Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Yep, it was posted a while back. Never actually saw the real thing, only this drawing. And it's not the most pleasent one, to tell you the truth - the shock section looks a little bit hideous, something like the carbon DH-Astro....

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
An IH isn't an IH only for its front triangle. Can't remember how much grams Zelvy said their offering would shave off, i was pretty interested. But it never actually showed up in reality, don't know if anyone here has anything more to say or if he/she has seen one. It's a nice concept, nice idea, only the design is a little bit off and it's still like the unicorns - everybody talks about them, none have seen one in real life....

Hambowbow

Chimp
Jul 21, 2014
Zelvy Sunday proto was spotted down at thredbo last weekend, I think there are two people testing them now. Was told it looks a bit like a Kona x Sunday, not like the photo above ^^^

Just rebuilt mine, no need for carbon.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
shit, i found (what seems to be) a good deal on a sunday in the PB buy/sell. Someone please buy it so i am not tempted too..

if i hadnt just bought a codeine frame, i would have probably pulled the trigger.. although i dont use a DH bike enough to warrant one, i still would love to 'restore' one of these frames one day.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
shit, i found (what seems to be) a good deal on a sunday in the PB buy/sell. Someone please buy it so i am not tempted too..

if i hadnt just bought a codeine frame, i would have probably pulled the trigger.. although i dont use a DH bike enough to warrant one, i still would love to 'restore' one of these frames one day.
Buy, restore, wait, sell, earn money.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
that had crossed my mind too..

i really wouldnt mind restoring it and hanging on the wall and calling it 'art'.. but that just sounds gay, so i know i would eventually get around to building.

gahhhhh, this sux. too many bikes to want; not enough monies.

Hambowbow

Chimp
Jul 21, 2014
$1200 for one of Sam's 06 Sunday's for sale here in Aus at the moment, perfect cond., can't justify having two Sundays someone snap it up

Hambowbow

Chimp
Jul 21, 2014
Saw a photo today, still proto so no posting up (plus I don't actually have the photo). It's a Sunday, but, not. Kinda. Hard to describe it, not just a mold of a Sunday made with carbon, redesigned a bit, I kinda like it. Won't post exact numbers but it's light. No word on how long until available. Will ask if it's ok to chuck a photo up, no promise.

Original frame is just sexier though. Here's Sam's bike, by the look of it it's not changed much since he raced it, just a new shock.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?287961-Sam-Hill-Race-Bike-%96-Ironhorse-Sunday-%96-World-Cup

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Is that a fully custom set up? I thought they were doing just the front but on my phone that looks like a new swing arm and links too. Pretty intriguing, I'd be interested to know the numbers. If they have it with slightly more modern geo but retain that legendary Sunday feel when riding, that's awesome. But a big part of its legendary status was the looks, if they sell them they should leave them naked. And get the profile of that downtube a little smaller, it kind of stands out against the rest of the bikes lines.

Last edited:

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but it looks as an ugly cousin of the new Carbon Glory... Even the weight is the same. Doesn't have any resemblance to a Sunday. Asked Zelvy on their facebook page what happened with the plans for a front Sunday triangle, they reply it became a whole frame. Guess this is it. But i don't like it - the Sunday spirit is totally lost on this one.... :(

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Honestly the Sunday was a great bike for its time and it is the sole reason for a lot of useful innovation (in suspension, geometry, and general frame standards), but the production frame design is now 10 years old. There are better bikes out there.

Thankfully it's still possible to keep them very competitive with flexibility in things like headset cups, but waiting perpetually for a Sunday replacement is a bit silly when there are many other good frames out there.

I just posted the Zelvy because you guys were asking, I have no experience with it personally.

I'd happily ride a carbon Glory, it looks great.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Yes, there are better bikes. but at a much higher price. Zelvy said the triangle would cost around 1000 bucks. I would love it to shave 300-400g from my Sunday for 1000 bucks, especially if i can keep my geometry intact. But spending at least twice that for a different carbon frame with different geometry and feel - naaah. And anything new comes in 650b, don't forget - more money towards fork and wheels.... No, thanx!
Would have been kinda pretty nice to get a real carbon front end for the Sunday, not the next full carbon frame with a different name. As for the carbon Glory - people were screaming about one for quite some time, it was about time for it to show up. I only thought it would be ful carbon. And yes, would be happy to ride one. But not to buy it!

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Plenty to give homily to Udi's observation. A Sunday, Iron horse too, has solid hold as a great bike. Anyone with one, or holding onto one really has a great bike. I still have my 6.8 build.

The Zevly creation though does not offer any incentive for me, and I don't expect to be inclined to get behind it and support it the same degree. If Zelvy were instead to somehow do other previous Iron Horse that'd lay foundation on a major-scale carved out from the Sunday.

But that's Pivot, and a half-assed Judge.

Hambowbow

Chimp
Jul 21, 2014
Mmmm, I want to support it, me being from Aus and all, but at the end of the day I'm not racing world cups and it's still getting more looks than the latest greatest carbon stuff. I got it down to 17.1kg at one point, reckon you'd have to lose a lot of weight to make it pedal like a new bike but the 63 degree head angle really helps the Sunday keep up to date, RC4 on the back does wonders. Mate with the evil said it felt just as fast just without the traction from the delta linkage.

Engineering student now, I'll make you all a carbon Sunday in a few years

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Finally have some money to put into my old Sunday. My DHX 3.0 is about dead and my 888 is pieced together from two half-working forks. I would enjoy updating both with better, more efficient tools for this particular bike.

I have read many times that installing a Fox DHX RC4 is the best option for a rear shock. Does this still hold true? Would I have any problems if I secured someone's used shock - so long as the shock is still in good, working order - or should I only consider a new shock? I am not quite clear on leverage ratios and how they affect bikes as well as bike-specific tunes.

Additionally, as far as forks I am torn. A newer BoXXer as well as a Fox 40 sounds great! The 380 has my attention too, especially considering Marzocchi said they'd hand me a discount on a new fork as a crash replacement deal. What say you? I am more of a technical rider, but the trails around my area seem to be full of wide open, balls out speed sections with high speed jumps (live in Portland, OR).

More notes on the subject: I have the F7 linkage on a 2006 frame. I weigh ~140lbs. More a playful rider than a racer type, though I still enjoy going as fast as all get out.

Last edited:

Hambowbow

Chimp
Jul 21, 2014
RC4 hands down, maybe look at a second hand one and get it rebuilt with a Sunday tune. Cheaper and better than a stock tune new.

I'm running one tuned for a pivot phoenix and it's ridiculously good, would be even better if it was a specific sunday tune, I imagine they're similar though. I've just swapped out my '13 world cups for '14 float 40's, honestly prefer the 40's. Have ridden new 380's, one of the plushest forks I've been on, being able to change your shim stacks so easily is nice and I prefer coil to air anyway. If you can get them cheap they might be the best bet, but have a ride on them all first.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
The RC4 2014, if i remember correctly, isn't the best option for the Sunday anymore - it's very different internally to the previous RC4s. Best option is a 2012/2013 RC4 second hand, it's quite good even without a Sunday tune, but if you wish - you can give it for fine tuning. I am riding mine with a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 air shock, no speciffic tune for the frame, got many many adjustments so it's enough for me to play with it for a while to like it on the trail (but i'm a weekend warrior).
As for the fork - a 380, especially for a good price, is a really nice option. A Boxxer 2015 with a charger damper is also a good alternative - it finally works good. There are also used 40s Float in perfect condition for good bucks, it's really your choice and your preferences. I would also suggest a Dorado (cause i'm riding one) - but i'm a Manitou guy! :D

Cliff Racer

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
My friend had one in his possession briefly
Looks good. My factory frame was US made, and not cheap. Given the obvious quality of this carbon frame, I'd probably pay twice what something like a glory cost, given a high-end US made shock alone costs $1200 now days.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Very different suspension design, different tubes design, different geometry.... What does it make it closest to the Sunday???
It is the closest to the Sunday because other bikes are more different.
(Look on the upper link of this bike and the Sunday upper link, look on the seat tube, look on the shock mount, look on the top tube... This bike has some similar things with the sunday.)

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/KHS-DH-300-close-up.jpg

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Really, it's a just a Bicycle. This one happens to be an Iron Horse. Dave Cullinan used to be a BMX Action Magazine test rider. He rode with a friend of mine, came off as a very cool dude. Likes Custom Paint on his Helmets.

Hambowbow

Chimp
Jul 21, 2014
Phoenix feels like a Sunday with everything you didn't like fixed. Bit heavy, but I thought it felt like a real refined Sunday.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Ok, i know someone was asking about the possibility of a Sunday going 650b, but i have to ask - has anyone actually played with the idea to really try this? Has anyone actually tried to put a 650b wheel at the back of the Sunday and if yes, what was the outcome? :)