Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Apr 6, 2008
Porto/Portugal
So here he is from paint job! (photos with quality for soon!)

2013-02-02 23.01.04.jpg

- New Bearings
- New Lower Link
- New Lower Axle on DW Link
- New Bolts

Now i'm waiting for some components and a stickers kit for down tube.

Thanks for all help! :thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2008
Porto/Portugal
Thanks kuzlich! Enjoy your sunday!

i have one doubt, i see the rear shox have more gap on left side (yellow line) than right side (red line) (see image below)
2013-02-03 00.25.36.jpg

when i insert one of the front bearings, the space of one of those bearings was more shorter (see second image below)
IMG_2667.JPG

i remove this bearing (the yellow one) three times, i clean all paint but he stand the same way, have any problem?

cheers

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
this frame will put for sale soon. just for larger size of any brand to fit 28mm stem. otherwise overall it is more able to handle than i can use skills on :thumb: In other words, I love it.

217542_566085950070724_805227812_n.jpg

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I am trying to see for a new painting for the frame, for the moment I don't know :rolleyes:
I know here in the U.S., powder coating is relatively cheap. Local motorcycle powder coated does entire bicycle frame and linkage pieces for $120 USD. That includes stripping the old paint. You are responsible for disassembling the bike and removing the pivot bearings. Powder coat is better than regular paint for a DH bike because it is more durable, for example p.c. will not chip as easily as regular paint.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
sir Mourad, i have also the rear shock thrust bearing unbranded, (it's a copy of the K9),

placed it on the end where the link hammers the shock,

it makes the coil rotate freely so it does not bind when compressed.

I think it was borrowed from motocross technology.

My friend who works at fox, did the conversion of my 09 fox 40 to kashima. It's the best option, kashima stanchions, seals, cartridge, than buying a new fox 40,
money saved!

Last edited:

Philbo194

Chimp
Sep 16, 2010
Surrey
Hey everyone.

I am currently selling a couple of sunday frames. I have a 2008 factory in anodised black, size medium and a 2009 world cup, size small for sale. The 08 is in fantastic condition and I have only just replaced the bearings. The 09 is a bit tatty and has a couple of dents, however I have recently replaced the lower link.

I'm looking for £600 for the 08 and £550 for the 09. I'm located in the UK.

PM me if you would like pics or have any questions

Phil

Also check out my current Sunday build, managed to get a brand new 07 factory front end for it!

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
just picked up a an rc4 for my sunday. i need advise for what settings i should be starting with for the sunday.
these are the generic starting figures which i used from fox, but haven't any time to get out on a dh track as yet,i've just been making small adjustments riding the bike in the street.

220 pounds running a 450 spring with .5 turn of pre load.about 35% sag.
150 psi and 1.5 turns on boost valve(from full open)
7 clicks in on lsc (from full closed)
6 clicks in on hsc(from full closed)
3 clicks in on rebound (from full closed)

any help is appreciated.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I presume you mean 'out' from full closed, rather than 'in' as you say. If adjusters are closed, they'll turn 'out' (anti-clockwise), if adjusters are fully open, they'll turn 'in' (clockwise). Best to sort that out first.

Anyway I would lean towards minimal LSC on a Sunday, and maybe half of the available range of the HSC as a starting point. 150psi is what I ran for pressure also, but I'd consider running 130-140 for better small bump sensitivity if desired. Boost chamber volume adjuster should generally be fully closed on this bike, and you should set the pressure after setting the chamber size, as changing size will change the pressure.

Rebound is dependent on spring rate so I can't advise there. The general rule is that the rear rebound should always be slightly slower than the front.

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
I presume you mean 'out' from full closed, rather than 'in' as you say. If adjusters are closed, they'll turn 'out' (anti-clockwise), if adjusters are fully open, they'll turn 'in' (clockwise). Best to sort that out first.

Anyway I would lean towards minimal LSC on a Sunday, and maybe half of the available range of the HSC as a starting point. 150psi is what I ran for pressure also, but I'd consider running 130-140 for better small bump sensitivity if desired. Boost chamber volume adjuster should generally be fully closed on this bike, and you should set the pressure after setting the chamber size, as changing size will change the pressure.

Rebound is dependent on spring rate so I can't advise there. The general rule is that the rear rebound should always be slightly slower than the front.
yep my bad, i do mean "out" from fully closed.
after a short ride on the w/end i'm now running 11 out lsc, 8 out hsc other settings the same.

just checking in regards to boost volume, i wind it all the way in for closed and if the bike tends to slow down/catch on square edges i assume i should wind the hsc further out.
cheers.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yep. The Sunday is fairly linear at end of stroke, so running the volume adjuster closed (or close to it) is the general rule. If square edges are feeling harsh, you could try backing off the HSC like you said - and reducing pressure 5-10psi at a time may help also. I think you can get away with little to no LSC on the Sunday (on the RC4).

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ok guys, got a few Sunday parts left and Im trying to get rid of everything because Im moving to a smaller apartment so the odds and ends need to go. Ive got a small sunday front triangle, brand new never used sets of enduro bearings and the enduro needle bearing for the f7 linkage. I will trade all this for the price of a Cane creek 110 headset for my xc bike. Either that or 120 plus shipping. Ill even go halfsies on the shipping. If anyones interested let me know. Got pics of the triangle on PB at stumpsunday.

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
Yep. The Sunday is fairly linear at end of stroke, so running the volume adjuster closed (or close to it) is the general rule. If square edges are feeling harsh, you could try backing off the HSC like you said - and reducing pressure 5-10psi at a time may help also. I think you can get away with little to no LSC on the Sunday (on the RC4).
thanks for that, gives me a better starting point.

DrSouce169

Chimp
Jan 8, 2009
Boxford MA
Hey everyone.

I am currently selling a couple of sunday frames. I have a 2008 factory in anodised black, size medium and a 2009 world cup, size small for sale. The 08 is in fantastic condition and I have only just replaced the bearings. The 09 is a bit tatty and has a couple of dents, however I have recently replaced the lower link.

I'm looking for £600 for the 08 and £550 for the 09. I'm located in the UK.

PM me if you would like pics or have any questions

Phil

Also check out my current Sunday build, managed to get a brand new 07 factory front end for it!
Any chance you could sell me just the linkage? :) Good luck with the sale if I had the money I'd buy the whole frame from ya.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Does anyone know what the stack and reach is on an 07 Sunday elite is? I'm looking for a new frame and want to compare. Thanks, EC
Ps, I searched this site and Google, but there's no direct answers.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I dont remember the number right now, but I've answered that same question in this thread before. All medium sundays should have the same geometry.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just to confuse matters not all 17" Sundays are medium. Some small Sunday frames have eactly the same length seat tube as a medium

adstock

Chimp
Sep 12, 2006
Well, my 05 bottom link and end caps are all worn out and marred up. I have no problem sourcing an 07-09 link but does anyone know where I can get the 07-09 caps and shaft, stateside? I don't feel like spending $75 USD + shipping from the UK..

edit: Carnage shots

Last edited:

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
So the rc4 seems to be the best for this bike. Can someone tell me if there are different tunes with the rc4 that I might buy mail order? If there are different tunes which one do I want for the sunday? Any idea which steel spring for a 170 lb rider

I have read 200 pages of posts and dont have enough time to finish right now. Tons of info

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
So the rc4 seems to be the best for this bike. Can someone tell me if there are different tunes with the rc4 that I might buy mail order? If there are different tunes which one do I want for the sunday? Any idea which steel spring for a 170 lb rider

I have read 200 pages of posts and dont have enough time to finish right now. Tons of info
As the guy above told you there are no different tunes for RC4.That's the best shock for the frame and the difference is night and day comparing to stock DHX 3 or 5.
There is info on the 1st page about spring rates and weight but my advice is just experiment with it :)
Try 350 and if it's a bit stiff for you go to 300 lbs .
I am running 350 on RC4 and I weight 155 lbs geared up.It's all personal preference and depends how you like your bike If you like to pop over roots and roocks go for stiffer spring.
As Udi wrote this many times I will repeat his words "always run bottom out closed (closed it first and after that put 150 psi in the chamber) !!! "

tosam

Chimp
Jan 28, 2013
France
Hello guys,

My sunday is in progress !
I have just put a 888 rc3 evo Ti, pure pleasure !
I wait my RC4 and my BOS linkage

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
As the guy above told you there are no different tunes for RC4.That's the best shock for the frame and the difference is night and day comparing to stock DHX 3 or 5.
There is info on the 1st page about spring rates and weight but my advice is just experiment with it :)
Try 350 and if it's a bit stiff for you go to 300 lbs .
I am running 350 on RC4 and I weight 155 lbs geared up.It's all personal preference and depends how you like your bike If you like to pop over roots and roocks go for stiffer spring.
As Udi wrote this many times I will repeat his words "always run bottom out closed (closed it first and after that put 150 psi in the chamber) !!! "
thanks guys. I did not think there were different tunes for the rc4 but just wanted to make sure. I have been stuck in air shock land for quite a few years now