Riding the baggage carousel.
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
:(
http://spaceflightnow.com/2014/10/31/virgin-galactics-spaceshiptwo-suffers-anomaly-during-test-flight/

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/virgin-galactics-spaceship-two-experiences-in-flight-anomaly-103114

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just a few weeks ago Branson was complaining that the FAA wasn't moving fast enough to allow VG do the commercial space flights. They also killed a few people a few years ago during a rocket motor test.

There will always be accidents, but I'd want/expect a commercial space operation to be as safe as possible.

Safety is a rabbit you chase, but you never truly catch it.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Just a few weeks ago Branson was complaining that the FAA wasn't moving fast enough to allow VG do the commercial space flights. They also killed a few people a few years ago during a rocket motor test.

There will always be accidents, but I'd want/expect a commercial space operation to be as safe as possible.

Safety is a rabbit you chase, but you never truly catch it.
Why is he bothering with the FAA? Why doesn't he do all of this in Australia or something? They have deserts. And it's a lawless prison colony. (with a far less strict aviation authority)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Probably because Branson is English and the US government has a long long history of taking spiteful punitive actions against companies doing anything outside of it's oversight and control, especially when it's something that could conceivably be converted to military or intelligence functions.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Why is he bothering with the FAA? Why doesn't he do all of this in Australia or something? They have deserts. And it's a lawless prison colony. (with a far less strict aviation authority)
and they won't let those tainted with the ebola in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Everyday honest hardworking Americans are lined up to take space joy-rides with him. They've already paid for their ticket.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I can't even imagine what regs they are working to. I assume they are planning to type certify the aircraft. You can't fly people on an experimental permit.

And I'm sure they are having to invent rules as they go along.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can't even imagine what regs they are working to. I assume they are planning to type certify the aircraft. You can't fly people on an experimental permit.

And I'm sure they are having to invent rules as they go along.
Yes, I have friends involved in commercial space certification.

Last I heard from Branson was that he was unhappy it was taking so long to certify the thing and get it out of experimental, or something along those lines.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I mean....do these things have emergency slides and O2 masks? They must

Did they invent a new FAR chapter?

Say what you will about Branson....but seriously in fact he IS transforming the industry (and then some). When the govt has to invent new rules for what you're doing, it's pretty big.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i thought he built these just to get to his island quicker...