Quantcast

time for a new downhill bike??? went to the lbs and.....

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
look what KTM can do, for less than half the price of a carbon v10 or session in my neck of the woods.
it even comes with a WP fork. and hell! its even priced around the same as a mid-spec downhill bike.

Then FFS bro, buy it! It's a motorcycle, not a DH bike. I could care less if it's $300. No bike, no care.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
look what KTM can do, for less than half the price of a carbon v10 or session in my neck of the woods.
it even comes with a WP fork. and hell! its even priced around the same as a mid-spec downhill bike.
Stay on topic!

Look at some prices for KTM bikes.
Surely, producing bicycles is childs play for them?

Scarp Prestige (€6,499) Shimano XTR groupset and brakes, Fox Float CTD shock, Fox 32 Float 29 FIT CTD RR 100mm, 15mm axle, DT Swiss X 1450 Spline wheelset.

Scarp Prime (€4,799) Shimano XT groupset and brakes, Fox Float CTD shock, Fox 32 Float 29 FIT CTD RR 100mm, 15mm axle, DT Swiss M1700 Spline wheelset.

Scarp Master (€3,899) Shimano XT groupset and brakes, Fox Float CTD shock, Fox 32 Float 29 CTD RR 100mm, 15mm axle, DT Swiss M1700 Spline wheelset.

Scarp Elite (€3,299) Shimano XT groupset and SLX brakes, Fox Float CTD shock, RockShox Reba 29 RL 100mm, DT Swiss X-470 wheelset.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
The sense of entitlement in this thread is embarrassing. The world does not owe you a cheap top of the line DH bike!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What if they make a carbon frame next year?

/thread
I love how you only adressed one of my points and decided the thread is done.

As for the company - their other carbon bikes are reasonably priced. Not to mention v10c is a silly example since it costs around the same as other alu frames. The example posted was the most ridiculous build you can have on a v10c. Of course it will be expensive.

btw. If you can't afford a space tech bike with giant lasers and a hidden drink cabinet don't buy it and stop complaining.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I got one. I don't know what you guys are up to. :D

And some people would rather have a V10c to ride for a couple years. What's your point?
My point is: why only buy a frame for that amount of money when you can get a whole bike and still have a few hundred bucks left!?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The sense of entitlement in this thread is embarrassing. The world does not owe you a cheap top of the line DH bike!
Certainly no worse than companies wanting more profit when they go from 25 years ago using cutting edge defense technology made in-house in California to today with mainstream technology outsourced to China.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
But I don't want to. It would be stupid.
Then don't buy it. Last time I checked complaining about prices didn't give you discounts.

Though if you really think companies have insane profit margins then they will drop their prices when the whole direct order shenanigans become more popular. Though that will not happen because it is plainly untrue.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Certainly no worse than companies wanting more profit when they go from 25 years ago using cutting edge defense technology made in-house in California to today with mainstream technology outsourced to China.
Vote with your wallet and STFU.
It is not entitlement when a company offers a product or service at a price they deem satisfactory to their goals. They owe you nothing. Don't want to pay, move on.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Vote with your wallet and STFU.
It is not entitlement when a company offers a product or service at a price they deem satisfactory to their goals. They owe you nothing. Don't want to pay, move on.
Forums aren't for STFU, if you enjoy ignorance don't participate.

Today's effective marketing strategies mean the mindless masses buy whatever overhyped BS the industry wants to sell - bikes, politicians, pollution, whatever. Anyone who has been in the sport long enough has seen these product cycles. Hell a lot of people buy bikes simply because rider X is on that brand...

Our only hope:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Today's effective marketing strategies mean the mindless masses buy whatever overhyped BS the industry wants to sell - bikes, politicians, pollution, whatever. Anyone who has been in the sport long enough has seen these product cycles. Hell a lot of people buy bikes simply because rider X is on that brand...

Our only hope:

So since Billy the whistler kid buys a new Aron Gwin bike every time he sees one the margins go up? More bikes sold = more margins? You sir must be a business major.

SCARY

Not long enough

I think 9 pages of this nonsense warrants a stern STFU.

...Especially since you can't seem to sell your obviously overpriced 2009 Turner 5 spot since.... April?
Market forces can suck sometimes and you seem to be satisfied with head bobbing.
Your overhead must be well taken care of and your bills covered well enough ,otherwise you would have dropped your price to what someone is willing to buy a 4 year old bike.

Maybe you can get gwin to take a picture with it right behind him and there you have your marketing plan and I'm sure you'd get closer to 4gs for it.

Or,you could just lower the price until someone buys it................BAAAHH!!....pfft....that won't work.

SCARY

Not long enough
How did that Comedian dude,with the mullet get all those people to come to his little show in (1986?)
Were they just walking by?They were at church and he just stormed the stage?They heard he was showing up at a comedy club through marketing and advertising?

BAAHH!....pfft...that never works!...thee irony would be too.....ironic.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
My point is: why only buy a frame for that amount of money when you can get a whole bike and still have a few hundred bucks left!?
It's the law of diminishing returns, I don't think anyone is foolish enough to think that spending twice as money on something will mean it is twice as good - however in general (and with exceptions), a more expensive product will offer some increase in performance / weight / strength - and just because you aren't willing to make the extra investment for the small gains, doesn't mean that other people aren't.

I don't own an expensive carbon frame, but I love seeing other people buying them because it drives the development of new products and technologies which benefits everyone in the future.

SCARY

Not long enough
The other side is that I just went to walmart and bought my son a whole full suspension bike cuz his was stolen today, with grip shift and reflectors that cost less than one of my pedals.

I'm gonna break it in on shuttles tomorrow.If I come back without a broken face,I'll take the opposite stance.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The other side is that I just went to walmart and bought my son a whole full suspension bike cuz his was stolen today, with grip shift and reflectors that cost less than one of my pedals.

I'm gonna break it in on shuttles tomorrow.If I come back without a broken face,I'll take the opposite stance.
... And you thought mx was dangerous :D

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
A couple of points, if I may...

#1. High end bicycles push limits.
Every component of a high end bicycle has been thoroughly refined to minimize weight and maximize effectiveness. Dirt bikes, on the other hand, require more strength, with weight being of far lesser concern. This makes everything on a dirt bike cheaper, and everything on a bicycle more expensive.

#2. Carbon V10 doesn't cost $10k
The frame costs $3300. Mid range setup is around $6300.

#3. M9 + Marzocchi EVO = $3000
Thats going to end up around $5000 with a real great setup.

#4. Low spec bikes = $2000-3000
That's complete, and these are the bikes comparable to off the shelf CRF450R.

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
While this discussion is interesting to a former business major like myself, and I definitely agree that mountain bikes/components are far too expensive, I've managed to minimize the impact it has on me. I tend to buy used, but even for new stuff, I scour PB, CL, eBay, etc... and avoid the temptation to bust out the plastic and charge up the latest frame or pretty bits. A bit of a tangent, but at the end of the day, the point is (as people have already beat to a pulp) that consumers allow this to happen. When people either can't or choose not to pay those prices, eventually most of these companies will be forced to streamline their processes or close their doors. Will that ever happen? Maybe not...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
While this discussion is interesting to a former business major like myself, and I definitely agree that mountain bikes/components are far too expensive, I've managed to minimize the impact it has on me. I tend to buy used, but even for new stuff, I scour PB, CL, eBay, etc... and avoid the temptation to bust out the plastic and charge up the latest frame or pretty bits.
High end DH parts aren't meant to be bought at retail. If you're paying retail for a 40 or a 888 or whatever, you're doing it wrong.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Buy from the same shop. At least 10%...usually more. I got my new Yeti 66C for quite a bit less than retail.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
2002 vs 2011

02 zulu dh frame: 2499
11 f5 frame: 2395

02 chupa cabra trail frame: 1699
11 evo trail frame: 1549

02 hadley 20mm hub: 149
11 hadley 20mm hub: 130

02 hadley 12mm rear hub: 280
11 hadley 12mm rear hub: 275

02 hayes dh brakes: 250
11 hayes ace dh brakes: 194

02 mrp wc chainguide: 100
11 mrp sb3 chainguide: 110

02 thomson seatpost: 80
11 thomson seatpost: 100

02 stratos s8 dh fork: $1195
11 rockshox boxxer rc: $905

00 manitou millenium carbon x-vert $1700
11 dorado $1799

01 shiver $999
11 888 $999

01 boxxer 151 $900
11 boxxer rc 905

04 boxxer wc ti spring $1195
11 boxxer team $1290

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
That list is useless and biased. For the price of a carbon demo you would have got a reasonable car ten years ago.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly i think it is quite useful and it shows rather well whats happening

the top end of the market has gone bonkers, and lower end has improved a lot.
it's never been so cheap to get into downhill.

just look at young talent bikes, canyon and more.
there is no need to shell out 10k for a bike just buy one for 3 :)

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
just look at young talent bikes, canyon and more.
there is no need to shell out 10k for a bike just buy one for 3 :)
That's how i feel about it. Just don't buy that crap and they will 1, either lower the price or 2, They will stop making these super ridiculous over hyped completes

and Canyon is a great example, look at the torque 9.0 - full fox, raceface sixc, dt swiss, XTR, formula.... all for ~4700usd

Last edited: