Quantcast

What's wrong with Boost?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Exhibit A - Moto wheels: the aftermarket manufacturers of wheels will often have ONE SINGLE HUB SHELL that they'll use for the front, and another single they will use for the rear.

IT WILL FIT ALL MANUFACTURERS FRAMES/FORKS WITH ADAPTERS FOR AXLE/ROTORS/SPROCKET.

Imagine that?!? One goddamn wheelset. Modular. Fits all applications. No farting around trying to match up hubs to frames and forks, with the exception of the cast OEM hubs.

Exhibit B - Mountain bike wheels: Take the above description. Apply the inverse. Why? Because them bicycle engineers DEFINITELY know what they're doing, no matter what anyone says. They are their own breed. Unique, irreplaceable and with infinite vision of what the market needs, even if it doesn't ever realize it. Efficiency, top to bottom. Explicitly obvious in every product.

In defense of cycling engineers, weight is far less of a concern on a moto than and MTB. That frees you up to run all kinds of adapters and what-not, and achieve more strength through alternate means (adding material instead of changing geometry). Not that that addresses Boost shenanagins, but it's worth noting.

My issue with Boost is that it's a viable solution to an entirely made up problem. Wagon wheels flex, you know that, I know that, Trek knows that. It's been fine for the last decade, there have been wider options that could have been fanagled to combat the issue for a decade, spoke counts have been steadily shrinking over that same period and now the industry is moving towards a smaller wheel that largely fixes the issue with zero effort or new parts standards.

The real advantage of boost is the ability to run wider tires, but that's a fairly dubious advantage. I ran Gazzalodi 3.0s on my Stinky 9 back in the day (not proud of it, but it happened), and even with a puny 135mm hub, never had an issue with clearance, definitely had a lot of issues with unsprung and rotational mass though. No reason a frame, especially in this 1x11, BB95, carbon-fibery world we live in can't accommodate a 3" tire with 142mm spacing.

What trek has done is created a "new" standard that means companies have to gamble on implementing. Yeti has taken the bait, and Rube was racing a wider rear end a couple weeks ago, and I've seen a few other 148 rear ends here and there. For the smaller manufacturers, it's a serious gamble, adopt a standard and risk having a bunch of un-sellable inventory and wasted R&D because the standard imploded, or risk losing sales if the standard catches on.

TL;DR: FUCK BOOST

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Spenduro has opened the doors to a whole new breed of plebs with dripping wallets.
At this point it has little to do with logic or engineering, and everything to do with pumping out random new junk coupled with half-arsed marketing knowing that people will line up to buy anything you throw at them.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but things may take a few years to settle down again. On the bright side some actual developments also seem to be happening, you can get a lighter bike for a given strength these days, a lighter fork for a given torsional stiffness, and I predict the bigger sales will bring in bigger paychecks and thus more competent engineering and manufacturing resources over the next few years.

Unfortunately you can also watch while your local gnar trails get replaced with carefully paved highways that don't actually make use of any of the technology being implemented, and I think that's a bigger problem than boost148 for a lot of people.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unfortunately you can also watch while your local gnar trails get replaced with carefully paved highways that don't actually make use of any of the technology being implemented, and I think that's a bigger problem than boost148 for a lot of people.
funny you say this. i just navigated my way over to bike rumor. what's the first article i see? the co-founder of IMBA advocating for e-bikes on bikes trails. not only that, here's the first picture included:

yes. that's the co-founder of IMBA, almost literally paving a trail.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
funny you say this. i just navigated my way over to bike rumor. what's the first article i see? the co-founder of IMBA advocating for e-bikes on bikes trails. not only that, here's the first picture included:

yes. that's the co-founder of IMBA, almost literally paving a trail.
:stosh:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can I negative star something as that dirt compactor thingy for trailwork needs negative?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
What trek has done is created a "new" standard that means companies have to gamble on implementing. Yeti has taken the bait, and Rube was racing a wider rear end a couple weeks ago, and I've seen a few other 148 rear ends here and there. For the smaller manufacturers, it's a serious gamble, adopt a standard and risk having a bunch of un-sellable inventory and wasted R&D because the standard imploded, or risk losing sales if the standard catches on.

TL;DR: FUCK BOOST
And that's the real reason. It's not consumer based. It's incumbent mfg. trying to push out smaller mfg. because they know that the majority of bike mfg. costs are fixed costs.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Spenduro has opened the doors to a whole new breed of plebs with dripping wallets.
At this point it has little to do with logic or engineering, and everything to do with pumping out random new junk coupled with half-arsed marketing knowing that people will line up to buy anything you throw at them.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but things may take a few years to settle down again. On the bright side some actual developments also seem to be happening, you can get a lighter bike for a given strength these days, a lighter fork for a given torsional stiffness, and I predict the bigger sales will bring in bigger paychecks and thus more competent engineering and manufacturing resources over the next few years.

"dripping wallets"...[slow clap]

That *better* be a band name, or it needs to be post haste.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Bump.

Wait, I mean BOOOST!

Seems like this is taking hold. The new pivot Mach 6 released today has boost dropouts, and so does the new DeVinci Troy that's coming out.

:stosh:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Not just boost drop outs, boost drop outs that don't even allow for a mid-fat tire to fit, new Pivot has a max tire clearance of 2.4", my 2002 Kona Bear fit a 2.7 for christsakes, 2.4s would fit on my 1997 Super V.
Are you building a 27.5+ bike or something? I don't think anyone's even making a 2.7 tire for a normal 27.5...?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Are you building a 27.5+ bike or something? I don't think anyone's even making a 2.7 tire for a normal 27.5...?
No, my point was that Boost, the new hub standard that would allow us to run all these "awesome" mid-fat tires is being used to allow us to run a whopping 2.4, same size as virtually all 15 year old XC bikes could with a 135mm QR.

Thus proving the futility of the Boost standard