Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that thing is wild! It's either right or a remarkable copy. Has the correct axle and dropout and has lots of sunday-esque features. I wonder what it'll sell for. $275 is a steal, but the fork alone is worth quite a bit more.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sandwich, buy it :) and compare it with your former experience of original Sunday :P 300$ is way cheap.
Ha, I don't know about that. If the price is right, I might, but I doubt it'll stay anywhere below $800. Besides, while what I liked best about the sunday was that the overall package was dialed (1.5in headtube, great geometry out of the box, ISCG05, etc), this one has questionable suspension geometry, irreplaceable parts, and keeps the sunday's dreadful shock location. Maybe they revised the shock rate, but unless the whole package goes for less than $500, I'm out. Add to that my experience with the Sunday was severely tarnished by the crappy shock on there, and I don't know if I'd be a good judge.

An0maly

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Last edited:

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
-2 degrees cups here.
5 mm shorter RC4 and Boxxer with max stanchions length so in total 62 degree : ) .
It is a bit overkill on a flat trial but on steep it will give you some confidence.
It's your call in the end.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Rode mine with -1.5*, didn't like it. Would have switched back to 64* for my cat 2 lazy ass. Steering was a bit too lax and not quite "sharp" enough for the speeds I was going. If you're an Udi riding whistler all day long, maybe keep it!

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Please explain! 236mm I2I shocks are non-existant. And offset-bushes won't work very well with the frame. ;) The thing would bottom-out before the shock does. ;)
I bought a RC4 which came that way 235 or 236mm (the body was cut down) and I was to lazy to sell the shock and just kept it : ) I've heard it's not good to have shorter shock but I can not find any difference in pedaling or anything else.
Nah it's just on the edge of touching the metal support link on the rear.However the seat is dangerously close to my rear tyre sometimes :P
off topic - BG change your colour on your Sunday seriosno:P

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Wow, sorry - totally forgot RC4s are able to be cut down - their design makes this possible. Ans as far as i know, 6mm is the maximum you can shorten them. And the problem i was refering to was the support link hitting the seattube - screw the saddle touching the tyre, the frame's much more important! When we did some calculations on an L frame of a friend of mine, it could receive only 2mm of shortening before hitting the seattube. So, there was no sense in doing this. Really curious as to how yours is possible - mind if you share a pic or two of your bike? :)

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Hello guys
I know the HA is 65 degree but is that with 570 AC or more coz I made a few measurements and all say the HA is around 65.5 degrees

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Hello guys
I know the HA is 65 degree but is that with 570 AC or more coz I made a few measurements and all say the HA is around 65.5 degrees
Well, when the Sunday was on the market, the builds were with a Boxxer, which i think has an A2C of either 565mm, or a 572mm. And they said the frame has a 65 degrees HA. As far as i know, there are "Factory" frames which have a 66 degree HA. A friend of mine has one and said at first the HA was 66, but now has a custom anglset to slacken it out by around 4 degrees to 62. :)

Ribas

Chimp
Jan 29, 2010
Assuming an original head angle of 65, which do you think is the optimal head angle reducer for the best performance, -1.5 or -2?

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Assuming an original head angle of 65, which do you think is the optimal head angle reducer for the best performance, -1.5 or -2?
Only you can answer this question :P
Depends on the trials you ride and so on .....
It's completely personal preference and basically it does not matter what HA you have till you get nice balanced bike.
When you go slacker than you needed to your bike becomes chopper and it's really hard to turn.
Hope this helps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As stated, I tried -1.5 cups for 63.5* and thought it was a challenge to take advantage of a bike that slack, but I'm not a super fast guy. I would be happy with a 64* HA on a bike that I ride everywhere at non-WC speeds.

c-kirby

Chimp
Dec 29, 2012
Recently bought a used Sunday and its been giving me some bother.

When i grab my back wheel and pull it side to side, theres play between back of DW link where it connects to the frame, I have checked the 2 bearings at the rear of the DW link and one feels pretty gritty...

I have read about DW links becoming ovalised and causing play at this point in the frame. Are my bearings just worn out and causing the play? Or is it something more serious?

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
You could have worn out your dw link, in which case you should replace the rear dw link axle + bearings and assemble the lot with some loctite bearing retainer compound in the interface between the dw link and the axle that runs through it, to stop the axle spinning in the link (which wears it out) and to ensure that the axle spins in the bearings.

on that note, is it better to apply the compound to the inside of the link then slide the axle in or the outside of the axle? I want to make it as un-messy as possible this time! :)

c-kirby

Chimp
Dec 29, 2012
You could have worn out your dw link, in which case you should replace the rear dw link axle + bearings and assemble the lot with some loctite bearing retainer compound in the interface between the dw link and the axle that runs through it, to stop the axle spinning in the link (which wears it out) and to ensure that the axle spins in the bearings.

on that note, is it better to apply the compound to the inside of the link then slide the axle in or the outside of the axle? I want to make it as un-messy as possible this time! :)
So is it definitely my DW link? I forgot to mention I have just replaced the axle but I have not replaced the bearings, one of which feels pretty rough. Im going to have a go at replacing the bearings first as tracking down a DW link doesnt seem to be easy and will be more costly.

Thank you for the tip about bearing retainer compound though! Never heard of that before

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Its more important that there arent any gaps in the compound when you apply it, you can clean up the excess after you put it back together. I put it on both the axle and the link, and mine has remained solid for a couple months now.
07-09 links can be found here: http://www.licycleworx.com/product_p/ih-sunll.htm
I dont know about 05-06 links, but if you need to replace the link it would make a lot of sense to get the front pivot hardware and swap to the 07 lower link.

edmo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2013
07-09 links can be found here: http://www.licycleworx.com/product_p/ih-sunll.htm
I dont know about 05-06 links, but if you need to replace the link it would make a lot of sense to get the front pivot hardware and swap to the 07 lower link.
Awesome!
I was just about to ask about this. Recently got my hands on an 06 bike after deciding it was a mistake to sell my 07 bike a couple of years ago.
Apparently the guy's replaced all pivot hardware, but it's good to hear that you can upgrade to the 07 stuff. In preparation for any loose pivots that might develop I might go and buy all the 07 kit anyway.

I take it there's no actual difference with the pivot locations in the two linkage types? The 07 linkages just have different diameter holes and less material on them, right?
I'm guessing running an 06 upper link and 07 lower link wouldn't be any issue?

Last edited:

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Replaced the stock e13 reducers, and installed -2 deg works component headset on my frame.

previous set up: lower bar height, boxxer short crown, microspacers (fsa) between the top crown and compression wedge. stanchions max out.

Can I get away also of not using the top bearing cover of the works components, under the top crown?

Will the top bearing get gritty overtime as this is exposed/open to the elements without the top cover?

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I wouldnt worry about the bearings. Ive never gone without the cover on my works headset but I have on a few others. Just use enough spacers to keep the crown off the upper cup.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Kicking around the idea of getting an '06 sunday for a good deal. Supposedly this is the world cup. Is there any way to tell? Any durability issues to look for? I read here that the lower link is updated, so that's good...
I saw that the american 07 factory is lighter than the taiwan frames- is this 06 world cup the heaviest version? After reviewing the first post, I'm still unsure. Am I wasting my time, or should I look into it. A little leary of a six year old frame, but I've been seeing enough people still using them that I'm considering it. Do the headtubes ever shear off of these things? Ok I think thats it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They seemed pretty durable to me. Two seasons under a trumpore and about 2.5 with me, no signs of cracking or anything.

I think they were heavily revised in 07...ie, the 0506 frames were a bit different than 0708, but if you're not scared of a half pound of weight...

If you get a good deal on it, I'd still consider it. Mine was a pretty fun bike, but figured out the shock ferrchrissakes...being able to pick any shock I want on my current bike is really pretty nice.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Can't give you rep for helping out, but thank you. I'll see how low this dude will go and decide from there. I like the idea of a cool foundation that can be used for some mods and make a fun bike- kinda like what you're doing!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Haha, sure. The best thing about the sunday frames, besides their geometry and robustness, is the wealth of information you can get on them. Plus, they're cheap. They really don't do anything wrong besides the regressive shock rate, but you can supposedly correct that with an RC4. You can get anglesets, drill out your seat mast, run them single crown, double crown, etc. They're neat bikes that pedal really well and rip through the corners, but their taiwaniness can lead to issues, and mine had a nasty spike 2/3 into the travel that I think was related to my DHX. I never got it retuned or pushed or anything, mostly because I was an idiot, but I wanted to try something else.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
All 07+ frames are 0.9lbs lighter than previous frames, and all have the updated F7 linkage. It's worth getting an 07+ if you can, but there are no glaring durability issues with the 06 frames apart from maybe having a few little linkage dramas (which you can upgrade anyway, if you can find the parts). I retired my 07 after riding it for about 6 years (two swiss alps seasons and one whistler season) and it's still sitting in my room with zero cracks or failures.

Like Sandwich suggested, the coolest thing is that they were quite far ahead of their time when they came out and left a lot of room for modernizing, so it's easy to still be competitive on one today. Acceleration is second to none, and cornering is still class-leading. They do work best with an RC4.

The shock rate really does not digress that much (we measured it quite accurately on a custom jig and fed the data through linkage) and is easily corrected with any progressive shock to resist bottoming. What makes it less than perfect is actually that there isn't enough progression at the beginning of the stroke (even though it is still progressive) so it won't take the edge off bumps quite as well as a more modern design. The other thing is they aren't the poppiest bike, partially due to the lack of strong progression initially, and partially due to generating end-stroke progression via damping (which absorbs energy) rather than mechanically / via spring rate (which stores and returns energy to the rider).

With careful shock choice and shock tuning though they are still brilliant bikes though.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What size shock reducers does the frame require ?
30x10mm for 07+
I am unsure for 05-06 frames without an F7 linkage.

I take it there's no actual difference with the pivot locations in the two linkage types? The 07 linkages just have different diameter holes and less material on them, right?
I'm guessing running an 06 upper link and 07 lower link wouldn't be any issue?
No difference in pivot locations, geometry and suspension kinematics of Sunday frames were identical throughout production for consumer frames (05-09). Some small geometry changes for Sam Hill I believe. No issue with running different year links like you said.

what kind of loctite recommend?
As richgardiner said, to fix play between the rear pivot of the lower linkage and the link itself, loctite 609 retaining compound works well. It is a green liquid. As bengxe said, it is good to be generous with it and clean up the excess later, and it's very important to leave it for full cure time (at least 24 hours) immediately after assembling the pivot.

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
30x10mm for 07+
I am unsure for 05-06 frames without an F7 linkage.
23x8mm on the older pre F7.

Some may disagree on the play or need for a bearing on the lower shock eye but I'm a fan of the RWC bearing on the older pre F7 lower link. I find its hard to get everything to squeeze together adequately when you tighten the lower pin and keep shock reducer bushing from spinning instead of the du busing rotating around the shock reducer.

On my friends with the older link running updated max-e bearings and the addition of shims from mcmaster we got that thing dialed. It took and allot of patience but it can be done.

The F7 fixes all this so that's why its such a recommended up grade.

I thought I read somewhere that Fox has some new busing instead of a DU that is less friction. That would be sweet instead of the RWC bearing. Any one have a link to that info?

Al

Last edited: