Quantcast

>>Turdsday GMT<<

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

The drive home last night was some special sort of awful. Took me 2.5 hours to drive the 15 miles home, most of which was spent crawling in first gear. People must really like crashing their cars or something. :wtf:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Roads were fine yesterday here in Kansas. :D The alley is chock full of packed snow and ice, though. I brushed the fluffy stuff off with a big broom but did no more.

Today I get my new laptop, in theory. Was supposed to be ready for me in July, was ordered after they screwed up and gave me a crappy one in September, was here in October, and has been mired in IT-land as they set up the encryption and such (HIPAA is a bitch) since then. Should be nicer albeit bigger and heavier: Core i7, SSD, 1920x1080 screen in a 15.x" form factor.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Job offer rescinded. I dared ask a few questions about some of their policies... They seemed unprepared for someone with a bit of experience. So be it.

I sense that I just dodged a bullet. A bullet that would have given me money, mind you, but still a bullet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What were these terrible questions you asked? Would they make sense to an outsider to the field?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Lady is out of town on business, so I get to play video games and deep fry crap. Skate 3 is pretty bad ass, I have to say. And deep fried Totinos Pizza Rolls are even better. Don't let those little bastards burst in the oil, though. :rofl:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon monkeys. I'd like some snow too please! Still looking for a fatbike (llocal shop hasn't gotten a small in....ordered one "for" me -- provided I like it/it fits and don't get something else first).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What were these terrible questions you asked? Would they make sense to an outsider to the field?
Probably too many questions about policy clarifications in regards to carnal acts in a heavily soiled porta-potty.

Playing around with robot simulation/animation. Industrial welding and pick/place robots, nothing fun like laser toting bending units hell bent on destroying humanity.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Really bad ones:

Why have you quoted Ontario and Alberta employment legislation for a position in BC? (clearly an error in their offer letter)
Can you bank time?
Do you provide professional development support?
etc...

There were others, but nothing terribly provocative. I wasn't making demands, just asking for some specifics. My last job offered some pretty good work-life balance options, so I'm pretty interested to hear what prospective employers offer. The nerve...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Really bad ones:

Why have you quoted Ontario and Alberta employment legislation for a position in BC? (clearly an error in their offer letter)
Can you bank time?
Do you provide professional development support?
etc...

There were others, but nothing terribly provocative. I wasn't making demands, just asking for some specifics. My last job offered some pretty good work-life balance options, so I'm pretty interested to hear what prospective employers offer. The nerve...
Wow, that's crazy. When I was younger and chased the money, I didn't worry too much about work hours and off duty times. But now I know the money comes, I could make a little more elsewhere but I would be giving up a lot in flexibility and environment.

Te cube life here sucks ass, don't get me wrong, but I am left alone and as long as my TPS reports are in on time, I'm left to do whatever.

I have 3 classes this quarter for professional development. One of them is really cool, one is kinda cool, and the 3rd one was because it sucked the least out of the ones available. :rofl: It's part of my goals for the year in terms of "professional development".

<edit> I've never had an offer letter that quoted any legislation, you Canadians are weird.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Wow, that's crazy. When I was younger and chased the money, I didn't worry too much about work hours and off duty times. But now I know the money comes, I could make a little more elsewhere but I would be giving up a lot in flexibility and environment.

Te cube life here sucks ass, don't get me wrong, but I am left alone and as long as my TPS reports are in on time, I'm left to do whatever.

I have 3 classes this quarter for professional development. One of them is really cool, one is kinda cool, and the 3rd one was because it sucked the least out of the ones available. :rofl: It's part of my goals for the year in terms of "professional development".

<edit> I've never had an offer letter that quoted any legislation, you Canadians are weird.
Yeah. Well, having just been laid off in December, I have received a fair amount of advice about things like exit/termination clauses. If they're going to include it in the letter, they should get it right. Given that contractual matters, and scope management/definition was a pretty major part of the job, I would have thought they'd want a candidate that asked a lot of intelligent questions, and who would demand documentation to be accurate and correct. Guess not. Good luck to them. And for the record, it was for an American company.

Given that I've got really young kids (one under 3, and the other 4 months old) I'm wary of signing up for a sweat shop full of chicken with their heads cut off that portrays themselves as something else. Their offer was so-so, less pay for more responsibility, and they had a model for executing projects which was rather suspect.

Yep, the more I think about it, the less bummed I am. No need to dip into the Dakar fund just yet, so no major emergency. Certainly eye opening though.

Maybe I'll go into sales...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nearly missing the birth of my only daughter because I was lead on a project that was shipping was my wake up call. I made it in time (she was born on my birthday, working on my birthday is another matter) but it made me rethink my priorities.

Another reason this job is nice is I am 5 minutes from my daughters school and 7 minutes from her house. While I don't see her as much as I would like, I am close by.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah. Well, having just been laid off in December, I have received a fair amount of advice about things like exit/termination clauses. If they're going to include it in the letter, they should get it right. Given that contractual matters, and scope management/definition was a pretty major part of the job, I would have thought they'd want a candidate that asked a lot of intelligent questions, and who would demand documentation to be accurate and correct. Guess not. Good luck to them. And for the record, it was for an American company.

Given that I've got really young kids (one under 3, and the other 4 months old) I'm wary of signing up for a sweat shop full of chicken with their heads cut off that portrays themselves as something else. Their offer was so-so, less pay for more responsibility, and they had a model for executing projects which was rather suspect.

Yep, the more I think about it, the less bummed I am. No need to dip into the Dakar fund just yet, so no major emergency. Certainly eye opening though.

Maybe I'll go into sales...

I think you dodged a bullet on this one.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Nearly missing the birth of my only daughter......made me rethink my priorities.
Yup. I was there for her birth, but missed a lot the first year. When I stepped down from my previous position, I took a big pay cut, and quite clearly committed career seppuku, and it was totally worth it. You're right though, the money did come. Plus, now I can work OT when ever and if/when its convenient for me, to buy things I don't really need, and I don't have to worry about dealing with people's shit, or having to make/receive 2AM phone calls about the 2, $30 million dollar airplanes we just ran into each other, the guy who just made himself a triple amputee, or freak out about what ever new BS policy just filtered down from on high. I have discovered there is an immense amount of freedom in being a drone, at least in my workplace.