Quantcast

Understanding compression

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
I was just wondering about the difference between a fork with high speed compression and one without like mine.

I read an post on thumper talk about HSC.
And if I understand it correctly, HSC is "activated" when the pression is to high to get only threw the LSC orifices. therefore with HSC the fork will compress more over little rocks and fast compressions ?

So (in theory) my RC fork would react similary with a fork with HSC that is set on very hard ?
And if i would blast threw a rockgarden my fork would compress very little but a fork with HSC set on soft will almost go threw all the travel ?

Are there any fork understanding guys that could clear me up ?

Genius or not all help is appreciated ; )

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You're left with fixed HSC dampers most of the time. What you can control on low-to-mid range shocks and forks is LSC, the bleed/orifice type of damping circuit. Oversimplifying, once the LSC circuit is overwhelmed by the pressure built by the piston, the HSC circuit kicks in. In fixed-style HSC damping circuits, some shims covering ports in the piston head would deflect more or less according to the speed of the shaft, presenting more surface (and thus more friction) to the oil passing by. Some adjustable HSC circuits work by modifying the preload on the shims or by means of a poppet valve (i.e. a la CCDB), in which case you are still modifying the preload of the spring which holds the poppet valve closed.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just because you cannot adjust the HSC damping with an external control does not mean that your fork does not have a HSC circuit, unless you ride on a Wallmart pogo stick.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I'd rather ride a fork or shock w/o over abundant knobs. Now that we know I ride solo, don't rely on Compression adjustments to set your fork's spring rate. Figure how your weight & it match what can be set with spring rate, then add or subtract LSC/HSC from there.
LSC is generally a slight layer of spring-rate (effective). HSC is like you say - allows the square stuff in or out.