Quantcast

The Pick H8R's Next Family Car Thread

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The Outback has had it. In the shop now, we'll put just enough money into it to make it run to sell it.

What will our next car be?

Here's the criteria:
The 96 Outback was perfect.

However the next one does not have to be another Outback. (at least not from my point of view, but the wife drives it most)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Oh and before any one of you tossers.....

"Try it now"

There. That's out of the way.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I have a 2000 Audi A6 Avant in amazing condition, (now that I have replaced damn near everything) if you want it!!! Hint, hint!!!!!

The new VW wagons seem very nice, but I would definitely get a new outback wagon if I had the opportunity right now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What will our next car be?

Here's the criteria:
The 96 Outback was perfect.
New/used? Price range? AWD necessary? Why not get another Outback if it was so perfect? What's the wife want, most importantly?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
New/used? Price range? AWD necessary? Why not get another Outback if it was so perfect? What's the wife want, most importantly?
Used, unless we find a killer deal on new.
Sub 40k miles.
AWD is nice but not critical
Under $20k hopefully
Outback wagon is great but I think we can do better mileage wise, and they are CRAZY expensive for used.
On the other hand, we went and looked at an Impreza Outback, which we loved, but the mileage was "eh".

Fvckin hate this process.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Used, unless we find a killer deal on new.
Sub 40k miles.
AWD is nice but not critical
Under $20k hopefully
Outback wagon is great but I think we can do better mileage wise, and they are CRAZY expensive for used.
On the other hand, we went and looked at an Impreza Outback, which we loved, but the mileage was "eh".

Fvckin hate this process.
Any of the cute-utes should do the trick. Pick the one with the most depreciation and greatest local availability: CR-V, RAV4, Rogue, Sportage, Escape, Tribute. Hell, you could pick up a used Tahoe or Explorer for $10k and use the rest of the money towards gas...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Mazda 6 sport wagon.
I got in a Mazda 3 today. It was like stuffing myself into a cheap, sh1tty hotwheel. The wife will drive this most of the time, but when I do the driving it's for the long haul stuff out of town. Headroom is king in this regard.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Thoughts and opinions on VW TDI's are welcome.
Just don't buy any of the last 2 gens of passats. There are popular company cars here and **** that happens to them is insane. The previous one was just the engine. The new one it's all the electronics plus some really silly design choices that look like no on really drove the prototype.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok researching the '09 Imprezas...the mileage sucks ass. The '12's get way better mileage for not much more coin than used. I could probably score one locally for $20k or less. Some used '09's are going for $18k or more.

Hmm....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I drove a Ford Focus wagon around for a bit. I would buy one if I was in the market.
On my list but not the wife's. Some unexplainable aesthetic aversion. I like the new 5-door.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've got a TDI Wagon. Only 15k miles in but so far so good. The gas mileage is incredible - I went from 18mpg using premium to 40+ using diesel. Bonus: it can hold a lot of bike stuff.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I got in a Mazda 3 today. It was like stuffing myself into a cheap, sh1tty hotwheel. The wife will drive this most of the time, but when I do the driving it's for the long haul stuff out of town. Headroom is king in this regard.
I have a Mazda 6 wagon. They are much bigger than the 3. I'm over six foot and there is plenty or room. With a roof box, there is room for a family vacation with the dog. It has been perfectly reliable. Nothing but scheduled items for seven years. Very low cost of ownership. The rub is worse mileage than an AWD suby. My wife wants her TDI back, but she's a German car snob and hates all Japanese cars. Is that racist ?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Honda Odyssey, used. Early 2000's. Same mileage if not better than a suby, more room, they handle like cars, reliable as hell, and they are awesome on road trips.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Honda Odyssey, used. Early 2000's. Same mileage if not better than a suby, more room, they handle like cars, reliable as hell, and they are awesome on road trips.
Oddly enough I probably wouldn't mind a minivan. I even told the wife we should consider a Transit Connect passenger setup. She asked which ball I wanted cut off.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Eh. Tons of guys claim they would never drive one. I got flamed by four of my friends when i got one. Then they all went on a road trip with me and watched DVD's the whole way. Now they all have Honda Odysseys for their families.
It's the most practical vehicle I've ever owned. I used to have a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon, and I like the van more. THe legacy was more fun, but the van is more practical in pretty much every aspect. I even use mine like a truck sometimes. I just pull the seats out and load things up if i need to. All of my seats are individual buckets. I don't have a honda, i have a dodge. I couldn't afford a honda at the time, so i bought a newer, lower mileage dodge caravan. It's been paid off for over 5 years and i just can't get myself to get rid of it. It's a little more "manly" if there is such a thing. I have my rocket box on top, a Saris bike rack on back, tons of biking stickers on the back window, some Op Ivy stickers on the rear panels, and black 19" rims. I didn't want it to be completely lame, and I don't have the money for any cool cars right now, so i gott work with what i've got. :0P