Quantcast

%%ThirstyThursdayCrew%%

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Yesterday was super LULZY. Turns out the guys who's job it is to maintain all the vehicles, ground equipment, and the pumpers for the fire system, has been putting the wrong type of oil in pretty much everything. No wonder the F250 didn't last. Hopefully the pumpers don't seize if the hangar ever catches on fire.

Then I got home, and bimbo next door has destroyed car #3. She's been a driver for less than 5 years.

:rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Tonight is ski night. I am feeling under the weather. But I will not let some tiny microorganism control my activities calendar! lots of water and fresh ginger in my smoothie (surprisingly yummy, may become a regular occurence) hopefully will help me get sorted.

Last night both boys slept through the night again. :rockout: last week was the first time ever. I'm hoping this is the beginning of a new trend.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
oh man that thread was gold! wasn't the one car impounded or undriveable or something crazy?
It had been sitting either in a police lot or a wrecking yard after one of her accidents. It had grease pencil all over the windshield and the keys had been cabled to the steering column. She drove it like that for weeks,

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My former boss had a set of twins that wrecked something like 4 cars in their first 2 years of driving. He won't let them drive but he had to buy a beater of a car for them. They are now college students and automatically go on their policy, it is assumed the kids drive their parents car unless they have one of their own. It was cheaper to buy a POS and insure them on it. They aren't allowed to drive anything. Insurance is stupid.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Almost the weekend, still have some actual work to do, then I have a bunch of online courses to sleep through before my trip to Brisbane. I still honestly have no idea what I'll be doing there all day, damn...

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I'm putting tires on the fixie today when I get up from the bed. Visiting a phsycologist this afternoon at ~3. Package for cycle touring arrived and intercepted, pretty soon upon the road I belong cycling to California with virgin in my mind.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My former boss had a set of twins that wrecked something like 4 cars in their first 2 years of driving. He won't let them drive but he had to buy a beater of a car for them. They are now college students and automatically go on their policy, it is assumed the kids drive their parents car unless they have one of their own. It was cheaper to buy a POS and insure them on it. They aren't allowed to drive anything. Insurance is stupid.
The latest car the oldest is was driving was a early 90's Volvo 240DL that cost 700 dollars. I know because the sticker was left on the windshield for almost a month after the Focus she was driving finally went to the great wrecking yard in the sky. It also leaked more oil than the Deep Water Horizon. Every place she's ever parked it probably qualifies as a super fund site now. It's too bad really. Body was in pretty good shape, would have made a great project car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
'squeeb, how wrong was the oil choice for all those machines? (Was it even oil they were putting in?)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The idea of my daughter driving in 1.5 more years does scare me. I will be teaching her to drive (I know her mother thinks she will) but it still makes me nervous. While my parents might not have thunk the purchase of my first car through fully ('72 Grand Prix with 390hp), I had no accidents and only 2 speeding tickets.

If she wrecks ANYTHING and its her fault, that's it for me. She can drive when she's 25. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The idea of my daughter driving in 1.5 more years does scare me. I will be teaching her to drive (I know her mother thinks she will) but it still makes me nervous. While my parents might not have thunk the purchase of my first car through fully ('72 Grand Prix with 390hp), I had no accidents and only 2 speeding tickets.

If she wrecks ANYTHING and its her fault, that's it for me. She can drive when she's 25. :rofl:
there is where i want my kid to learn to drive:

http://teamoneil.com/

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
there is where i want my kid to learn to drive:

http://teamoneil.com/
Maddie and I have talked about a few different schools. One of the guys I met on the Corvette forum does auto cross schools at PIR. Rally would be awesome, though.

I've never done a driving school, but I did Lee Park's advanced riding school after meeting him at Laguna Seca (he said "If you bring that bike and let me ride it, I'll give you the class for half price"). I think it was Toshi or someone mentioned his book when I first started riding and by the time I finished it, I was outriding everyone. Then after his class, I was finally able to get the most out of my seat time on the R1. I could never fully push that bike on the street, but I did enjoy the sh!t out of it.

And Toshi, the C4 is the only accident I've had. It was a doozy, though. :rofl:

<edit> Maddie has shown an interest in karting, but damn that sh!t is expensive!!! But I do want to try it.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
'squeeb, how wrong was the oil choice for all those machines? (Was it even oil they were putting in?)
Gasoline motor oil vs. Diesel engine oil. Almost everything around here is a diesel of some sort. Pretty sure our GSE guy was just buying the cheapest 10w40 shit he could pick up at NAPA and using it in everything. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I once had a customer call to complain that their seized on a $1,000,000 CNC machine. They were local so I went out to visit. They had put in heavy gear oil for spindle lubrication. In reality it took a special lightweight mineral oil. The thicker oil generated so much hydrostatic pressure at higher speeds it actually cracked the bearing races. That was a $50K mistake.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I once had a customer call to complain that their seized on a $1,000,000 CNC machine. They were local so I went out to visit. They had put in heavy gear oil for spindle lubrication. In reality it took a special lightweight mineral oil. The thicker oil generated so much hydrostatic pressure at higher speeds it actually cracked the bearing races. That was a $50K mistake.
stupidity does tend to be expensive

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Gasoline motor oil vs. Diesel engine oil. Almost everything around here is a diesel of some sort. Pretty sure our GSE guy was just buying the cheapest 10w40 shit he could pick up at NAPA and using it in everything. :rofl:
Diesels require additives to protect metal on metal surfaces, fuel pump cams I think. Gas engines with solid lifters used to require the same additives. They have been removed as they can damage catalysts. This can quickly destroy an engine. One of my old Volvos had a cam lobe worn away as the previous owner had used modern oil. Easy fix though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I used to run Rotella diesel oil in my motorcycle, as some recommend it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My rear tire went flat over the holidays. It is tubeless. The rim has a small dent. I have no compressor. My arms have given up.