Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
just adjust the saddle noses up so they don't look so dorky and take them to a hill for the day (no need to actually ride them, DH is all about the look afterall)

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
buy some propper brakes (ex.: new shimanos). change oil in the dampers and go ride it.

Mar 2, 2011
I've got a question on my mind for a few days now and I couldn't find any useful information on the web so I'd like to give it a try here:
Is there a way to use a Revox in the Sunday (I'm currently using an RC4), or is it just impossible? Has anyone tried it? Would the Revox work well with the dw-link (I'm talking about the shim-stack based 2012/2013 versions)? :-)

Marius

Chimp
Jul 4, 2011
Germany
I have had problems with all lower linkage and shock mounting bolts coming loose. A bit of medium tight Uhu on them and the problem is solved.

DrSouce169

Chimp
Jan 8, 2009
Boxford MA
Hello Sunday Fans,

Yesterday i an idea is bring in my mind. My housemate has bought an Iron Horse 6 point and yesterday i get the size of the upper link of 6 point. The size from the center of link to shock mount axle is the same of sunday pivot, but from the center of pivot to rear triangle there is difference from about 10 mm (sunday link is longer) and i think if it can replace only the upper pivot with 6 point pivot the BB will be lowered and make the head angle stepper like new age downill bikes. Does any one tried this transformation ?

According to this idea see this pic
. This sunday is with custom upper link and the HA is 63,5°.
How did you make up those linkages? Does it still get a full 8" of travel? My pre F7 links are beat to **** and have a ton of play, since F7 links are impossible to find I'm SOL. I've been looking for alternatives.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
What are those F7 links? I'm a little confused with the Sunday information as there are so many people riding one, and different opinions come day to day. If any of you have the Iron Horse fan page in Facebook, you can see the newest pics there of an red-grey pimped-out Sunday - its upper linkage is quite different to the one i have on my bike. Looks sleeker and better, and i'm wondering if it's aftermarket one or just a newer model linkage. :)

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
What are those F7 links? I'm a little confused with the Sunday information as there are so many people riding one, and different opinions come day to day. If any of you have the Iron Horse fan page in Facebook, you can see the newest pics there of an red-grey pimped-out Sunday - its upper linkage is quite different to the one i have on my bike. Looks sleeker and better, and i'm wondering if it's aftermarket one or just a newer model linkage. :)
the F7 links are the last and final generation of IH Sunday upper and lower links.. found on the 2007+ sundays the uppers are forged aluminum with a thin round spacer (VS the older links that are plate alu CNC machined with a big fat alu shock mount). The big advantage of the F7 is the hardware allows much faster removal of the shock. also its less weight and slimmer. also the lower has more reservoir clearance. i have a few of these, about to do a bunch of rear shock testing soon on 3 sundays using xfusions :thumb:

Last edited:

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
Yeeeeah, finally i have a new ride, i was tired of my tiny Commençal Mini DH size S/M

Now Renthal Fatbars+Shimano Saint Brakes and it's done!!

Fork is 2010 Boxxer WC and shock is stock DHX3 but it works pretty well, so much better than my DHX5 on the Commençal, for sure.

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Fork is 2010 Boxxer WC and shock is stock DHX3 but it works pretty well, so much better than my DHX5 on the Commençal, for sure.
just a heads up, i have that same fork on my sunday and omfg get ready for arm pump. its so harsh!! send the cart to avy or do something like udi recommended to reshim. btw how big was the change going from a S/M comm to a Large sunday?

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
just a heads up, i have that same fork on my sunday and omfg get ready for arm pump. its so harsh!! send the cart to avy or do something like udi recommended to reshim. btw how big was the change going from a S/M comm to a Large sunday?
I like hard forks lol, but i am going to service it this weekend and see what i can do to make it work better. Since i am from Spain it is hard to get the shock/fork internally tuned, there is no good tunners ("tunners" is this even a word?).

The change from S/M Commie to a L Sunday is enormous, now i feel at home on my bike for first time, i am 180 cm (5'11") tall and the L fits me just perfectly, the M would be too short for me, maybe i have long arms or something. The Commie nearly killed my knees and my ass was bumping the rear wheel too much.

Im soooo happy with my size choice, and with the bike, it's fantastic.

Last edited:

jrock&co

Chimp
Feb 5, 2013
ok so I just picked up an '06 sunday wc. The seller thought it was an '07, but its got the red ano lower, indicating it to be an '06.
So looks like ill need to upgrade some parts for the rebuild.
F7 linkage=lower mount and uppers plus 10mm hardware right?

Im confused as to which upper links are the newer(7075) because ive seen different styles on '07s and '08s.
see attached pics for comparison.

so for parts:
if I have the red ano lower which works w/the dhx5.0 which ill be ok with should I still consider switching out it out with either:
http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=387&Name=IRON+HORSE+Linkages+and+spares
or
http://boutique.bosmtb.com/en/produits/p42-iron-horse-linkage ?
Or
http://www.licycleworx.com/product_p/ih-sunll.htm

anyone make the latest upper links?
Anyone have pic link to seat mast dremel mod?

Lastly, my '06 is a red world cup w/usa factory stickers on it.
Front page sticky indicates that for 06 world cups were/are monster green and the red is listed in factory frame Category.
Does that make it a factory wc?

and is the lower linkage bolt the only one that was switched to the 10mm?

thanks a lot sunday fans!

Attachments

Last edited:

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
What kind of Vivid R2C 2012 should i put on my Sunday? I know that with the old ones (5.1) it must be the tune "A" but the new ones don't use a single letter to point the tune, so... ¿LL?, ¿LM?, ¿ML?

Last edited:

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
ok so I just picked up an '06 sunday wc. The seller thought it was an '07, but its got the red ano lower, indicating it to be an '06.
So looks like ill need to upgrade some parts for the rebuild.
F7 linkage=lower mount and uppers plus 10mm hardware right?

Im confused as to which upper links are the newer(7075) because ive seen different styles on '07s and '08s.
see attached pics for comparison.

so for parts:
if I have the red ano lower which works w/the dhx5.0 which ill be ok with should I still consider switching out it out with either:
http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=387&Name=IRON+HORSE+Linkages+and+spares
or
http://boutique.bosmtb.com/en/produits/p42-iron-horse-linkage ?
Or
http://www.licycleworx.com/product_p/ih-sunll.htm

anyone make the latest upper links?
Anyone have pic link to seat mast dremel mod?

Lastly, my '06 is a red world cup w/usa factory stickers on it.
Front page sticky indicates that for 06 world cups were/are monster green and the red is listed in factory frame Category.
Does that make it a factory wc?

and is the lower linkage bolt the only one that was switched to the 10mm?

thanks a lot sunday fans!
I'm 100% positive that your frame is a 2006 Sunday Factory. It is one of the USA built frames. All the stickers on that frame are original. It is not the World Cup--those were produced overseas. Not sure where you got the idea it's a WC. Good luck with your rebuild.

Last edited:

jrock&co

Chimp
Feb 5, 2013
thanks stickler.
I was just confused as It has the worldcup color band on the rear triangle and also the "worldcup tested" logo backside of seat post.

So looks like since my '06 doesn't have the upgraded upper links so therefore I cant run the 10m hardware im assuming, unless links could be machined?

Why do I see '08 sundays for sale that have the same upper links as the white bike above as Ive been told by ex ironhorse employee that the f7 upper links are the ones that curve into the upper shock mount like pictured black bike?

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
A less blue picture of my bike with new handlebars (Renthal 20mm) and seatclamp (Deity), now it's done until i can afford Shimano Saint brakes, maybe un May or June:

It does not look (nor rides) like a bike designed in 2004, this is an amazing oldie bike, for sure.

Last edited:

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
Hey guys, what is the best spot to put the fork bumpers on a Sunday, because i have two new mini-dents on both triangular gussets :(

Noy i have them bumping the upper weld of the gusset, but i have read that the best spot is the upper tube, i am posting a picture to clarify what i am saying:

RED is where i have the dents
ORANGE is where my bumpers are hitting right now
GREEN is where i have read that is the best place to hit with the bumpers

This bikes have them hitting the upper tube: http://ftp.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/probikes/sabrina_jonnier_iron_horse07/IMG_0433.jpg
http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/sam_hill_2008_sunday_2s.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5215/5385873614_52e94c8261_o.jpg
http://www.moredirt.co.uk/bikes/4606.jpg

Someone can help me please?

NOTE: This picture is not from my bike.

Last edited:

AndySTi

Chimp
Apr 3, 2010
Siberia
Hey guys, what is the best spot to put the fork bumpers on a Sunday, because i have two new mini-dents on both triangular gussets :(
As Rocko says, green area (top tube) is the best.

On full lock, make sure that the respective fork bumper is making contact with the top tube. The gusset is soft and is prone to denting (as you have experienced), so do not align your fork bumpers with the gusset.

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
Ok, thank you, so this should be ok? :

This is my bike and you can see one of the dents in the gusset, i f***ing hate it!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yes, the top tube is much thicker than the gusset.
The bumpers should always contact the top tube and never the gusset.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I've got the two upper links and the lower red link, from a 2005, if anyone wants it. Upper links will need new bearing most likely, and the lower link looks a little beat..but is definitely usable. If anyone wants to make an offer or see pics please PM me. I know someone out there needs this stuff!

edit: here is a picture of what I have

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8975263/

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think some of you are assembling your bikes incorrectly, see below for correct method:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
out of interest, Why?
Amongst other things, the internal valving is way off for this frame. It's actually hard to notice unless you ride tracks that develop relatively high shaft speeds in the shock - it took me a while to figure out what was going on - but on high speed impacts there's noticeable compression spiking. It's entirely possible to ride tracks that don't induce this. I found it much more noticeable in the alps, and on faster local tracks.

The ST04 tune is definitely not the correct tune for the Sunday, and when I first contacted BOS (in France) about my experience I received a fairly rude response. I am also confident that the compression flow area is insufficient (dyno testing suggested a lack of HS compression digression) on very low leverage bikes, given the higher resultant shaft speeds.

Beyond that, the stock rebound curve was less than perfect as well - with a strange kick off jumps and a lack of adjustment range for higher spring rates. Combine that with excessively low spring rate recommendations (which they still give for some reason) and I am unconvinced of their tuning abilities.

Fast forward a few years, and BOS have quietly changed the internal valving on their chart for the Sunday without admitting any mistake. The recommended tune is now the ST02 (the one for sale above is ST04).

I revalved mine extensively at which point I was happy with it - but at that point the piston was (significantly) modified and entirely new compression and rebound shimstacks configured. For the premium they cost, there should have been no need for that.

The shock is nicely built and has very low sliding friction - but beyond that, I could not recommend them - particularly in this frame. They may well have improved significantly now, but once burnt, twice shy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Thanks Udi

I'm still happy enough with my stock DHX3 with minimum pressure, a fairly soft spring running lots of sag and fairly fast rebound.

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
Anybody knows of a european store selling lower links for the Sunday?

Im thinking of cutting mine to fit a RC4 but i want to have another before do it just in case...

Is it reliable to cut the lower link? Has anybode had problems with a cutted link?

If i can't find one i will probably stay with my stock DHX3 or buy a new Vivid R2C, in that case, what tune of Vivid RC2 2012-2013 should i put on the Sunday?

Based on what i know about DW-Link (that is not too much) i would go with Low compression and Medium or Low rebound, that is a LM o a LL, am I right?

I need a DW-Link guru!

Last edited:

Kondzik

Chimp
May 18, 2013
Hi there! I wanna put the RWC needle bearing kit to my Sunday 2006 but unfortunately on the RWC page is only a kit to 07+ Sunday...
Is there possibility to put RWC kit to my Sunday 06?

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Yes, I just put a CCDBA on my 5spot. Its awesome. Its so good it makes my fork look bad.
how did you setup the CCDBA and what did you try for the bottom out volume adjust? I am trying the CCDBA 8.5x2.5 for a "short shocked" 6point experiment. Always ran an 8.75x2.75 xfusion HLR with ti coil so hopefully the lower BB and slacker HT will make the IH6 geo match my split pivot morewood jabula :thumb:

Hi there! I wanna put the RWC needle bearing kit to my Sunday 2006 but unfortunately on the RWC page is only a kit to 07+ Sunday...
Is there possibility to put RWC kit to my Sunday 06?
I bought these RWC roller bearing shock eyelets for my last 7 bikes, it definitely frees the susp up to be more active, however his tolerances are not like they used to be. The first ones from 3-4 years ago were great and still going strong. However the latest ones ive purhcased (over the last 1.5 years) all have slop that irritates me every time. I will only purchase the fox 5-piece bushings from now on, in fact ill have a bunch of RWC kits to sell cheap

Last edited: