Quantcast

tubeless downhill rims again

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I'm looking for some tubeless DH rims. Weight isn't too much of an issue, but strength and width is. I have been running Singletracks but they are a little too narrow and make my comp32 feel like it's rolling off the rim unless I run high pressures.

I called Mavic to order up some of their UST DH rims (8?? right?) but they said they are out and won't have any for close to 3 months. I then called up a bike shop to order some of the arrow's but the mechanic said he has not found the Arrow's to be very strong and recommended some tubeless rims from Alex. I haven't heard much about the Alex rims, can anyone tell me how they compare to the Arrows?

Are there any other options out there? I'd love something comparable to the Mag 30's but tubeless. I realize I could just throw a rim strip in a set of Mag 30's (and have been considering it) but I would prefer to just get a set of tubeless rims as they seem to mount and air up easier.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
A Mag 30 UST does exist, but I dont think its avalible in North America.. But it is is Canadian distributor books.

I havn't heard of this alex rim yet, what model are we talking about?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Man I dunno what to tell you about Arrow rims except they are heavy, and strong as fuk. I love my Arrow DHX rims. haven't had 1 problem with them yet. Mine aren't running tubeless but I know that they can be.

Just wanted to add my .02 cents to this one. Arrow rims are NOT weak, hell they are some of the strongest rims I've seen out there.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Just got off the phone with Arrow and found out that their tubeless DH rim won't be out until this winter at the earliest. Looks like I'm running out of options, maybe I will end up just having to go with a Mag 30 and rim strips.

Any other ideas for tubeless DH rims?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just get the stans kit and installe on your current rims if they are still ok. You then have the chance to learn more about tire pressure, installation and tire choice. Then buy the new Mavic rim when its ready for release. I will be in Whistler from Thursday to Sunday if you want to see my setup of stans, Maxxis Highrollers and Mavic 321 just look for a matt black Orange 222 with a Shiver up front.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
crashing_sux said:
Just got off the phone with Arrow and found out that their tubeless DH rim won't be out until this winter at the earliest. Looks like I'm running out of options, maybe I will end up just having to go with a Mag 30 and rim strips.

Any other ideas for tubeless DH rims?
Most of the Pros that ride Sun Rims were riding the new MTX rim with Stans inside. I asked the guys at Michelin how it was working, and they said it worked well, it was just not as easy to set up as the UST rim.
The inside of the rim looks setup perfect for Stans though.
These rims look like the Mag 30's but are alot lighter.