Quantcast

VP Free built up

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I got the VP Free together super late Friday night. Just in time for some lift served riding on Saturday night.

It is right at 39 pounds with heavy wheels and 2.7" tires. I am sure it would be 36-37 with 2.5" on tubeless.

The Build:

Frame: Medium VP Free
Fork: Rockshox 2003 Boxxer Blackbox internals
Headset: King
Bars: Easton Carbon DH
Stem: Thomson 50mm DH
Shifter: Sram X9 trigger
Derailuer: Sram XO
Grips: ODI Intense
Seat/Post: SDG I Fly C (I-beam)
Brakes: Hayes
Cranks: Truvativ Stlyo
Chainguide: Evis SRS
Tires: Maxxis DHF 2.7 & Maxxis 2.5 Swampthing
Hubs: King/Hadley

It rides great. This is easly the best DH bike I have ever ridden. It pedals well and seem bottomless in the travel. I need to get it in some rocks before I do the full review.

Other notes:

1) A 118mm bottom bracket works but the guide needs to be trimmed a bit. Your feet get close to the chainstays too. I would reccomend a 128mm instead.
2) The headtube angle is 66 degrees unloaded. I have enough adjustment in the fork to change that about 1 degree in either direction.

The pics:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Nice ride. wow you could make a really light weight DH bike with that frame.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
RD3 said:
Nice ride. wow you could make a really light weight DH bike with that frame.
A frame is but one component, at a guess it's only a pound or two lighter than most DH race frames, if that, so it's not going to make much difference.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Tweek said:
<----- shaking drool from his keyboard

edit: Why the Stylos for cranks? A little lightweight for a FR bike, no?
They should be strong enough for me since I race DH and rarely do any big drops. If they bend, I have a pair of Holzfeller's in the parts bin.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
ChrisKring said:
The headtube angle is 66 degrees unloaded. I have enough adjustment in the fork to change that about 1 degree in either direction.
Santa Cruz lists the head angle at 67 degrees, and the ones I've been on feel steeper than 66. Did you set yours up slack on purpose?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
El Jefe said:
Santa Cruz lists the head angle at 67 degrees, and the ones I've been on feel steeper than 66. Did you set yours up slack on purpose?
No, that is where it ended up with the fork sitting in the crown in the same place as my previous bike. I need to do some testing at different settings to determine what works best where. Therefore, I just started where it was when I put it together.

Heck, I rode a Giant DH last year that measured at 62 degrees unloaded. If I dropped the stantions down until the lowwers would just hit the crown I could get it to about 63 degrees. Then this year, until I got the VP Free I rode my 2001 DHi that was around 66-67 degrees. All of those numbers are unloaded suspension. The reason you need to test at different angles is that the race sag is different than the unloaded sag which is also different than the static sag. Each bike has a different rear sag so it is different for each bike.

Black Box upgrade: Anyone with a 2003 boxxer can get it from their dealer. I belive Rockshox is doing it as a warrentee. I do know that it was free at the nationals so far this year unless you needed new seals. In that case a complete rebuild with the black box upgrade is $60. Your dealer can do the upgrade too. The upgrade kit if you buy it is around $30-40. Well worth it. While your at it, put the right sized springs in. See Tim Flock's website for starters. If your under 200 pounds with a 2003-2004 boxxer, your stock springs are way too stiff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ChrisKring said:
Heck, I rode a Giant DH last year that measured at 62 degrees unloaded.
:eek: Holy crap, that's 4 degrees slacker than Giant lists their spec at. Are you sure?

Bike looks awesome. Looks like a lot of fun.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, i don't think the giant DH is that slack. my wife's 222 is listed at 64 deg and really feels like it; my giant definitely feels steeper than that.

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Nice new shiny rig. I just picked up a new rig myself (finally! BOO YAH! Iron Horse SGS DH).

One item to note for everyone is that neither e.13 or Santa Cruz recommends a 118mm bottom bracket spindle length for the VPP Free or the V10. These bikes are not designed for this set up.

Running a 118mm bottom bracket spindle length will not allow for the proper set up of the e.13 chain guide system.

Michael
e.13 / Evil

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
ChrisKring said:
It rides great. This is easly the best DH bike I have ever ridden. It pedals well and seem bottomless in the travel. I need to get it in some rocks before I do the full review.
How can you say it is the best, when you haven't ridden it in rocks or raced it?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
narlus said:
because this is the internet!
I really wasn't wanting to bag on the guy, but statements like that (best ever, but I really haven't ridden it) are odd. :confused: Its like the age old "parking lot" test. :rolleyes:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nah, i know. i wasn't trying to be mean either but the opening could not be ignored.

i saw a vp-free finally and in person it looks pretty nice.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
swiss said:
Nice new shiny rig. I just picked up a new rig myself (finally! BOO YAH! Iron Horse SGS DH).

One item to note for everyone is that neither e.13 or Santa Cruz recommends a 118mm bottom bracket spindle length for the VPP Free or the V10. These bikes are not designed for this set up.

Running a 118mm bottom bracket spindle length will not allow for the proper set up of the e.13 chain guide system.

Michael
e.13 / Evil
Thanks

Like I said, I would reccomend a 128mm. I only put it together with the 118 since I had it and the 128mm didn't show up. It's not worth the hassle to get the 118mm on. I just mentioned it as a service to anyone else building one up so they order the correct size.

In addition, I would highly reccomend the E13 rings. They make it much easier to set up the chainguide. It was a breeze. Most other chainrings are way too thick.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Best DH bike yu have tried?

What else HAVE you tried?
I'm not doubting it is sweet... I just want to know what else you have as a comparison.
:thumb:

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
ChrisKring said:
Thanks

Like I said, I would reccomend a 128mm. I only put it together with the 118 since I had it and the 128mm didn't show up. It's not worth the hassle to get the 118mm on. I just mentioned it as a service to anyone else building one up so they order the correct size.

In addition, I would highly reccomend the E13 rings. They make it much easier to set up the chainguide. It was a breeze. Most other chainrings are way too thick.
Alright, Awesome Chris! I just wanted to clarify that as many think that chain guides will work properly with that short of a spindle length.
As for the ring suggestion, I agree. It made my life of fixing pro and amatuer rigs WAY easier!

Michael
e.13

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
-BB- said:
Best DH bike yu have tried?

What else HAVE you tried?
I'm not doubting it is sweet... I just want to know what else you have as a comparison.
:thumb:
Take this for what it's worth, an opinion.

I rode the following for DH:
'96-'99 GT LTS
'99-00 GT I drive with a DC110
'01 GT DHi
'02-'03 Giant DH with Fifth Element and Boxxer

Those were my personal bikes. The short travel bikes worked great for midwest DH racing. However after going to Pkill in 2000, I ordered the DHi the next week. I also rode a Giant AC for Michigan DH during '02 and '03.

In addition, I have time on the following bikes:
2001 Giant DH ATX or whatever it was called
2002 Turner
2001, 2003 M1
2004 Chumba Wumba
2004 Canfield F1
and various other bikes people have let me ride at our races. These are the bikes that I have taken at least a full DH run at a major hill. This doesn't include parking lot rides.

Like I said, so far it's great. Even though it's a "Freeride" bike, it has as more travel than the Giant DH and as much travel as the GT.

I really like how it pedals. No bob at all. Again, full report after I get it into the rocks. I did ride it through sand, high speed corners, 1' tall braking bumps some small drops and some tight turns. Really, it was the easiest bike to get on and go fast on the first run. I did get to ride a VP Free last fall, but I had been on a bunch of other bikes since then.

I would still like to get my hands on a 2005 V10 for when it gets really rough. I could see it being better at Mount Snow, Durrango and possible Diablo on the US Open course. Everywhere else, the lighter and more nimble (short wheelbase) bike will be quicker.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
ViolentVolante said:
chris, time to hijack the thread....

so hows your course in MI going to be for the 24-25 race, im bringing a few guys up for it
You were there earlier this year, correct?

Basically, we are going to slow it down a bit for the less skilled by putting in a few extra corners. We never expected to see beginner's launching into the rock gardens like they were. Time to make it harder again. Other than that, similar to what was there before.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ChrisKring said:
You were there earlier this year, correct?

Basically, we are going to slow it down a bit for the less skilled by putting in a few extra corners. We never expected to see beginner's launching into the rock gardens like they were. Time to make it harder again. Other than that, similar to what was there before.

nope ive never been there, the first time we met was at the bottom of Mt snow, and ya told me to come to the race

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
yes there's camping right at Marken glen park, call and reserve a spot it might fill up, #269-383-8778

its an all new camp ground full hookups and showers.