Quantcast

What's fermenting now?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
bottled my mead that has been fermenting since last November. gonna start some beer after we move next month.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Wheat beers, from what I know, seem to explode with krausen.
I'm realizing that (although I wasn't sure whether it was the honey or the wheat), as it's still going with a TON of krausen 4 days after I brewed. My pale ale was done within about 36h hours of brewing, and everything had settled back down. Even temperatures dropping a little bit (68deg down to 63 this morning) didn't slow things down...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm realizing that (although I wasn't sure whether it was the honey or the wheat), as it's still going with a TON of krausen 4 days after I brewed. My pale ale was done within about 36h hours of brewing, and everything had settled back down. Even temperatures dropping a little bit (68deg down to 63 this morning) didn't slow things down...
..... how much honey did you add....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I've read quite a lot about autolysis and I'm not sure that I buy that it's a problem for home brewers who are following good practices. Maybe if you pitch unhealthy yeast, or way under-pitch, or leave it there for 3-4 months, but it seems like a whole lot of respected sources are of the opinion that autolysis isn't an issue under normal conditions.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
..... how much honey did you add....
2lbs, it's what came with the kit. Krausen's still up to the top of the fermenter, and still bubbling through the blow-off tube (couple/minute, but since it's a big tube it's big bubbles). Currently 4 days and counting so far, so will just let it do it's thing. Can't remember exactly the recipe, but think it was one container of LME (not sure which color), so it was 5.5lbs? 6lbs? Plus 2lbs of honey (and steeping grains).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2lbs, it's what came with the kit. Krausen's still up to the top of the fermenter, and still bubbling through the blow-off tube (couple/minute, but since it's a big tube it's big bubbles). Currently 4 days and counting so far, so will just let it do it's thing. Can't remember exactly the recipe, but think it was one container of LME (not sure which color), so it was 5.5lbs? 6lbs? Plus 2lbs of honey (and steeping grains).
2lbs? holy cow. Where'd you get the kit?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As they say, RDWHAHB.

Let it ferment. It'll finish when it finishes. There's nothing you can do to change the outcome at this point - if there are yeast and fermentables present, all you can do is wait until the fermentables are gone and/or the yeast have settled down.

Trying to interrupt it/change it will only result in excess sugars in your finished product and bottle bombs when it over-carbonates. IMO, anyway!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Bottled my Pale Ale yesterday, and it tasted decently well. Bitterness had definitely mellowed out some, and probably will be pretty tasty in another couple weeks after it's done conditioning.

Moved my honey wheat over to the secondary, so total time in the primary was 2.5 weeks (almost 3). Tasted... off, but it still has at least another couple weeks in the secondary and then bottling to go. (not off as in spoiled, but off as in... a little tasteless and cardboardy)

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Cooking up a small batch on the stove top today.

I was going to do a one gallon batch but screwed up my math and used 3 gallons of mash water. And the battery died on my scale so I'm not exactly sure of my grain bill...

I'm using about six pounds of grain. 5.5 of 2 row and .5 of Munich.

On a side note, I think the last beer I made is infected. It started bubbling again after being in primary for 3.5 weeks....

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
No major temp changes...

However, the beer I bottled 3 weeks ago is also infected. Tastes a little off and the bottles are way over carbed.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
made a beer on monday that should be ready by the end of August/my birthday.

Brown-ish ale.

who else has beer bubbling away?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Bottled up a beer that will be consumed on my birthday at the end of the month. 40 Year Old Ale.

Should be really tasty in a few weeks.:thumb:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I know it's not homebrew, but I'm pretty stoked that I got to brew a 25 bbl batch of my own Dubbel recipe at work on Friday. 20 bbls went in to a fermenter with Westmalle yeast and will be bottled later this month or early next. The other 5 bbls went in to our funky tank with 2 strains of yeast, 2 strains of brett., and 2 souring bacterias. It will go in to oak later this month, may see some fruit at some point, and will hopefully be bottled by next xmas. :)

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
I know it's not homebrew, but I'm pretty stoked that I got to brew a 25 bbl batch of my own Dubbel recipe at work on Friday. 20 bbls went in to a fermenter with Westmalle yeast and will be bottled later this month or early next. The other 5 bbls went in to our funky tank with 2 strains of yeast, 2 strains of brett., and 2 souring bacterias. It will go in to oak later this month, may see some fruit at some point, and will hopefully be bottled by next xmas. :)
that's great. Now I want to try it of course.... both of them. oh and I am in PA so maybe I can come out and visit, would like to see the brewery. :-)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Have a porter sitting in the secondary, and just brewed another PA today. Homemade wort chiller cooled the wort down in about 1/2 hour (with about 3 of the 7 coils out of the wort) as opposed to an hour and 15min with the previous method (ice bath). Wort chiller is made from about 24' of 1/2" copper tubing, and total cost was about $35, not including the beer I bought for a friend to help with the soldering. If I can get all of the coils underneath the wort I'm hoping to cut the chilling time in half...

The brewing is fun, and getting quicker (full brew and cleanup took about 3.5 hours), but bottling still sucks....... Might ask for a tap setup for Christmas.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
starting my first pratial mash next week. gonna be a kolsch bier.
Finally got around to brewing.

My Rye P.A. is bubbling away in the cellar. It was my first PM. It went pretty good. I think I might have enough room in my brew kettle to do a stove top AG. Gonna get another few PM's under my belt first. It was nice using half the extract i usually do. I hope it tastes good.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
^been 10 days in primary...I cant decide if I should rack it or just be lazy as usual. My last brew that had only a primary ferm was great....albeit a long primary.
Thoughts?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I can't remember the last time I did two weeks or less in primary. Longer time seems to be better, despite what the books written 30 years ago say.

The only real reason I secondary anymore is to help drop yeast because I can't cold crash.

I usually do 4 weeks or more in primary.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I can't remember the last time I did two weeks or less in primary. Longer time seems to be better, despite what the books written 30 years ago say.

The only real reason I secondary anymore is to help drop yeast because I can't cold crash.

I usually do 4 weeks or more in primary.
gonna have to research this cold crashing. my keg fridge is empty & my carboy fits it nicely.

done 6 weeks in primary & it was hands down my favorite beer.

think Im gonna leave it...plus I want to use my 5 gal carboy for a half batch of my first AG attempt.:thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just put on a yeast starter for a hoppy brown ale I will be brewing on Sunday.

Next project will probably be a rye pale ale.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
did my first AG recipe this saturday...just a 3 gal batch.
My OG was higher than expected so I think i got good conversion.
It is an all amarillo pale ale....should be tasty.

i just took a gravity reading of my Rye P.A. It is ready @ 6.8%. i just need to let it dry hop for a few days. the sample from my hydrometer jar was stellar. I cant wait for it to be in the bottles.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, my brown ale leveled off at 7.3% alcohol :eek:. That's a pretty heavy brown ale.

I believe this was based off of a 6 gallon recipe that I did not do due diligence on to check. Guess I'm going to call it "imperial" and pretend it was intentional :D. I've read a few bad things about adding water at bottling time to lighten it a little.

Anyone ever tried that?

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I bought a corny keg this weekend. Going to NB on wednesday to pick the rest of my bits & pieces. Hopefully will be drinking home brew outta the tapper by my birfday.

L sez to me on the ride home from getting the keg "we are gonna need to brew more." <3