Quantcast

VP Varial adjustable headset experience?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Looking for user feedback on this. I've only found one review and it mentioned there was a creak that was likely caused by some dirt, but no follow-up on whether it went away after they cleaned it. I just picked up a Canfield One that I'll be switching forks on for DH and AM/FR, and this would make life much easier then swapping adjustable cups.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Crickets.

The prospect of switching forks from DH to single crown and then also changing the head angle for each sounds like way more bike fiddling than I'd ever want to do.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Doesn't bother me if I don't need to swap headset cups (obviously). Swapping a fork only takes 5-10 minutes and it's not something I'd do often.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Allen heads on an electric impact wrench on the lowest torque settings speeds everything way up. You can apply the final pressure using a traditional torque wrench. You can shave even more time off if you elect to use the same stem and don't swap to a direct mount. Brake hose length is cut for the DH fork, but there's not much slack as the A-C of a 40 isn't all that much more then a 170/180mm 36.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Why not just space down your 40 when you're feeling enduro-ey, and use a solid Works angle set instead of a headset that is just asking for creaks?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Allen heads on an electric impact wrench on the lowest torque settings speeds everything way up. You can apply the final pressure using a traditional torque wrench. You can shave even more time off if you elect to use the same stem and don't swap to a direct mount.
You know what'd be even faster? Buying a 2nd bike.