Quantcast

The Story of Tollwut Gravity Bikes & the ultimate gearbox Racer

Sep 17, 2011
no skid marks, you are praying to tell facts and now spend time to troll and write off topic stuff.

this thread shall inform about the Tollwut and not to be pages of stupid posts without anything to do about mtbs.

Sep 17, 2011
More about the technics of the Tollwut Stonedigga

The concept:

real parallelogram with gearbox inside frame

-> less rear wheel weight, less inertia, reducing unsprung mass
-> centering the bike weight low and between the riders knuckles
-> very stabil during airtime
-> high manouverable
-> never changing chain length during complete travel.
-> never lose chain during race again
-> complete free of drivetrain and braking influences to rear suspension performance
-> high degree of efficiency to the rear suspension
-> centered and defined weight in the frame makes the bike more neutral to front or rear hits. the bike stays in a very smooth condition on rough tracks.
-> sealed INA diagonal double bearing for high side forces, less
-> rear chassis stays smooth during high speed cornering
-> rear suspension stays 100% active and soft during braking and accelerating
-> more grip
-> more corner speed
-> if the front fork gets hard during braking the rear stays despite braking rear, soft and stays at the ground. not squating and jumpy rearwheel.
-> braking later and harder possible
-> shorter braking distance
-> stiff frame because of 4 different spots of bearings
-> very quiet during riding
-> less routine maintenance / service necessary
-> no influence of dirt to the bike performance
-> no belt pulleys
-> wheel base gets shorter not longer during travel, for example high pivot chassis get longer

degree of efficiency
Rohloff 96-98% (highest quality hub on market yet)
usuall Chain drive 97%-99%
rear gear hubs usually 92% - 97%

dirty drivetrains, the efficiency drops
open drivetrain -> gets dirty , efficiency drops

shifting speed:
Grip shift chances 14 gears much faster than a trigger

Shifting without and with pedalling

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
More about the technics of the Tollwut Stonedigga

The concept:

real parallelogram

-> less rear wheel weight, less inertia, reducing unsprung mass
-> centering the bike weight low and between the riders knuckles
-> very stabil during airtime
-> high manouverable
-> never changing chain length during complete travel.
-> never lose chain during race again
-> complete free of drivetrain and braking influences to rear suspension performance
-> high degree of efficiency to the rear suspension
-> centered and defined weight in the frame makes the bike more neutral to front or rear hits. the bike stays in a very smooth condition on rough tracks.
-> sealed INA diagonal double bearing for high side forces, less
-> rear chassis stays smooth during high speed cornering
-> rear suspension stays 100% active and soft during braking and accelerating
-> more grip
-> more corner speed
-> if the front fork gets hard during braking the rear stays despite braking rear, soft and stays at the ground. not squating and jumpy rearwheel.
-> braking later and harder possible
-> shorter braking distance
-> stiff frame because of 4 different spots of bearings
-> very quiet during riding
-> less routine maintenance / service necessary
-> no influence of dirt to the bike performance
-> no belt pulleys
-> wheel base gets shorter not longer during travel, for example high pivot chassis get longer

degree of efficiency
Rohloff 96-98% (highest quality hub on market yet)
usuall Chain drive 97%-99%
rear gear hubs usually 92% - 97%

dirty drivetrains, the efficiency drops
open drivetrain -> gets dirty , efficiency drops

shifting speed:
Grip shift chances 14 gears much faster than a trigger

Shifting without and with pedalling

What is German for Tony Ellsworth?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
this is my least favourite thread in the history of being a member here, but i can't for the life of me stop coming back to read the insanity that continually comes up here

Sep 17, 2011
Visit at Tollwut Manufactory last weekend:

The first Tollwut Frame ever made with it first rear shox still works.
Josch bought it back from the customer to put it in his workshop.

Last welded Ladyshapa in 2009 for Josch himself is for sale:

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
You sellin anything else? Dibs on those factory doors- you heard it here first!

Sep 17, 2011
You sellin anything else? Dibs on those factory doors- you heard it here first!
ha ha, you are true. These doors are made by Aljoschas Company.
So you really can order indiviual metal works, like individual winter gardens, corkscrew stairs or gates...ha ha

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
ha ha, you are true. These doors are made by Aljoschas Company.
So you really can order indiviual metal works, like individual winter gardens, corkscrew stairs or gates...ha ha
You seem to know quite a bit about this Tollwut outfit for someone who is merely a customer.

is there something you would like to share with the group? ;)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
no skid marks, you are praying to tell facts and now spend time to troll and write off topic stuff.

this thread shall inform about the Tollwut and not to be pages of stupid posts without anything to do about mtbs.
Pull your head in. my last comment supported the fugly tolwitz, and was following the conversation, so was on topic. My earlier coments debated your hyped up misleading ones towards other brands that were wrong. Debate with facts, not name calling bullsh!t. You're the one trolling.
How heavy are the swingarms with all their bearings? Seeing your talking up the unsprung weight.
Is the breaking 100% neutral? How does it enable later braking?

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I only noticed it now and I find it really funny you claim Wheelbase doesnt get shorter during the travel. You do realize the rearward component on a fork is over 80mm?

Though among the BS arguments the one I like is - no belt pulleys. How many dh bikes use those?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this is my least favourite thread in the history of being a member here, but i can't for the life of me stop coming back to read the insanity that continually comes up here
I think the Evil thread tops this one in that respect. At least for me. Still, I'd give them both a try if I could...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That frame is stupid heavy but the regular ion is mint and the build quality on them is second to none. I really want to test drive an ion.

Sep 17, 2011
I can imagine what you think, but Tollwut is located in Memmingen, thats in bavaria in south east germany.
I live and work in Stuttgart, that is about 140 km away. I used to ride with Ralf the Engineer of the bikes in Morzine (France) and some interested riders can try my bike when the live close to Stuttgart.

I bought a Ladyshapa (Frame from 2002) from someone from Austria, 3 weeks ago, so I was at the Tollwut to get a service and a friend bought a Stonedigga Frame kit. Funny, he is selling 2 FOES frames (Mono 2:1 and a DHS Mono and a foes fork) because he testes the Tollwut Bike.

You seem to know quite a bit about this Tollwut outfit for someone who is merely a customer.

is there something you would like to share with the group? ;)

Sep 17, 2011
Reduce it to the frame, because fork influence is allways the same in each frame, depends on steering angle. When you have bikes with very high pivot single swinger linkage the rearinfluence to the wheelbase is rising until the swinger is horizontal and than the wheelbase starts to become shorter again. That makes a very inhomogen bike behaviour using the full travel.

I only noticed it now and I find it really funny you claim Wheelbase doesnt get shorter during the travel. You do realize the rearward component on a fork is over 80mm?

Though among the BS arguments the one I like is - no belt pulleys. How many dh bikes use those?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Reduce it to the frame, because fork influence is allways the same in each frame, depends on steering angle. When you have bikes with very high pivot single swinger linkage the rearinfluence to the wheelbase is rising until the swinger is horizontal and than the wheelbase starts to become shorter again. That makes a very inhomogen bike behaviour using the full travel.
The wheelbase will still get shorter, no matter how many brochures you read. Also I still havent seen the horrible standard dh frame with a belt that you suggest exists ;)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
The wheelbase will still get shorter, no matter how many brochures you read. Also I still havent seen the horrible standard dh frame with a belt that you suggest exists ;)
I think he's talking about chaingrowth, in which case if all pivots are alligned in a common axis, it shouldnt see the chain grow (hence it doesnt have a chain retention system). On the Legend the wheel's pivot stretchs out than comes back in... I would think thats what he's saying about this bike.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I bought a Ladyshapa (Frame from 2002) from someone from Austria, 3 weeks ago, so I was at the Tollwut to get a service and a friend bought a Stonedigga Frame kit. Funny, he is selling 2 FOES frames (Mono 2:1 and a DHS Mono and a foes fork) because he testes the Tollwut Bike.
whats with you and FOES? did they not testes you enough?