Quantcast

Totally clutch, or why I give a **** about 10 speed now

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
The article (or any of the blistergearreview.com-articles) doesn't appear to be working (not for me at least), can somebody sum things up?
(I've "always" run Sram, but the Zee seems like a good budget alternative as the x9 clutch is damn expensive..) How are the weights compared to regular mechs?

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
OK, then run this page:
http://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/43778-umbau-shadow-plus-auf-9-fach-kettengluck-2-0
through Google translate, send your derailleur and €15 to that guy (or try to modify yourself), ebay off your 10sp stuff and thank me that I saved you from 10sp hell. :D
Very interesting.

I think I am going to try this on a Zee clutch. There is more material on the cable stop lever arm, looks like it just needs a hole drilled in the appropriate spot to get the right cable pull....

Last edited:

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Very interesting.

I think I am going to try this on a Zee clutch. There is more material on the cable stop lever arm, looks like it just needs a hole drilled in the appropriate spot to get the right cable pull....
I have two decent rides now on the unusual combo of 9spd X9 shifter and XT 9spd Cassette, and a new 10spd SLX Shadow+ Dérailleur. Shifting is good, and all the good things said about clutch dérailleurs already seem to be true.

This setup did seem a lot more sensitive to hanger alignment than my x9 dérailleur did. I had to borrow the tool from a friend, and straighten the hanger before shifting was acceptable.

As it so happens, my x9 shifter went kaput at the very end of the last ride (it has been on its death bed for a while) so I have ordered the full 10spd setup.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
boylagz is just messing with you

1. Clutch derailleurs are actually an entirely new system with an entirely new chain configuration. The derailleurs themselves act as centripetal clutches so ideas like "10 speeds" aren't even really relevant anymore

2. Correct. They won't work with multi-ring cranks

3. Definitely a different shifter. They're hydraulic.

4. You have a funny accent
laughing so hard right now. kidwoo you're the man.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I have two decent rides now on the unusual combo of 9spd X9 shifter and XT 9spd Cassette, and a new 10spd SLX Shadow+ Dérailleur. Shifting is good, and all the good things said about clutch dérailleurs already seem to be true.
Very interesting. SRAM 9 speed shifters pull 32mm cable. Dyna-sys shifters pull 32mm cable. If you want 9 speed clutch, run sram shifter with dynasys derailleur.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I remember at the start of last year, Dave Turner was asking me what I thought of single ring systems versus dual ring setups and what I thought the most common gearing was.

Why?

Because all the suspension designers have to plot their pivots and suspension characteristics (kinematics?) around the size of chainrings in the front. Are suspension designs like all the Specialized EVO's, etc changing their suspension layouts to be mated to a particular front chainring setup?

Holy cow, this stuff is complex! :banghead:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are suspension designs like all the Specialized EVO's, etc changing their suspension layouts to be mated to a particular front chainring setup?

Holy cow, this stuff is complex! :banghead:

The fulcrum was designed specifically so that you could change effective gear ratios without impacting pedaling performance on the rear end. Horribly complex way to achieve what an idler does.

That goes back to my personal opinion on front derailleurs. I don't love them, but I like that I can change chainring sizes, which has an effect on pedaling performance on the rear end. I like being able to shift down and get more pedal feedback, or shift up and get none. For that reason alone, I don't think I'd love a single front chainring.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
That goes back to my personal opinion on front derailleurs. I don't love them, but I like that I can change chainring sizes, which has an effect on pedaling performance on the rear end. I like being able to shift down and get more pedal feedback, or shift up and get none. For that reason alone, I don't think I'd love a single front chainring.
If they had Clutch derailleurs 3 years ago there's a good chance I would have never gone to a 1x setup. But 3 years and 4 bikes later I have no desire to ever mess with a front derailleur again. My new bike comes stock with a Sram X.9 type 2 and a single front ring, it will be my first Clutch derailleur and I'm hoping with some strategically placed Velcro and mastic tape I can make the bike silent. I read a review or comment somewhere about clutch derailleurs where the person said it made his bike so quiet now he can hear himself fart while he rides. :rofl:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you mean increasing the percent tacticality of my antisquats by "riding like crap", then yes, we're on the same page.

I know Richard Cuntyham don't like it, but having more chain torque related lockout when you're climbing actually improves traction. Switching back into a big ring as soon as you hit the top reduces it back to zero/100%, so you can go on your merry 10 speeding way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you mean increasing the percent tacticality of my antisquats by "riding like crap", then yes, we're on the same page.

I know Richard Cuntyham don't like it, but having more chain torque related lockout when you're climbing actually improves traction. Switching back into a big ring as soon as you hit the top reduces it back to zero/100%, so you can go on your merry 10 speeding way.
dude i don't think about all that sh*t when I ride. I just pedal harder.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^ Yeah I know, I've had so many rides ruined by thinking about shifting too much. :rolleyes:

I like simplicity. I also live in a place where trail rides require a very broad range of gears. Personally I think about shifting a lot less when I can ride in the right gear whenever I want.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
A narrower gear range doesn't make you think about shifting, it makes you think about why your tires are soo dammed heavy right now, and what you should be eating to make you climb better next time. Nachos definitely make me climb faster. Must eat more nachos.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
A narrower gear range doesn't make you think about shifting, it makes you think about why your tires are soo dammed heavy right now, and what you should be eating to make you climb better next time. Nachos definitely make me climb faster. Must eat more nachos.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Very interesting. SRAM 9 speed shifters pull 32mm cable. Dyna-sys shifters pull 32mm cable. If you want 9 speed clutch, run sram shifter with dynasys derailleur.
I think I might try that. The lack of a clutch is the only thing I don't like about my current 9 speed X0 setup on my DH bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nacho nacho man!

I like to sing the spongebob theme song during climbs