Quantcast

Turner DHR sizing/geometry

PAMS 25

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
Métabief, France
Hey,

I’m highly considering a 2nd hand 2005 DHR for my next year frame (look forward to get one from a monkey :sneaky: ) and I have run into a dilemma… what size to get : Small or Medium ?

I’m approximately 177cm (5’9”ish), run my seat pretty high and like my bikes on the small side for handling. I have actually a medium Specialized Big Hit with a 597mm (23.5”) TT length. It feels a bit too long even with a 35mm stem; it is pretty tough to handle and to weight the front-end in the steep sections. I think a smaller frame with a 50mm stem would be better for me.

Since Turner does not have their effective TT lengths listed on their website, it’s almost impossible to compare the geometrys of those frames and unfortunately, nobody in my area owns a DHR. So, I need your help guys. :help:
Which size should I go with? Anyone rode a Big Hit then a DHR and can compare the two frames, size-wise ? Any idea on the effective TT length of the small and medium DHR ?...
I also noticed Johny C and Colin Bailey run small DHR. Anyone know how tall they are ?

Thanks a lot :thumb: ,
Pierre-Antoine

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Im 5'10 and run the Medium DHR with a 50mm stem and no setback post. It feels perfect for me. I also once owned a Medium bighit comp (the red one) and felt it was really long for a medium.

If in doubt, e-mail turner and they just might be able to supply that dimension if its not on the sizing chart. They are usually good about responding to those e-mails.

Good luck.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
I'm 5'6 and ride a small 04 DHR. I've ridden a small Big hit and find the two pretty close in size. My trail bike is a Med. SC Bullit but thats cuz I have to pedal that thing up hill. At your height...you might be able to go either way. Your weight might be a factor in deciding.
BTW....I love my DHR!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Strange. I rode with a guy named Pierre from France in Whistler last week and we switched up bikes so he could try out my DHR and compare it to his specialized.

Anyway......DHRs if anything run a little longer than other manufacturers comparable small, mediums and larges.

Saying you like a smaller feeling bike, I'd go with the medium. I'm 5 ft 7 inches and I ride a medium but I like longer front ends.

PAMS 25

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
Métabief, France
kidwoo said:
Strange. I rode with a guy named Pierre from France in Whistler last week and we switched up bikes so he could try out my DHR and compare it to his specialized.
Hmmmm Whistler... I wish it was me. :p

Here is the email of Casey:

The problem with an effective top tube length on a bike like the DHR is that in order to take the measurement the saddle would need to be adjusted to a height which is taller than anyone would actually ride the bike. This would make the measurement useless. I can say that if you ended up ridding a small, at 5'9" you would be the first person to do so. I am fairly confident you will need the medium frame.

Let me know exactly how you would like me to measure the frame and I will be happy to do so.

Thanks
Casey

Well, I think I will go with a Medium. Plus the small could be tougher to find in the used market. Thanks for the help guys. :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The one measurement I use that is more valuable than anything when it comes to riding DH/Freeride/dirtjump bikes where you're standing up most of the time is a Downtube measurement. This is from the BB center to the headtube center....preferably at the intersection of a line through the downtube and a line through the headtube.......center to center like you would measure on a road bike. This ties together your two points of contact....your feet and your hands. The need for this measurement is one of the old holdbacks from measuring road bikes. The effective top tube measurement needs to just die.

Take a look at evil bike's website and look at the imperial. They claim an adjustable top tube.........jeesh. Sure the seat tube angle is really slack but raising the seat does nothing to affect how the bike rides when you're standing up.

enjoy the new bike!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
That measurement has been mentioned for a while... why hasnt anyone really caught on and started listing it? Its not like a few extra #'s can really take up that much more space on a chart....

Props to Casey for a prompt reply to your question.......

PAMS 25

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
Métabief, France
Exactly, Kidwoo.
I was just sending a request to Casey about the downtube measurement of the DHR. Too bad that so much companys don't list them on their website.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
There should be a bunch of frames for sale come fall...... Im undecided.... it depends on if the Highline makes production......or if the DHR gets a major revamp....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
oly said:
There should be a bunch of frames for sale come fall...... Im undecided.... it depends on if the Highline makes production......or if the DHR gets a major revamp....
No doubt,
I am hoping that do not change anything.
I wanna keep my bike, Its my favorite so far.

And Pams 25,
I am 5'10 and have ridden both an '04 small DHR and an '05 med. DHR,
you should be safe on a medium.
On smaller supertight courses (like some of ours in the Southeast) that small was awesome. But anywhere where the speed picks up, you can feel the advantages of the medium.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
PAMS 25 said:
Hey,

I’m highly considering a 2nd hand 2005 DHR for my next year frame (look forward to get one from a monkey :sneaky: ) and I have run into a dilemma… what size to get : Small or Medium ?

I’m approximately 177cm (5’9”ish), run my seat pretty high and like my bikes on the small side for handling. I have actually a medium Specialized Big Hit with a 597mm (23.5”) TT length. It feels a bit too long even with a 35mm stem; it is pretty tough to handle and to weight the front-end in the steep sections. I think a smaller frame with a 50mm stem would be better for me.

Since Turner does not have their effective TT lengths listed on their website, it’s almost impossible to compare the geometrys of those frames and unfortunately, nobody in my area owns a DHR. So, I need your help guys. :help:
Which size should I go with? Anyone rode a Big Hit then a DHR and can compare the two frames, size-wise ? Any idea on the effective TT length of the small and medium DHR ?...
I also noticed Johny C and Colin Bailey run small DHR. Anyone know how tall they are ?

Thanks a lot :thumb: ,
Pierre-Antoine
Well, from what you've said I would go with a small. Jonny C runs one and loves it.. He likes the seat post high also.. He is almost 6".. Colin Baily is probably 5' 9".. I am 5'9" and run a med, but Jonnys bike doesn't feel much different.. Either would work for you, but I'm thinking small for your prefrence..

Hope that helps..

Sgt.