
looks like we need some affirmative action to keep it on even keel.
ya know, swap out some sharp engineering students.

does it seem to anyone else that on the societal continuum that asians are at worst gang-banger wanna-be's who heavily mod their 4-cyl cars? they have some serious work to do if they want to get down here w/ the true dregs of american society.

a little meth will go a long way

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ridemonkey said:
This is true. They are the hardest working folk I have seen. They also have large, tight family groups that take good care of their own. They will shell out $$ to take care of the group before buying an Xbox or a SUV.
RM beat me to it. I was also going to say that perhaps you don't see any Asian bums is possibly because of their tight familial groups and work ethic. I have had many asian friends of over the years and I have always noticed how close they are and that the younger folks really do seem to have respect for their elders. Very refreshing.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Maybe for the same reason you don't see many stray cats around Teriyaki joints :think:

And you guys wonder why their Chicken Lunch Special is so cheap....:D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'd say that they are willing to live 10 to a 1br appt, while others are not.

Plus, they probably have a better family unit that will take care of them should they become destitute.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As a Chinese who has lived around the country, you don't see many Asian bums because there are not many Asians living around the country. Most communities have a very small percentage, although we tend to be very visible for the usual reasons.

In SF, I see a few Asians bumming around. But even in NY, until the last few years, I did not see alot of Asians period, at least compared to SF.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
narlus said:
you've never seen any asian hippies?

come into the world of Acid Mothers Temple

Yeah but those guys are Japanese. and EVERYONE knows the Japanese are a biit loopy :sneaky: Plus I know they're Japanese cuz I'm Chinese and there ain't a snowflake's chance in hell that I can grow facial hair like that.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
they all hang out with one other elusive city dweller that you never see: baby pigeons

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
N8 said:

What gives?
Well alot of Chiness and Japs who come here come with ALOT of money. They're also very hard workers. I think there is something about taking care of family members that is more important to them than most ppl. That way if someone is in trouble in a family the whole family will help out. Maybe....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
All this talk of perfect family units gives me a giggle. Believe me, Japanese families are just as dysfunctional as Western ones.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
valve bouncer said:
All this talk of perfect family units gives me a giggle. Believe me, Japanese families are just as dysfunctional as Western ones.
I know but I remember hearing something about them taking care of familly more than western families. I could be totally wrong but if I'm right it could explain some of it.