Quantcast

This is what we'd like from The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm sure there are a few out there literally marketing themselves as shitty riders.
If by "shitty" you mean not exactly technically gifted? Plenty mtb youtubers do market their channels as mountainbiking from the perspective of the average/mediocre rider as I assume it gets them views from other average/mediocre riders. and let's face it. That's who makes up the the vast majority of mountainbiking. I don't think many make a full time living out of it. But if it pays their expenses or they get a few freebies and they genuinely enjoy filming and editting themselves fair play to them. Personally I find watching shite/mediocre riding pretty tiresome. Even more so having to listen to their every thought as they do so and suspect you do too.

Then there's the UK Youtube Legend Dave Jenvey. I'm not sure if he even thought about marketting... but this guy is both difficult to watch and at the same time the longer you do the more difficult it becomes to break away from rubber necking.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Why? He found a niche in the bike industry that makes him money. This path was/is open for anyone else as well, including all midpack racers.
I like how BK's popularity has grown with his LSDs. Good insight for the nerds but still entertaining.
I know, its the world we live in now, kids can make millions from playing video games, posting tik toks, and making bike videos for noobs. Kerr's channel is one of my favorites, especially his explanation of line choices on the track walks.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know, its the world we live in now, kids can make millions from playing video games, posting tik toks, and making bike videos for noobs.
You make it sound so simple.
Every kid has tiktok and video games but a miniscule amount make a successful living from it. In reality it's probably no easier than becoming a professional sports person, movie actor or TV personality.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
You make it sound so simple.
Every kid has tiktok and video games but a miniscule amount make a successful living from it. In reality it's probably no easier than becoming a professional sports person, movie actor or TV personality.
I stand corrected!
I though every single kid on tiktok made millions?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If by "shitty" you mean not exactly technically gifted? Plenty mtb youtubers do market their channels as mountainbiking from the perspective of the average/mediocre rider as I assume it gets them views from other average/mediocre riders. and let's face it. That's who makes up the the vast majority of mountainbiking. I don't think many make a full time living out of it. But if it pays their expenses or they get a few freebies and they genuinely enjoy filming and editting themselves fair play to them. Personally I find watching shite/mediocre riding pretty tiresome. Even more so having to listen to their every thought as they do so and suspect you do too.

Then there's the UK Youtube Legend Dave Jenvey. I'm not sure if he even thought about marketting... but this guy is both difficult to watch and at the same time the longer you do the more difficult it becomes to break away from rubber necking.

That reminds me of all the wheelie teachers.

There are great wheelie-ers on Youtube, but they are really bad teachers. Like if you are going to be operating under the guise of teaching mtb stuff, you have to be a decent teacher, which is more than just being entertaining.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Good points but yeah it can be understandable why some people why think it's cringe worthy seeing some of the youtubers making money - I don't watch them all but I'm sure there are a few out there literally marketing themselves as shitty riders.
That's literally why I watch BKXC to preview trails. He's at like my skill level, so he's not out here like "yooooo we're gonna rip it on this double black and hit this 30ft road gap that lands into a bolder field". My wife is terrified of Highland and Bolton Valley because of Skills with Phil's videos because his ability feels basically unattainable. Like he took 4th at the Burke EWS amateur's race against mostly people who are hoping to get noticed or qualify to be a pro as an "old" guy who doesn't climb, like wtf.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I remember one of my buddies asked if I could be a backup host for BXCK or whatever. I was like "uhh, I have no idea what you are talking about, but if I'm riding that day, whatever, sure". Still haven't watched any of it or really care too. I'll see if I can find the vid though that they did of this ride (also where I tried to cut my leg off at the end of July).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I came down the way they went up. I was one-leg at that water-fall.