Quantcast
  1. LAST DAY FOR SECRET SANTA ENTRIES! Get your entries in today!
    Go here for details and to learn how to participate.

Turn off your smartyl phone.

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by Mr Jones, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mr Jones New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Question for you tech guru's out there.

Is it a good practice to do a power cycle (on, off, on) with your phone at least once a week?
  2. Arkayne I come bearing GIFs

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Not unless you are experiencing funky wonkiness come end of week. If that's the case, you might have some underlying issue.

Power cycling/restarting used to be a earlier Windows routine. Not so much anymore if you are running a modern os.
  3. syadasti i heart mac

Rep  |  Likes:
    10   |   6
    Actually its no different today with any OS, there are still memory leaks and bugs especially with third party applications which can necessitate a reboot. Memory management has improved but they aren't immune especially with so many lines of code/developers involved and the more limited hardware specs found on smartphones.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. DaveW Space Monkey

Rep  |  Likes:
    20   |   20
    lol I don't get a choice about turning the phone off every few days..... bloody Nokia N97's symbian starts fu*king up and running slower and slower after3-4 days usually by day 5 the screen stops working (software not firmware as it starts working fine again..... As the phone shuts down).
  5. H8R Cranky Pants

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   1
    I just jumped to Android from an S60 device. Dude, get off Nokia right away, you'll be sooo happy.
  6. DaveW Space Monkey

Rep  |  Likes:
    20   |   20
    And I am.... LG P920 Optimus 3D running the 2.2.2 'droid.
    Loving it except for the app's don't quit, so to stop them chewing thru the battery I have to use the application manager to shut them down after using them which is mildly annoying.
  7. woodsguy gets infinity MPG

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I got a Windows Phone last Febuary and since the NoDo update in the spring (on Mango now) the only time I had to restart it is when I installed a 32gb card. Rock solid with zero memory leaks. Background apps are controlled very well so no need for an app manager. Plus, no malware!
  8. woodsguy gets infinity MPG

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0

I must have jinxed myself because I had to reset my phone today! My 3G stopped working. Must be all the switching on/off airplane modes on my last trip. But I don't blame the OS, it seems like a Samsung issue.
  9. Sghost New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Its a Samsung issue.