Quantcast

The Santa Cruz Super 8...

Eli Veksler

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
I've heard that it has a problem with it's rear arm. Does anybody know somthing about it ? About cracks on it ?

Thank's, Eli.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Eli Veksler said:
I've heard that it has a problem with it's rear arm. Does anybody know somthing about it ? About cracks on it ?

Thank's, Eli.
yes they crack right at the brace between the two sides of the swingarm, id look into a different frame personally

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
they are developing reputations for cracking. I never had any problems with my old one, but then again, I ride like an 8 year old girl. It was a pain in the ass mounting training wheels to those thru axle dropouts.

Santa Cruz is out of replacement parts

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Yep, they crack. I went through 2 swingarms and they went in differant places (the black one was the "updated" version). They definantly had a problem cracking. See below.

There are no more spare parts, you can't even get a new drop out if you bend your hanger. The bike is only 3 years old, santa cruz should stock parts for at least 5 years IMO.

I think they are doing a warrenty upgrade to V10 to S8 owners.

I have a turner DHR now :love:

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
The upgrade is actually quite cheap so if you get it ride it for a while and it breaks the upgrade is a nice one, i really like my S8 and of course like my v10 replacement.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
can you let me know what the pricing on the V10 upgrade was? Im assuming it was for the first generation v10. is the v10 upgrade offered to those who bought the S8 used??

thanks in advance!

joel

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
joel hester said:
can you let me know what the pricing on the V10 upgrade was? Im assuming it was for the first generation v10. is the v10 upgrade offered to those who bought the S8 used??

thanks in advance!

joel
I was offered a v10 for $2500AUS (they RRP here for $4400AUS) for a 04 frame (not the mono one), floater and rear hub. I ended upgetting a turner as the v10 has too much travel for my liking and i'm a fan of single pivots.

Not sure what the senario is with 2nd hand owners.

The swingarms were cheap but they don not have any more unless they intend to do another production run.

I guess SC figured it would be cheaper for them to get S8 owners onto v10's as they don't crack the swingarms like every 6 months.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
When I warrantied my swingarm 2 years ago, I asked about a V10 and they said no. Demand was very high for the v10 then. I would have jumped on a v10 for $1100. All the swingarms that I have seen crack have been higher up than the previous posted pics. I warrantied the first one cause I could, not because it wasn't rideable. The cracks start, but don't propegate. I rode the piss out of mine and it never failed. Those pics are the first I have seen of one that failed.