Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I decided my Camelbak Fourteener wasn't ugly enough visible enough, so I went to town with some of the leftover tape from my top case decoration exercise:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The electric bike I'd built up in Seattle was/is a much nicer commuter overall than my 29er, I must say. I miss full fenders when it's wet out, a sturdy rack + panniers for carrying my gear to work vs. my current back-sweat-inducing Camelbak pack, and, of course, the electric thrust.

(Safer yet would be traveling with traffic on the motorcycle or in the car, of course, but my cholesterol isn't going to come down on its own...)
Is it possible to make the 29er a bit more commuter friendly? Fenders, rack, road tires and you'll be zipping up around 15+ mph... and faster before you know it!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No eyelets for a rack. I could do the fenders and tires, but then I'd compromise it for spinning around the trails on the weekends.

I was already planning on retrieving the electric bike from Wyoming when I move to Seattle in a year (slightly less than a year now! woohoo), so this would just be pushing plans forward a bit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had a most excellent day, filled to the brim with cars.

Not only was there a successful BRZ helmet test-fitting session this morning, but my wife and I test drove multiple Nissans at the NEXT Innovation Center Tour event at the NJ State Fair. This included the Nissan Leaf, too: the third time attempt at test-driving one was indeed the charm!

The gist of the BRZ test-sitting is that my long torso and gigantic head + matching XL full-face helmet fit in the car in a proper autocross-friendly driving position. Finding this out made my day right then and there.

I admit that I've posted many a time about my once-and-present lust for 300ZXs, but a perusal of Autotrader revealed the unpleasant truth that the remaining Z32s are either trashed or ridiculously overpriced. Given both this and that there are a solid 20 years of engineering and safety advances between the Z32 and current designs, I think I must concede that if I want something just for fun/auto-x/HPDE events in the future it should be something modern, something like the BRZ/FR-S duo.

Although the Z32 lost its place in my plans today, not all Nissans suffered the same fate. Indeed, there were quite a few Nissans that were surprisingly good and several that could potentially have a future place in our garage.

First, the Leaf. We'd ridden in it before, of course, at the NYIAS, but had never driven it.

Driving it turned out to be a bit anticlimactic, honestly, as the driving impressions from various outlets' reviews combined with our own experience as passengers in it before pretty much summed it up: It's very quiet, very smooth, has good low-end kick thanks to the innate characteristics of electric drive, has low-rolling-resistance/easily-provoked-to-squealing tires, and feels planted and surefooted in general, possibly secondary to the low CoG created by the battery's low-slung bulk. Driving position is akin to that in our '06 Prius, which is to say that it's a bit more elevated than a typical "small car", outward visibility was excellent, and the interior had a great, light, airy feel to it.

All in all the Leaf's quite an attractive package, and one that'd be atop our list for our next car had my wife not taken a liking to the larger (especially of back seat) Toyota RAV4 EV. It may yet find a place in our home as a commuter car for me farther down the road even if my wife spurns it for the spawn of Tesla and Toyota.

The Juke was a car that my wife expected to loathe due to general oddness and poor anticipated outward visibility. On the other hand, I expected it to be entertaining based on its tiny size, boosted engine, light weight, and purported motorcycle influence. It turned out that both of us ended up concluding that the Juke was a riot, even with a CVT slingshotting away.

The little turbo-4 pulled well, the suspension felt planted, the limits higher than even I would dare to find on a test drive, and the visibility wasn't even all that bad. It'd be hard to envision a scenario when a vehicle with the size and packaging of the Juke would actually make sense, but if we did want a sporty, minuscule 5-door SUV-type thing with a useless back seat, basically no off-road ability, and torque-vectoring AWD then the Juke would be our choice.

The other three Nissans that I drove were the new Altima, Murano CrossCabriolet, and Quest. I'll lump them together since they all share the same 3.5L V6 + CVT powertrain, and their driving dynamics fall on the same spectrum, with the Altima the lightest in both feel and curb weight and the Quest the most ponderous. Although the actual layout of each vehicle's interior differs in accordance with their missions and floor plans, the overall interior impression was similarly positive for each. The new Altima's all-black interior, in particular, was quite classy even in the mid-trim SV model without leather or all the fancy optional bits.

I have no desire for a gasoline-engined standard midsize family car, but surely the many buyers that do would be well considered to include the new Altima on their shopping lists. (On that note, what purpose does the Maxima serve in the Nissan lineup? I can't fathom why someone would buy one over a 3.5L Altima…) I have even less idea why someone would want a 2-door 4-seat convertible SUV like the Murano CrossCabriolet (and the market agrees with me!), but if someone wants such a monstrosity and doesn't fancy a Wrangler then it'd be better than nothing, I suppose.

Finally, the Quest felt big but manageable, with good visibility despite a visually high belt line, excellent interior room thanks to its boxy Japanese-van lines, and acceptable if somewhat dull response from the powertrain. Due to its near-silent operation, quirkiness, and interior poshness compared to the rest of its minivan class, we've decided that we'll spring for it if we end up having 3 kids somewhere down the road and should the e-NV200 not come to fruition/commercial US availability. (With 2 kids or less we'll hold out and only drive two- or one-row vehicles.)

I suppose in a sense it speaks well for Nissan that three disparate products above seem perceptually to represent different points along the same spectrum due to their shared powertrains and styling cues. I think it's more significant to note that the two Nissans that we liked the most, the Leaf and the Juke, are those that depart the most from this corporate template.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My latest creation:

I think I'll start a thread just for it in The Lounge. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is it possible to make the 29er a bit more commuter friendly? Fenders, rack, road tires and you'll be zipping up around 15+ mph... and faster before you know it!
No eyelets for a rack. I could do the fenders and tires, but then I'd compromise it for spinning around the trails on the weekends.
I bit the bullet a week or two ago when some WTB 700c x 32 tires came up for something like $15 per tire on steepandcheap. They arrived today… and my 29er mtb-sized tubes are way too big and floppy. Gah. I pinched one trying to stuff it in the tire + lever the tire on the rim and gave up, running to amazon to buy some properly sized tubes.

32 mm sounds wide from a road perspective but looks absolutely tiny. Running with those at 80 psi will give me a few mph, surely.

Here's how they look on an actual bike, not mine/via GIS:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The tires indeed have given me a few mph. Now average speed is more like 14 mph rather than 12. To get that extra boost, though, I'll be getting the e-bike back. Yes, I was already planning on this, but my parents are leaving Wyoming sooner than they thought, so in the process of packing up their house and selling it off they'll send the bike to me here in NY.

In completely unrelated news, my parents dug up a video of me and another high school classmate performing a double concerto back in 1999:

Video equipment has come a long way since then, eh?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On linear algebra, fictional TV characters, the price of guilt, old blog posts, and shifting priorities

As my wife was drifting off to sleep last night I mentioned that I think that the topic of personal transportation choices has remained interesting to me over many years because it's like math. She mumbled back in reply, "You're not Charlie," as in Charlie Eppes, the genius mathematician character from the TV show Numb3rs who sees the world in equations.

Well, in this case she was wrong about my motivations in uttering such a thing, as I'd posted about the link regarding math and cars back in 2009, far before having heard heads or tails of Numb3rs or its characters. NB: I've thought about photographic exposure in similar terms for many years going even further back, I'm not quoting the post in full, and the "safety" line item was a late addition in response to quadari's suggestion:

http://tinyurl.com/bwqe83b said:
buying a new vehicle is like balancing a multivariate equation:

- irrational lust/testosterone/estrogen
- price
- safety
- mpg/CO2 emissions
- smog-forming emissions
- styling
- comfort
- driving dynamics
- size, both inside and out
- drivetrain layout
- company reputation and philosophy
- dealer locations and reputation
- warranty
- expected reliability
- xenophobia/jingoism/national pride
- advertising budget

any "analysis" that attempts to boil down choice of car to just one of these items is oversimplified, and even my attempt at it probably misses some big factors.
Although I've since learned to capitalize since then, har har, I still feel that what I wrote rings true. The thing about viewing car choice as a multivariate equation is that each individual's coefficients for all of the above, if you will, are unique, and they furthermore can vary in time. In less obtuse terms this is something that almost all young men have experienced in this whole "growing up" deal that I hear about: Think of fading desires for sports cars and flash as most people move from adolescence to adulthood.

The other implication is that there are as many "optimal" solutions as there are combinations of coefficients, which explains my "car [plan] emo-ness." Change one's priorities and the proper car that one should have (or set of cars, if near-equivalent or ambigious) changes as well. The only difference between me and "normal people," in this context, is that I tend to distill my thoughts down to actual proposed vehicles when I have a change of mind, and write posts about them.

Anyway, a few of these factors have been percolating in my mind lately: the price of environmental guilt, safety as it relates to vehicle mass, and drivetrain characteristics. I've ruminated about each of these topics individually but hadn't done so recently, in the era of modern, available electric cars. (At this point I'd direct the truly bored or dedicated reader to my earlier posts on the futility of the Prius and on vehicle safety.)

I think it's pretty clear that even following my realization of the futility of the Prius (and the corresponding "green lifestyle" that's associated with it) I still place a high price on my environmental guilt. It's not an infinite price, however, and in pricing out Tesla Model Ss I realized that it's actually quantifiable: Somehow it seems reasonable to me to pay $42k post-tax credit for an electric Toyota RAV4 but it seems unreasonable to pay $65k post-tax credit for a Model S optioned out as I'd have it. (It seems even more unreasonable to me to scrimp on the details of such a big purchase given that even the RAV4 EV-equivalent spec still carries a $11k price differential.)

So my guilt-o'-meter (or general cheap-o'-meter) says no to $65k electric sedans, no matter how otherwise perfect for me they seem on paper.

This apparent perfection of the Model S is a good segue into the other two factors, safety/mass and drivetrain refinement: With my semi-serious flirtations with 3-ton SUVs and my prior writings about vehicle safety (including quality time spent with the IIHS traffic fatality broken down by vehicle data) I clearly know intellectually that the safest place for one's backside is in a heavy, solidly constructed coccoon lined with airbags that maintains reasonable agility for accident avoidance in the first place.

The problem was that my mental weighting of my environmental guilt was previously too high to allow me anything heavier and more wasteful, as it were, than our <3000 lb. Prius. Enter the Model S: At 4650 lbs. and decked out with all the airbags one could imagine it'd be supremely safe in comparison to our bantamweight Prius, while also offering the extra benefits of guilt-free motoring (when "fueled" by clean Seattle hydro and wind power) and smoothness.

So at last, this brings me to my point, for whatever that's worth: Take away the need for environmental conscience-assuaging; keep the requirements for a supremely smooth drivetrain (so V8s, please!), high mass, agility, and a usable rear seat (make that large, V8 sedans), and advanced safety features (make that large, V8 luxury sedans then); riff off of similar old ideas (see my old Taurus post and then note that I liked the Taurus because it was on the Volvo S80 platform&#8230;); then mix in sufficient cheapness such that the vehicle's total cost of ownership inclusive of fuel significantly mentally undercuts something like, say, a Nissan Leaf, and you get the following short list:

1. 2003-2004 Infiniti M45. 3851 lbs. Roughly $8k used on the low end.

2. 2004-2006 Lexus LS 430. 3990 lbs. $15k used.

3. 2007-2010 Volvo S80 V8. 4142 lbs. $18k used.

Cliffs Notes: The Tesla Model S is perfect except that its cost doesn't sit well in my over-thinking brain. Enter cheap simulacrae-of-sorts that are smooth, heavy, and safe but just not green.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I clearly know intellectually that the safest place for one's backside is in a heavy, solidly constructed coccoon lined with airbags that maintains reasonable agility for accident avoidance in the first place.
The logical followup question to this would be "Why do you commute to work on a motorcycle and a bicycle given that you know this?" Well, one part of this is easy to answer: I'm selling my motorcycle before I leave New York. The reasoning for this is multifactorial as well (cue rimshot) but includes a) not loving riding in and of itself any more, b) vibration-heavy twin design, c) no real purpose for it in my life in Seattle next year, and d) my wife is pregnant and I'm doing a bit of growing up on my own, too.

The face of Thing 1, which is about 12.5 weeks along as of this posting.

The other part, of bicycle commuting, is something I'm still mulling over. On a population basis I'm convinced by the evidence that the health benefits of cycling outweigh the risk of bodily harm. On an individual basis, on my basis, I'm not so sure. Certainly I don't feel that's true here in Long Island: The reasons I bike to work here are because of my hospital's horrid parking situation and our financial constraints. In more biking-aware Seattle the safety vs. risk equation well be different (although parking will still be a factor--$15/day!), and in any case I'll have the option of taking the bus should I not be keen on the 12 mile-each-way bike commute.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Amusingly, I have converted my wife into a full fledged car person over the years. (She takes issue with this claim.) Over lunch we just debated the above car-choice topic for a solid 20 minutes. She's of the opinion that half measures (such as the three older best-compromise options above) aren't worth doing, and that I should just wait a bit longer and get something that I could potentially live with for the long(er) term. Hell, I guess that philosophy has worked so far in choosing to marry her :D

Anyway, this is amusing not only because I've converted my wife from her former attitude wherein she didn't know about or care about cars in the slightest, but also because it brings me back to square one post-futility of the Prius realization. Yes, that means the 3-ton SUV (LX) and the current gen LS are back on the list.

I'll have a hell of a time test driving all of these in 2014... Anyone following me from dealer to dealer will think I'm schizophrenic. &#65279;

For Fool: I think Lexus is more socially acceptable in Seattle, as it were. It doesn't have the same "I work in finance" connotations as out here. I wouldn't necessarily come off like your NJ co-worker, I hope...

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The tires indeed have given me a few mph. Now average speed is more like 14 mph rather than 12. To get that extra boost, though, I'll be getting the e-bike back. Yes, I was already planning on this, but my parents are leaving Wyoming sooner than they thought, so in the process of packing up their house and selling it off they'll send the bike to me here in NY.
So they had the bike and one of the batteries packed up and shipped yesterday. Just one? Yes: UPS won't ship the big lithium pack, period. Gah. Instead I'll make do with the smaller, more recently acquired NiMH pack until I can meet up with the parents on the west coast and make a car to car transfer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ramp Travel Index Geekery

The absence of RTI [1] values in reviews of ostensibly "off road capable" SUVs accurately reflects their predominant mode of usage: On-road, suburban, far from any rocks excepting those employed in a decorative fashion in the median of a tony boulevard or driveway.

I don't think this is right.

I think that one shouldn't just buy the appearance and fuel economy of an off-roader, as that'd be pointless. One should instead get something with substance beneath the veneer of toughness, and that's where RTI values come in: Anyone or any marque can claim that their vehicles are, say "Trail Rated," but the objective RTI figure reveals their lies clear as day. Thankfully, the editors of both Four Wheeler magazine and a few staffers at the Inside Line blog agree with me, and as a result there exist data regarding late model SUVs' RTIs that one can find on the web with just a little bit of legwork.[2-9]

First up are Inside Line's figures, noting that higher is better in this test:

908 - 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2-door, front swaybar detached, 33" tires, 3" lift
647 - 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser with KDSS
561 - 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2-door, stock with front swaybar attached
538 - 2011 Lexus GX 460 with KDSS

Four Wheeler's figures are next. Note that ones that should be the same (e.g. 2010 Land Cruiser vs. 2008 Land Cruiser) aren't, in turn signalling that something is awry just as I found to be the case with interior noise measurements over the past few days. Because of this discrepancy I'm not pooling the two publications' figures, even though they should be decent internal references, at least.

582 - 2010 Ford SVT Raptor
579 - 2010 Dodge Power Wagon, presumably with its front swaybar electronically disconnected
542 - 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser with KDSS
538 - 2009 Lexus LX 570 with Adaptive Variable Suspension
491 - 2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition with KDSS
486 - 2009 Nissan XTerra PRO-4X
472 - 2008 Hummer H2
435 - 2011 Lexus GX 460 with KDSS
422 - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
400 - 2009 Toyota Sequoia
302 - 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension at standard height
265 - 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension raised to full height

Ok, so there are a bunch of numbers. Great. What's the purpose of this post, besides preserving them in one place for posterity and the great Google Index in the sky? Well, I think that one can draw some conclusions from this hot mess:

1) Jeep's current Grand Cherokee has awful articulation, and raising its air suspension to max height makes it even worse. While perhaps a bit counterintuitive, this actually makes perfect sense: To get good RTI scores a vehicle needs to relax its suspension's roll stiffness, so as to get full droop at one wheel and full compression at the opposite corner. Jacking up the pressure at all four corners, as is presumably done to raise the ride height on the Jeep, will severely impair upward wheel travel.

2) You get what you pay for in the Toyota lineup: There's a reason the bigger Sequoia is cheaper than its Land Cruiser stablemate. On the other hand, if you couldn't care less about RTI then there's no reason you shouldn't buy a Sequoia, if that's you're thing. It's also interesting to me that the 4Runner Trail Edition and the XTerra PRO-4X line up so closely--their product teams must have been using the other as a benchmark throughout development.

3) The Lexus LX 570 is actually on par with the Land Cruiser in RTI. While not surprising in the sense that both are based off of the same platform, it is surprising since their suspensions differ so greatly. While the Land Cruiser, like the 4Runner Trail Edition, has Toyota's Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System ([6]--think "automatic hydraulic swaybar disconnects" and you'd be close), the LX has a completely different air suspension setup called Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Active Height Control (X-AHC) [11]. I was a bit curious as to whether it'd hamper the Lexus's performance as the case with the current-gen Grand Cherokee's setup, but this proved not to be the case. Go Lexus.

Actually, I think I can take it a step further yet and state straight-faced that the LX may well be a better off-roader (on paper) than its Land Cruiser cousin. How? Well, first off, let's ignore that both have huge, fragile plastic bumpers and are big and expensive enough such that most will never see a trailhead, as those factors are constant between the two of them. (Aftermarket bumpers are available for the LC, as seen earlier in this very thread, though, while the LX aftermarket is a barren place.) RTI is equivalent as per Four Wheeler's figures. Static ground clearance is equal as well, at 8.9", as are approach and departure angles.

What's the difference, then? Well, that X-AHC trickery seems to let the LX raise itself up on stilts whereas the Land Cruiser is stuck at 8.9". Behold: "once the 4WD shifts into low range [X-AHC raises] the vehicle 2.0 inches in front and 2.4 inches in the rear". But wait--there's more! "When Crawl Control [1] is enabled, the LX can be raised an additional three inches to prevent bottoming out in extremely rocky conditions."

Wait a minute.

If I'm reading this right and the English isn't improperly translated (a big assumption in and of itself) then max ground clearance is 13.9"! Even if "additional" is misused, that still implies 11.9". Sure, its articulation in that tippy tall setup would be horrific--Grand Cherokee-like, if you will--but that'd be a nice tool to get a high-centered vehicle free.

Ok, enough blathering from me. Enjoy the rare pictures of SUVs on 20 degree ramps, at least, from Inside Line's writeups linked below.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_travel_index
[2] http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0802_2008_four_wheeler_of_the_year/viewall.html
[3] http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0902_2009_four_wheeler_of_the_year_4x4_suv_test/viewall.html
[4] http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_1004_2010_four_wheeler_of_the_year_toyota_4runner/viewall.html
[5] http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_1104_2011_four_wheeler_of_the_year/viewall.html
[6] http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/01/ramp-travel-index-2010-toyota-land-cruiser-with-kdss.html#more
[7] http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/01/ramp-travel-index-2011-lexus-gx-460-with-kdss.html
[8] http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/02/2012-jeep-wrangler-rti-ramp-trips-4-and-5-mopar-stage-iii-suspension-with-stab-on-stab-off.html
[9] http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_1003_2010_pickup_truck_of_the_year/viewall.html
[10] http://www.lexus.com/models/LX/features/performance/adaptive_variable_suspension_avs_with_active_height_control_xahc.html

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So they had the bike and one of the batteries packed up and shipped yesterday. Just one? Yes: UPS won't ship the big lithium pack, period. Gah. Instead I'll make do with the smaller, more recently acquired NiMH pack until I can meet up with the parents on the west coast and make a car to car transfer.
Well, the e-bike arrived today, along with battery #2&#8230; and it turns out that battery #2 was/is lithium (as is the un-shippable battery #1) all along! Whoops. I didn't realize this to be the case. It's almost as capacious as battery #2, as well, weighing in at 48 V and 10 Ah vs the 48 V 12 Ah original.

The really good news is that things seem to work: after about two hours wrenching, swapping parts, routing cables, putting things together, etc. I got the Cycle-analyst to fire up and the wheel to spin under throttle. (It even spins up from a dead stop, which the old, post-rain damage sensorless controller and damaged Hall sensors couldn't do--had to be moving first.) Of course, the "speedo" via the CA is way off, probably because the new hub motor has more poles than the last, but it's a very positive start of things.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It lives! Stats from maiden voyage:

- 8.2 miles, 4.6 Ah, equating to 27.8 Wh/mi, or 1,212 MPGe if that is more meaningful to you
- max speed without pedaling, wide open throttle around 27 mph on flat ground
- with me pedaling along on top of WOT I could get it up to 30 mph
- comfortable cruising speed was more in the range of 23-25 mph while pedaling along, throttle part of the way open
- max indicated power from the battery to the controller (so less at the wheel due to motor inefficiency) was about 1600W at 27 mph
- max regen coming down from 25 mph was around 550W, decreasing as speed decreases, with overall 6% of power input regened on my errand run today

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have actually offroaded all 3. the land cruiser, a lexus lx and a lc prado. (all with kdss), as part of my "job". :D

i liked the land cruiser better. its fairly straightforward. crawl control is amazing. i roller over boulders covered in coarse sand, and slip was minimal. pretty amazing.

the lexus is a fairly close second.

first thing i didnt like, was the price. as expensive as the LC is, you kinda forget about it after a few minutes, since the car does not feel "expensive" once you are driving. the lexus, does feel very expensive, and maybe that made me uncomfortable when driving it over boulders, or descending a steep hill.
another thing i didnt like was the shear amount of buttons and controls. maybe its just i´m not as tech-savvy as the new generation; but i found the layout a bit confusing. given the amount of combinations, you are pretty much guaranteed to be in a sub-optimal setup at most points.

the nissan patrol is also a very strong contender. although the new version has independant front suspension. the older patrol was pretty badass.

the undisputed king of them all, imo, is this one. costs a bit less than a 4runner.
live axles, virtually indestructable.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The LX had KDSS, not the air suspension (AVS with AHC)? Then it should have been the same as a LC only with fancier leather&#8230;? In US spec the LX has air suspension with height adjustability. Crawl control is stock on both the LC and LX. Tires are easily swappable. :D

Regarding button count:

LC

LX (awful color combination)

The LC has that twist knob oddly below the start/stop button, plus another twist knob to the right of the shifter. The LX has four toggle switches in back of the shifter instead. I call that a draw given that there needs to be a way to adjust ride height, etc.

Regarding the QX56, I'm down with its Patrol heritage. I loved the look of the old Patrol Safaris in New Zealand--they were everywhere! The QX56 is a pavement queen, though, with IRS at both axles these days, actually. Four Wheeler put it on their RTI ramp and it got all of a 338, with no skid plating to make things even worse: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_1202_2012_four_wheeler_of_the_year/

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The LX had KDSS, not the air suspension (AVS with AHC)? Then it should have been the same as a LC only with fancier leather&#8230;? In US spec the LX has air suspension with height adjustability. Crawl control is stock on both the LC and LX. Tires are easily swappable. :D

Regarding button count:

LC

LX (awful color combination)

The LC has that twist knob oddly below the start/stop button, plus another twist knob to the right of the shifter. The LX has four toggle switches in back of the shifter instead. I call that a draw given that there needs to be a way to adjust ride height, etc.

Regarding the QX56, I'm down with its Patrol heritage. I loved the look of the old Patrol Safaris in New Zealand--they were everywhere! The QX56 is a pavement queen, though, with IRS at both axles these days, actually. Four Wheeler put it on their RTI ramp and it got all of a 338, with no skid plating to make things even worse: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_1202_2012_four_wheeler_of_the_year/
odd.
our peru-spec land cruiser does not have a lcd screen. its actually a pretty simple interior, rubber mats, cloth seats. its even simpler than a 4runner. it does not feel $80k expensive.

the lexus does feel $100k+ expensive.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Ah, so you probably get Aussie trims: GX, VX +/- L, etc. We get one (loaded) LC trim, one (super loaded) LX trim.

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-200/specifications/gx-turbo-diesel?WT.ac=VH_LC200_RangeSpecs_GXL_Specs

Furthermore we only get the 5.7L petrol V8 in the LC and LX alike. No 4.6 option. No diesel option. Nothing else: 5.7 + 6-speed auto.
yup, we pretty much get some of the aussie trims.

the lc is only sold in one trim. bare minumum, steel wheels, plastic steering wheel, cloth seats and all. the drug warlord special. $80k

the land cruiser prado (which outsells the LC by 30:1) is sold in GX (2.7L 4 banger, bare, like the LC) and VX (4L V6, with KDSS and crawl). one costs $40k, the other $60k.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
.the lc is only sold in one trim. bare minumum, steel wheels, plastic steering wheel, cloth seats and all. the drug warlord special. $80k
Speaking of drug lords, here's an armored US embassy LC200 involved in a Mexican shoot out today:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Speaking of drug lords, here's an armored US embassy LC200 involved in a Mexican shoot out today:

the american embassy was my client (back when i worked in passenger cars).

i got to ride and test their armored LCs.... doors were so heavy, it took both arms to push them open.
i had never seen cars with that level of armor before. the windshield was like 3 inches thick, crazy distortion at the sides.
they eat a set of brake pads every 4000 miles, and it takes like a whole block to brake from 40mph. they have to weight at least 5tons. nonetheless, i was very impressed; and even wondered "is all these really necessary?". now i know.

funny fact. once, they came it at the shop with a huge nick in a window, and a blown out key hole.
apparently, the driver let the car outside in a rough neighborhood, while doing some shopping... he came outside, and noticed somebody tried to break the window with a hammer to get in the car. yeah, trying to break into a DEA car. lol.

a fairly rich friend of my dad has an armored (although, not as hardcore as the DEA armor) prev-gen LC with a TRD supercharger, with tear gas buttons, fire extinguishers and kevlar undercarriage. pretty fun car to ride in. gets like 5mpg though.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
http://www.inkasarmored.com/vehicles/suvs/armored-lexus-lx570/

Check out those windows. Some other companies in a quick googling replace window openings with smaller armored truck type orifices.
i have noticed LC200 have 3 kinds of buyers in this side of the world.

- the wealthy offroader. 40 something guy, dressed in arcteryx/marmot, who buys the car, and pimps it to the sky with bull bumpers, roll cage, fat tires, fancy suspension... and proceeds to spend the next 3 years destroying it in the dunes/andes/rain forest. a smaller subset from this, is the poser middle age rich family guy, who pimps the car, but it never sees dirt.

- the paranoid (or embassy worker). the safety concerned middle aged male, who happens to believe the world is after him. does not speak much, nor ask many questions or test rides. pays by check and proceeds to send somebody to pick up the car for him and have it drop by an armorer, where it spends its firsts 6 months of existance... they install b6 armor in 4 weeks, then spend 5 months chasing electrical gremlins and body panel gaps left from dissasembling the car. after buying the car, you never see him again.
he sends the car with the driver for service.

- the where-does-this-guy-gets-the-money? a young-ish 30something, who pays cash and does not ask for a tax-credit receipt (means he does not own a business where to write it off as a business expense). declares his address in an oddly middle-class neighborhood.
despite seeming like a dependant worker by default. it seems like this guy does not work at all, since he drops by at any time, in jeans and a t-shirt, usually with friends (matching euro hawk hairstyles and white sneakers), complemented with a solid gold watch. rides in several expensive cars/bikes. has no clue on how to operate anything besides an automatic transmission.
does not purchase insurance, and once he drives off with the car... the car is never seen again at the shop. god knows where he has his brand new $80k car serviced.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here the drivers are 99% soccer moms, 0.5% live-in au pairs for the kids, and 0.5% off roaders. :rofl:

TTAC had a story a few years back on a guy who scored a vehicle from a family with such an au pair from somewhere like Aspen. They sold it for cheap as the rear upholstery was all scratched up (from the hellions) while the front was pristine, and they were going to upgrade to the latest model year, iirc. I can't find the story for the life of me, though. Th guy never let on exactly how much of a deal he got.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Here the drivers are 99% soccer moms, 0.5% live-in au pairs for the kids, and 0.5% off roaders. :rofl:

TTAC had a story a few years back on a guy who scored a vehicle from a family with such an au pair from somewhere like Aspen. They sold it for cheap as the rear upholstery was all scratched up (from the hellions) while the front was pristine, and they were going to upgrade to the latest model year, iirc. I can't find the story for the life of me, though. Th guy never let on exactly how much of a deal he got.

my sister, who lives in venezuela and has 3 kids ages 8-2, happens to fit that stereotype. she has 4 suv´s in their garage. one of them a LC200 with less than 8k miles (never been out of tarmac). another (her car) is 2 years old grand cherokee with 3k miles. one day i was talking to her about which car she liked the most, and she said "the 4runner, because the jeep is VERY NOISY and not very fast at all, i think i have to take it the shop". later that afternoon, we went to pick up the girls from school, and i noticed she placed the AT lever in sequential mode (not D) and was driving at like 5000rpm in traffic. "see what am talking about, its very noisy, unlike the 4runner". she had, basically, not been out of 2nd gear in 3000 miles.

my wife, who is 29 years old, does not know how to drive a stick shift (and barely knows how to drive an at). she has never had a driver´s license .

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You're probably right but when I bought the bike (2010?) it didn't come with the original screen. Even that not-original Givi is gone: I, unwisely or not, tend to compulsively sell stuff once I get its replacement. Witness the sale of the Versys itself, for instance. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just ordered a 2" receiver Thule T2 rack, store pickup at REI so free shipping, and 20% off thanks to their Labor Day weekend sale.

2" receiver, you say? Don't you only have a Prius, a car for which only 1 1/4" hitches are available? I'm going to have a local shop weld up a 2" receiver hitch, just as narlus had done for his Civic years ago, iirc. I just called up a few shops and found one just now that's willing to take on the project.

:thumb:

Why bother with this 2" business? Three reasons: I prefer the 2" receiver model for a sturdier interface, only the 2" model can take the extra +2 bike attachment add-on (ignoring my prior experience shuttling with said 2+2 rack, causing it to bend eventually...) and I'm trying to future-proof my rack purchase for future vehicles that'll presumably come with 2" receivers stock. (cough, LX)

I also caved in and ordered the Giro Advantage 2 through REI:

eBay auctions for used ones were ending at $60-70 + $10-20 shipping, so even though the white/white color scheme (only one available in L through REI) is hideous, it's worth the extra $40 or so for the ability to return it gratis and locally, decidedly unavailable through eBay.

Why all this spending? Part of it is that it's outweighed by the proceeds of the still-in-progress selling-off of my motorcycle gear, and part of it is that such a rack setup that doesn't require front wheel removal will be crucial for future getting-around-town exploits involving me and the e-bike being picked up by my wife in the car. The e-bike's wheels are firmly bolted in place--no QRs here!--and there's the torque arm, the cabling, and the extra heaviness of the hub motor itself that all conspire to make taking off the wheel a task best avoided.

Here's the stuff still for sale, for the record:

Versys itself: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821889
SHAD SH46 topcase: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821653
Women's heated gear: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821665
Women's mesh textile jacket: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821655
Helmets x 2: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821654

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
An aero helmet? Do you actively pursue the dorkiest model of every item you buy? Cannot wait to hear the explanation behind this one.

I can honestly see you riding an electric bike with a steerer-tube extender, bar mounted wind-screen and aero helmet.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Heh. I don't like wind noise. My ears are very unaerodynamic, and even with earplugs there's a steady roar that goes away completely when I turn my head, so it's clearly something to do with airflow around them. I thought I'd give the aero helmet a try, what with REI's great return policy and all, to see if its super-aero shape with covered ears will be the magic bullet that lets me cruise along in near-silence.

It makes sense if you look at it in the context of my prior motorcycle/scooter purchases: that Shoei QWEST helmet reputed to be much quieter than others (it was a little bit quieter), that physicist-designed CalSci ginormous windscreen reputed to have smooth, laminar flow coming off it (meh, a little bit better), and the "thumbnail" mother of all windscreens on my old MP3.

The last was actually awesome in that it had a dead quiet, protected pocket of air behind it, but it was also totally unusable in misty or rainy conditions because of the lack of a windshield wiper and its extension over one's head, let alone one's line of sight: Once water droplets were in one's vision, there'd be no way to get them off or to see around the thing due to its size.

Yes, you're right in that the aero helmet is ridiculously stupid looking. Even I acknowledge that. :D That doesn't enter into my calculus, though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ear covers may help, not sure how much of a gap there is between the covers and your ears, it could make things worse. A cheaper and potentially more successful solution is just to wear a stretchy type headband that covers your ear-hole.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Apparently the ear bits are tight up against the face. My fat face may have issues with that :D but it lends a higher probability that it might work. Some of the (tri-based, of course) reviews of it said that it's quieter, too. Worst case I try it out for a day and return it to REI the next...

Via MMike:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No new info either on the car in question or my plans, but I figured I'd crosspost this here from Google+ since not everyone nearly no one :D follows my rampant posting there:

Reformatted from https://plus.google.com/u/0/115479414905422234350/posts/B54KuMoHckT

>>>>>

I find it interesting that the The New York Times released their RAV4 EV review today. (Actually, technically, it's dated tomorrow, part of the Sunday edition.) I hope that this implies that the actual release date is drawing very near! I await the real release date eagerly because with that will come an official list of the California dealers who will be selling it as well as a clearer picture of availability.

My wife and I hope to acquire one as closely approximated as possible to our upcoming move to Seattle in June, so for us the dealer and availability information is key. Buying one a bit before we move would be fine, even: We wouldn't have it shipped here to NY, of course: illegally partitioned rental house with awful, unresponsive landlord; expensive, unclean electricity; and the need to ship it again cross country imminently. Instead we'd have it shipped from California up to Seattle, to my mother in law's house, the house in which we will be living for the 2013-2014 academic year as I complete a fellowship, the final year off my interminable training.

She owns the house, has already approved us installing the requisite charger EVSE, and a hypothetical RAV4 EV could certainly sit in the driveway behind her house for a month or three idly tethered to the grid via just the ~1 kW level 1 110V cord and a standard outdoor power outlet. This would be solely in order to keep that big Tesla battery topped up/un-bricked before my wife and I arrived, of course, so 110V charging times would be entirely irrelevant unless my mother in law took it for an extended spin. Once we arrive, we would pay for and oversee the 9.6 kW level 2 EVSE installation, adopt some (or complete?) responsibility for the house's electric bill (along with signing up for the Green Up program that would zero out the electricity's carbon footprint), and only then would start driving it in earnest.

The potential fly in the ointment will be getting approved for a loan prior to moving. Once in Seattle we will have plenty of cash to spare for the loan (even an outsized one for a $50k-before-$7.5k-tax-credit car--recall again that we will be living essentially rent free with my mother in law) but here in NY we are rendered effectively poor by our tremendous rent and utilities obligations... I'll see if a compelling story told to a banker plus my Seattle contract in hand will get me in the door, but I have my doubts.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I went riding with Thad (Barbaton here on RM) today. No pics, though. I did achieve this through careful driving to/from the trails and Thad's place:

Yesterday: About 90% freeway, jaunt out east to buy pies and produce for BBQ today. AC, foglights, headlights, and stereo all on; and cruise set at an indicated 60 mph (in the right lane so I was not impeding anyone, widely disregarded 55 mph speed limit aside). The only non-standard thing about the setup was that I increased tire pressure last weekend from 36 to 42 psi. Not bad for a rated 45 highway mpg car, eh?

I can honestly see you riding an electric bike with a steerer-tube extender, bar mounted wind-screen and aero helmet.
I actually looked into handlebar fairings (and posted about them a few years back iirc) but dropped the idea after I couldn't find hard data on their efficacy. I fully believe full fairings and tail boxes for recumbents work, but in order to maintain King County Metro bus bike rack compatibility I can't have anything covering or blocking the front wheel, and can't have a 'bent.