Quantcast

Thule 916-917xtr Hitch Rack causing wheel Bearing wear?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Anyone else experience or notice this issue, specifically with wearing out front wheel bearings? It seems that the combination of wheels having radial bearings and then a rack holding onto the wheel and having an oscillating moment applied to the bearings in a static position while I drive is eating through the bearings of my bikes.

Anyone have any ingenious ways of using this rack so it doesn't prematurely kill my front wheel bearings?

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Nope. Been using on of these since 2002. It is on my car 6 months a year. My trail bike is on it 4 days a week. Downhill bikes every other weekend. about 15000 miles a year with a bike on it.No wheel bearing problems on any of my bikes

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
I would be looking for anything other than the rack causing the bearing wear, after all teh rack cant apply anywhere near the force that you can while riding the bike, so how can it wear the bearings?
If it could wear them at all they wouldn't last 5 minutes* when riding!!:eek:

* Semi-edumacated guestimate based of years of metal munching**, broken helmets, and loads of prescription pain killers!:thumb:

** By which I mean I is actually an injuneer...well I was till my back blew up, hence the pain killers.:think: