Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Who would have ever thought that a Land Cruiser would pose such problems? Perhaps a trade for an H2? That might work out better for you.
I still think the Land Cruiser is the best answer to the question that I asked…, even if I asked the wrong question, as it turns out. I'll probably keep it around, parked on the street, despite my musing about selling it.

I do think that the Colorado + Federal EV tax credits are such that I'll push for having at least one LEAF around the house even after our current lease is up. I'll keep everyone updated if I get audited for buying and selling one each year. :D

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mariko today:

"Can you do your happy face?"

Bulk Mardi Gras beads from Amazon == extended baby amusement with her "necklaces"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I can't justify another car based on gas cost, as my short commute means only $300 or so in gas for a whole year... but I potentially could justify buying and then selling a brand new LEAF each tax year.

Say what? I think I've mused about this before, but here are some numbers:

Exhibit A: Nissan LEAF SV. I could buy one new for $32k + TTL without drama via Costco or Truecar. With one year on it and 8-10k it looks like it should fetch $20k per autotrader.

Exhibit B: $7,500 Federal and $6,000 Colorado EV tax credits. A LEAF at this price and battery capacity would qualify for both of these credits in full: CO goes by msrp x kWh / 100, iirc.

Rinse and repeat each tax year for profit, or at the most a small loss via TTL? I don't see any provisions limiting the number of times one can take these credits, which would be the only show stopper that I foresee...

Hmm. For garage space reasons it might not be feasible to have two LEAFs at our current house, but I must consider this seriously once said current leased LEAF has been returned to the Nissan mothership.
Upon reflection, I don't think its would be profitable unless I invested a lot of precious time into selling each car private party. Selling to Carmax would probably result in a yearly "loss"/positive cost to own and run, and selling private party for an EV that's difficult to ship and not super attractive to the locals once the Colorado tax credit has been cashed in, as it were, would be dicey.

I also discovered tonight that car widths are reported exclusive of mirrors. This makes our 190" wide "two car" garage door even more farcical. No wonder I see precisely no one else on our alley with two cars actually within the garage.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I also discovered tonight that car widths are reported exclusive of mirrors. This makes our 190" wide "two car" garage door even more farcical. No wonder I see precisely no one else on our alley with two cars actually within the garage.
I saw someone with two cars in their tiny garage on my alley today! Newer Jetta and last gen Outback iirc, the latter tucked far right.

I've also spied three GM two mode hybrids in the last three days: two Tahoe Hybrids and one Silverado Hybrid (!). The pickup didn't have the stupid looking nearly ground scraping front air dam, in a concession to job site aesthetics, I guess.

Finally, I discovered that the supposedly four speed transmission on those hybrids was vastly undersold. It's a cvt that happens to be able to mechanically lock itself into four fixed gears along the way:

http://confluence.engin.umich.edu/download/attachments/1605717/hybridvehiclessession5-1.pdf

Cool stuff, this. A Tahoe Hybrid would be equally useful/useless to me currently as my Land Cruiser, but I do dig the tech.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Upon reflection, I don't think its would be profitable unless I invested a lot of precious time into selling each car private party. Selling to Carmax would probably result in a yearly "loss"/positive cost to own and run, and selling private party for an EV that's difficult to ship and not super attractive to the locals once the Colorado tax credit has been cashed in, as it were, would be dicey.
Oof: ebay motors completed listings suggest that $16k might be all that a year old SV would fetch realistically:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?Make=Nissan&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:100&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=nissan+leaf&_dcat=173663&Model%20Year=2013&rt=nc

That kills my plan's economic basis. Out the door with that idea. (pity the fools who didn't lease their EVs!)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I am fickle. I still like the Land Cruiser, but with it on the street instead of crammed into the tiny garage, plus its running costs, plus the ease of parking the small LEAF with its Around View cameras, we end up taking the electric car most of the time.

I hope that I'll have more chance to get up into the mountains in, say, 5 years, but my life for the next few years will be very urban and very centered around work and kid-stuff. Hmph.
at least wait until snow season is over before you sell it....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
at least wait until snow season is over before you sell it....
Definitely. If I do anything it'll be in June or so, before registration renewal. Snow season will not be a big deal, as I don't foresee getting up to the slopes much with then 2-year old Mariko and potential Thing 2 on the way.

It's tough to argue against keeping it around (besides the garage space issue), since its depreciation is so slow at this point. Anything else I might replace it with, even more frugal at first glance, would cost me more overall and do less… although would probably fit in the garage better.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Made some decisions today.

1) Found/revisited a house plan we like.

Optioned as desired it'll come out to about 2.2x my current gross income. Oof. Assuming my career trajectory and bonus expectations are in line this would decline to a more reasonable 1.7 or 1.8x in a few years as I make more.

Even at 2.2x and with my big pile of student loans, mortgage calculators say we should be ok even with a 15 year note. I am somewhat dubious. Need to get a few normal months of expenses vs income under belt to see how it feels.

Timeline for this house-building proposal would be contract in winter, finish before our June rental house lease is up.

2) We might give the rumored unreliable and unsupported outside of CA Toyota RAV4 EV a chance, after all.

It seems to check the boxes of what the wifebot wants the best, we can now theoretically afford to ship it back to Cali for service, and I like the prospect of happy wife and tax credits alike.

If I feel we can swing it I'll try to buy one this upcoming spring, so as to have a few months of three-car life in which I can decide to keep the Land Cruiser or not. All shall hinge on how much extra money beyond fixed expenses I really end up with. First few months all excess shall be dedicated to paying down my pile of consumer debt ticking away towards the expiration of 0% rates. After that we shall see if I can swing my grand house and car plans as above...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If I feel we can swing it I'll try to buy [a RAV4 EV] this upcoming spring, so as to have a few months of three-car life in which I can decide to keep the Land Cruiser or not. All shall hinge on how much extra money beyond fixed expenses I really end up with. First few months all excess shall be dedicated to paying down my pile of consumer debt ticking away towards the expiration of 0% rates. After that we shall see if I can swing my grand house and car plans as above...
I figured out expenses vs expected income, and the short answer is that I can't afford everything I want. Something will have to give, and I can't will myself to make more money and am not willing to save less than 20% (including employer match) towards retirement.

Problems in the budget, beyond the house cost itself, which is non-negotiable if we build:

- student loans, for which repayment on standard 10 year plans would be a touch over $3k/mo alone. Refinancing can get this down to $2800 or $2700, but it's still a huge amount of money.

- preschool, doubly compounded if we have more kids. Even if we have three we'll probably only have at most two simultaneously in non-free preschool. One kid at the current school runs $1070/mo for five half days per week, so I'm actively encouraging the wife to look at a 20-25% cheaper still local, still Montessori option, and am reemphasizing that we should take advantage of free public schooling from Kindergarten onward, since our house prices are high in large part because of the good school district.

- car costs, albeit this being a distant third. Perhaps re-upping for another LEAF lease is in the cards instead of a RAV4 EV. It's hard to accurately compare leased EV costs with bought EV costs given the tax credits rolled into the capitalized price of one vs granted at year end for the other. I'm ambivalent about trying to save money on this one given the much smaller magnitude of potential savings.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well if not having more kids is not an option in your domestic situation.
Downgrade your car dreams.
Pick 1 "ok" car each and stick with them, don't change cars every frickin year.
They will if maintained generally last a decade, every time you take a new car off the lot you lose craploads IMO.
Never been able to understand peoples obsession with getting a new car every year, the higher the original price the greater the rate of depreciation, in the NZ market cars lose the greatest amount of value in the first 2 years, after that they tend to hold value better.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Points duly taken.

We have to replace the LEAF next year since it's now on its second year of a two year lease. Due to Federal tax credits for EVs leasing for a short term like this made sense while we were in Seattle, and buying used wasn't an option as the used market is still in its infancy. Now that we're in Colorado there's more incentive to buy an EV outright as there's an extra state tax credit, plus I'm not sure if Toyota would even write a lease for a non-California RAV4 EV as they really want all of them to stay in state.

If Jessica weren't set on another EV then we'd be looking at used cars to buy and hold onto as per your advice, but EVs are a whole different ball game.

My Land Cruiser is actually pretty sane financially, despite being a land barge. It's a 2007 bought at under 40% MSRP, and is a model that depreciates quite slowly after this point. The last few cars in my life have been quite sane, too, bought used (or given to me, for one) and then sold for a reasonable loss/modest profit on the one after use for a few years.

Not having more kids is not an option, heh. Once they hit public Kindergarten they'll be cheap until college. :D By then, though, student loans will be gone, cars long paid off, and house hopefully largely paid off, plus I'll be making a bit more via promotions (two by then, to full Professor, per my plan) and bonuses.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Additional unforeseen downside of parking the Land Cruiser on the street: Denver apparently has very hard water (lots of calcium and other crap in it). Sprinkler systems run off municipal water, so are laden with said deposits. Said sprinkler systems shower the side of my Land Cruiser and then create all manner of terrible water spots that are then baked to a crisp by the sun...

I tried to remedy this by using an acid based cleaner yesterday, applying it while in the parking lot of a supposedly open local carwash. This acid stuff is only supposed to remain on paint or glass for one minute. Turns out their machine was broken even though it accepted payment, leaving me to rush home, frantically pull out the hose and brush, and rinse that crap off.

Perhaps a 5 minute acid soak was what the car really needed... it sure took all of the remaining wax off, at the very least.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
One more step towards 2.2 kids and white picket fence life:

I just bought a Simplisafe Classic home security system. The rental house has ADT keypads (and possibly sensors) but I'm betting ADT would bend me over in fees, especially since we may be in here in this rental house 9 more months, possibly 21, but certainly not 36+.

Impetus was break ins last month and yesterday at three houses within a block.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Kingston Peak was fun today, more fun than last attempt when a key gate was closed. Long day, though, about 7 hours door to door from Denver, running the whole loop. I took Mariko along, and she actually can sleep while bouncing over rocks!

The only other vehicles doing the whole loop were Wranglers and two lifted two-gen-old Grand Cherokees. The earlier segments of trail from Tolland to the first real gate are easy: high range, center diff unlocked, just roll over everything. Hell, I saw a Prius pretty far up the trail!

Later segments had some tricky bits: this ledge and a climb or two which had ATRAC working hard. I was thankful for first and second gear low range engine braking during the very long descent back into Idaho Springs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I finally found a decent group to play with. Too bad it's in Thornton, which is physically close but along the terrible during commuting hours I-270. The group is a step down from our Long Island group but is still pretty good in the community music scheme of things, plus I get to step in as assistant principal thanks to that person having fallen down and hitting her head, or some such.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think I finally found a decent group to play with. Too bad it's in Thornton, which is physically close but along the terrible during commuting hours I-270. The group is a step down from our Long Island group but is still pretty good in the community music scheme of things, plus I get to step in as assistant principal thanks to that person having fallen down and hitting her head, or some such.

Dr. Toshi in the Conservatory with a candlestick.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Apparently she's old, clumsy, and a frail thing in general, or so the story goes (elder abuse?). Broke both arms and a hip in the past. Either way, it's nice to not be buried in the depths of a very loud dozen+ trumpet section.

I-270 really is a horrible mess, though, plus construction on the roads by the school at which the group rehearses renders them highly bumpy and unmarked. I shall try my luck with my Land Cruiser and back roads next week.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
One more step towards 2.2 kids and white picket fence life:

I just bought a Simplisafe Classic home security system. The rental house has ADT keypads (and possibly sensors) but I'm betting ADT would bend me over in fees, especially since we may be in here in this rental house 9 more months, possibly 21, but certainly not 36+.

Impetus was break ins last month and yesterday at three houses within a block.
System arrived on Friday and I set it up today after my sleepless 24-hours-in-Cincinnati trip. It was about as painless as could be. Since we are only in this house for a limited time I used the included double sided tape rather than screws to mount the keypad, sensors, etc.

I did install a door sensor on the garage, since, as above, garages are what have been hit in my neighborhood. This may prove to be a mistake. We shall see how many times my wife trips the system by opening the garage door and not deactivating the alarm… It'll have to become reflex to hit "off" on the keyfob before using the garage door opener.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We have to replace the LEAF next year since it's now on its second year of a two year lease.

If Jessica weren't set on another EV then we'd be looking at used cars to buy and hold onto as per your advice, but EVs are a whole different ball game.
So Jessica's insistence on another EV to replace the LEAF may be weakening. Today we test-sat, Mariko in tow, in a Jeep Cherokee, a Grand Cherokee, and a new (as opposed to the still on-sale old-ass Classic design) Nissan Rogue.

Grand Cherokee was deemed too big by her. She liked the Cherokee's form factor and packaging, but liked the Rogue more yet.

I approve of this--even new, optioned out it'd be a reasonable ~$30k + TTL, it gets 28 mpg combined, it's a good size/would fit in any foreseeable future garage including that of the current rental house, and it has our favorite Around View Monitor setup. Downside is necessity to visit gas station now and then, and a little extra for me to pay in carbonfund.org papal indulgences each year.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I did install a door sensor on the garage, since, as above, garages are what have been hit in my neighborhood. This may prove to be a mistake. We shall see how many times my wife trips the system by opening the garage door and not deactivating the alarm… It'll have to become reflex to hit "off" on the keyfob before using the garage door opener.
Count so far is one, and the police were not summoned: the monitoring company called and she remembered our code word so the hounds were called off.

In other news, I would drive this pickup:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-tristar-is-a-luxurious-double-cab-off-ro-1638019570/+travis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I test drove an Infiniti M45 today and am now cured of any latent desire for one. This 2004 model with 103k hard miles on the odo wasn't the most pristine example, but its shortcomings are endemic to its breed (and I won't harp on this car's unique faults).

For those wondering why I'd even look at such a car, I posted about it in 2012 after seeing one on the street for the first time, and Jalopnik apparently copied my idea in a 2013 post:

https://plus.google.com/115479414905422234350/posts/C9EayeZXzvH
http://jalopnik.com/why-the-infiniti-m45-is-the-next-future-classic-678729583

Pros:

- styling is unique, and I think quite sharp even to this day, certainly better than the modern bulges and swoops of Infiniti design language
- decent top end rush from the V8
- compact sedan feel, with corners easily placed, narrow width, and generally cozy cockpit feel
- amenities including cooled seats that were rare indeed in 2004

Cons:

- not enough headroom for my torso and head, even with the wheel telescoped all the way out in order to maximize recline
- narrow footwell and generally narrow feel
- tight back seat and trunk given supra-midsize dimensions
- little low end torque and slushbox make it feel less than spry
- relatively high cowl height and short windshield

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I also took a brief test drive today in a used 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, with an idea of it as a Land Cruiser replacement in summer 2015, for Jessica to drive.

It's certainly nicer to drive than my beast. H-point is similar to the mother in law's Lexus RX (the latter probably copied from the former), visibility is good, power is fine, turning circle is surprisingly tight, interior room suitably vast, and access to the third row not bad at all.

Of course, I put a wheel up on a 7-8" tall curb next to a storm drain while parking for dinner, in order to come off the curb with both sets of axles tucked up nicely parallel to the curb. I couldn't have done that in a car or minivan... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Made some decisions today.

1) Found/revisited a house plan we like.

Optioned as desired it'll come out to about 2.2x my current gross income. Oof.
The above was in mid-August. We visited the model home again yesterday, father in law in tow, and found out some very welcome news: due to slow sales the builder cut the non-negotiable per master developer covenant base price by $45,000! That plus not checking a few option boxes would cut the net price $65-95k, and that in turn makes the finances totally doable, even short term with car loans and Mariko in paid preschool.

Score.

We also decided that trying to arrange finances in winter and pray to teh FSM for a pre-July completion/closing date is way too risky.

Instead I'll get underwritten for a mortgage in late winter, wait out the developer opening up the swath of (comparatively) big lots that we desire and then sign a contract whenever that happens (spring to summer?), and then rent our current house for a whole extra year. That way, they'll have probably 14 months to complete the house. If we eat a month or two on the rental's lease then so be it, given the price and hassle to us of short term housing plus an extra move are huge.

Another upside is that I'll have a whole extra year of relatively cheap rent in which to pay down our sundry other, higher rate debts (student loans!), or alternately save up a down payment for a conventional mortgage rather than a higher rate "doctor's loan" with little or no money down. I'll have to do the math on that to see which works out to be cheaper.

Here's the builder's site: http://www.newtownbuilders.com/denver-aurora-new-homes-builder/solaris-ii-single-family-homes-at-conservatory-green/solaris-ii-single-family-homes-at-conservatory-green-from-the-mid-300′s/

We'd be looking at a Hale sub-model with finished basement and most likely the zero energy option. 9.5" thick exterior walls (two 2x4" walls with offset studs and an air gap) and double pane windows are standard. Zero energy option gets one owned rather than leased solar, a heat pump, and more efficient appliances, I believe?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I also took a brief test drive today in a used 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite, with an idea of it as a Land Cruiser replacement in summer 2015, for Jessica to drive.
The implied message in this above post is that there indeed will be at least another kid in our future. We're still some weeks from announce-to-Facebook stage after determining proper number of chromosomes and such, but the initial ultrasound is done and Thing 2 is indeed inside the uterus, with a heartbeat, both necessary conditions for future kid-ness.

:banana:

Thus my musing about replacing the Land Cruiser post-winter (and post-credit score rescue with paying off of cc debt) with a minivan... I'd drive the LEAF until it's lease is up, then would downsize a bit, perhaps to a sedan. Said sedan won't be a 2004 Infiniti M45, that's for certain. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
musing about replacing the Land Cruiser with a minivan... I'd drive the LEAF until it's lease is up, then would downsize a bit, perhaps to a sedan.
I like numbers. MOAR NUMBERZ!

Takeaway points: new LEAF would be almost as cheap as a beater over the first 5 years, and there's not a ton of money to be saved by me going from my Land Cruiser to anything short of a true liability-only beater.

Updated:

I also briefly mapped out the costs for a Mitsubishi i, or i-MiEV, or whatever the official name is, in hopes that it'd be cheaper yet. It turns out that it wouldn't be despite a $23k MSRP pre-tax credits, because its 16 kWh pack means it doesn't qualify for the full Federal tax credit, and the product of its pack kWh and MSRP means it only gets just over half of the Colorado credit. Combine that with its reputation to be pretty horrid to drive and it has no allure over a LEAF in the cheapness wars.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

BMW i3

As my wife currently drives a LEAF and the local BMW dealer had a lot (dozen?) i3s in stock, I thought I'd check it out this morning. In a twist, I brought the wife, kid, and car seat along since size was a concern.

Pros:

- 95% of concept car styling made the jump to production
- very solid feeling construction with exposed carbon in places, nice clunk from doors
- great sight lines from interior, with crazy low cowl height thanks to rear engine layout, big glass, and beautiful minimalist interior, at least for front seat passengers
- brisk low speed acceleration and very strong default regeneration for "one pedal driving", with the crazy narrow tires a non-issue for street driving
- already marked $4k off msrp as a starting point, and eligible for $7.5k Federal and $6k CO state tax non-refundable credits
- REx range extender option to eliminate range anxiety, for a price
Cons:

- small, with even short-legged me having to have the driver's seat more forward than I'd like to fit my daughter's rear facing car seat behind me
- smallness carries over to rear cargo area, with high floor due to rear engine layout even in non-REx models
- suicide doors make for very awkward rear seat ingress for kids in rear facing seats, and the room back there is not great even for forward facing adults, albeit probably passable for more normally proportioned humans
- expensive, exacerbated by BMW's tendency to nickel and dime for everything: test model didn't have a backup camera, for instance, on a $47k (!) msrp vehicle (pre-discount, pre-tax credits)
I'm glad that I drove it, as I'd wonder about it otherwise, but with its small size and high price it's not worth it to me as compared to the LEAF, which is actually a smoking deal after tax credits in states like mine. It's pretty and it has a huge windshield, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
[...] musing about replacing the Land Cruiser post-winter with a minivan... I'd drive the LEAF until it's lease is up, then would downsize a bit

Takeaway points: [...] there's not a ton of money to be saved by me going from my Land Cruiser to anything short of a true liability-only beater.
An update to my latest ill-fated plan: wife may have nuked the idea by getting stereotypical anti-minivan cold feet. "I don't know if I'm ready to have a minivan yet", says she.

If she doesn't end up in a minivan then I will keep my Land Cruiser for its 3 row beast of burden side, not to mention that it could be useful in the winter even down here on the flatlands.

This bring me to the other take home point from the above: even the LEAF's TCO >> fuel costs for the Land Cruiser. That plus 2 car currently and 2.5 car max future garage nixes any potential extra car ideas... back to square one: used RXh for her? Used or new RAV4 EV?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

How can you say no to that face?

Oh. I guess this answers that question.

My sister's baby is pretty cute, too, I suppose

Her older kid doesn't stay still long enough for me to lock focus.

Happy wife

Hippie dad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
back to square one: used RXh for her? Used or new RAV4 EV?
With regard to the perennial RAV4 EV thought:

1) production has officially ended, and all new ones will probably be sold by calendar year's end

2) at least one owner in Denver (!) has had an out of state major failure, of the ECU, and got it fixed under warranty without shipping the thing to California:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=366&start=120

3) used ones are starting to pop up on Autotrader, which makes sense as the first leases are coming due

I have a feeling my wife would hate the barn door rear door in reality, but would love how it drives. Much can change between now and July 2015, but perhaps this is indeed the best option if she is still anti-minivan.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If she doesn't end up in a minivan then I will keep my Land Cruiser for its 3 row beast of burden side, not to mention that it could be useful in the winter even down here on the flatlands.
I'm currently in Telluride, halfway through a solo marathon see-the-state-through-car-window whirlwind tour designed to fit in this weekend when I'm sans wife and kid.

I did do some off roading, too, completing the first stretch of the Alpine Loop as an out and back trail, and pushed the Land Cruiser to its limits, as evidenced by a new small crunch in one running board. The vehicle has handled everything from 25 degree weather (on the way to Independence Pass in the dead of the night) to rain to taking curves at well over their posted speed limit without a shudder.

The feeling of excess (cost and size of vehicle) still bugs me. Old habits die hard, and to my conscience's credit, I do still have a hefty chunk of debt owed to various lenders. On the other hand, if I'm ever going to make to the level of self-indulgence required to daily drive a Tesla P85D without a thought then living with the Land Cruiser will be practice of sorts.

I don't think I'll do too many more true bouncing through the rocks type trails. Jessica would have been terrified on this one, and Mariko went from saying "more bumps" to "no bumps" the only time I took her on a real trail. Instead I think I'll stick to stuff that, say, a Subaru Outback could do: gravel roads and snow-over-paved-roads-and-ski-lots. This is kind of a waste in a sense, but it does have a good drivetrain (A-TRAC was working hard today at times) and it is a useful, well padded box shape inside...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I suppose when it comes down to it, my qualm with the Land Cruiser being underutilized is quite petty in the grand scheme. The greater issue is my wife not liking to drive it, but then again if it's my overkill commute and mountain pass climbing vehicle then that's not such a big deal, at least when our garage gets physically embiggened.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
More thoughts on the Land Cruiser and Colorado, having spent some more quality time with both today:

It threw a CEL this morning after running smoothly until shutting it down last night, and that actually distressed me a fair bit having gone through a CEL/O2 sensor replacement cycle a few months ago in Seattle. It seemed to drive ok, so I pushed on until I could find an open auto parts store, in the strip mall bonanza of Montrose.

Thankfully, the code that came up was just a P0458, with a note that the leak was very small (! didn't know they were graded/annotated thusly), and tightening up the gas cap another click and clearing the code did the trick. I think the low ambient pressure caused by spending the night at Telluride's 8,750 feet plus a lazy cap application the prior fillup (which was some hundreds of miles prior) was what caused it.

In the context of the vast landscape of Colorado the Land Cruiser actually doesn't seem outlandishly large. There sure are a whole lot of pickups (domestics and Tacomas dominate), Jeeps, and FJ Cruisers, of all things, out on the back roads of the state. It handled and accelerated well enough for me to pass anyone I wanted to pass on the sundry passes, and even got reasonable gas mileage! First tank from Denver to Aspen was just over 15 mpg thanks to Independence Pass, but the other two tanks were 17.x and 18.5 mpg! Not bad for a 12/15 MPG officially rated beast.

After mulling it over during the boring stretches--and there are many boring stretches between the breathtaking moments, even when sticking to designated Scenic Byways and the like--I decided there probably isn't another vehicle out there at the moment that would tickle my multiple neuroses any better (namely visibility, 4wd system capability, quietness, and lack of ostentation). I think I'll stick with it, but will try to use it...

Said use, as suggested in my posts above from the road, probably won't be much in the way of true rock crawling as I did on the Alpine Loop spur. Instead I'm going to make an effort to get out into the hills for day hikes with Jessica and Mariko as often as I can. Mountain biking just doesn't do it for me these days, plus is a solo effort in my family as Jessica is not a rider and Mariko is still too young. Skiing has the same problems, except that Jessica does ski, timidly, although the whole kid #2 thing screws up her plans.

Hiking it shall be, with the hiking really just an excuse to get up in the mountains. I like my confined stretch of Denver and Aurora that connects my home and hospital, but there's so much more to be seen and to do here...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) Small possibility we may buy (for a good but fair price) my mother in law's dented 2004 Lexus RX 330, as she's upgrading and my wife's other siblings, who have far greater financial need than we do, somehow don't want it?

2) Tesla's Superchargers are some serious hardware. I saw a post about 135 kW Superchargers being rolled out, and found some interesting shots:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29009-1st-135kW-supercharger-FOUND-in-U-S-(NJ)

'dem busbars.... :cool:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today I learned:

1) my interest in my own Land Cruiser has been re-piqued following my whirlwind road trip, which is significant to me as said interest had clearly waned in the preceding months

2) this rekindled interest was evidenced by my looking up snow tire sizing during thankfully ample downtime at work today (and yes, I'd done this before but with a Series 200 and one set of do it all tires/wheels in mind. I still like the idea of Tundra steelies + reasonably skinny Nokians, for the record)

3) related: TPMS, which is the bane of those with modern cars who switch to winter tires/wheels, is actually not an issue on my Land Cruiser, as it has a glovebox-mounted switch and memory capacity for two complete sets of TPMS sensors! Nicely done, spare-no-cost Toyota engineers, even though I'm still envious of the auxiliary ceramic cabin heater that Series 200s sport for extreme cold weather

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I'd trick that LC out as a lux trail rig.
small lift, FU bumpers etc.

It'd be perfect for getting the family to the backcountry and given your short commute not really impact DD use.