Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Aug 4, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hi, I found a great offer for a Sunday but the frame is S size. I'm 5'8 (178cm) and I was wondering if it would be too small for me. What do you think? Also do you know if FOX DHX 5.0 AIR would fit without cutting the dw-link? Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
You can get use to a small frame but make yourself a promise: never ever sit on a large frame. Otherwise you will regret you bought a small frame.

Last edited:

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Hi, I found a great offer for a Sunday but the frame is S size. I'm 5'8 (178cm) and I was wondering if it would be too small for me. What do you think? Also do you know if FOX DHX 5.0 AIR would fit without cutting the dw-link? Thank you in advance :)
I'm also 5'8", I started on a medium then went to a large. There's always some personal preference involved in sizing, but a small would be too small for you.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I'm also 5'8", I started on a medium then went to a large. There's always some personal preference involved in sizing, but a small would be too small for you.
Thank you! The problem is that the guy who is selling it to me isn't sure of the size. It is either S or M. How can i determine what size it is? All i know is that the seat tube is 43cm (17'') and the top tube (not the EFF TT) is 52.5~53cm (20") with a straight line from the center of the seat tube to the center of the opening for the fork.

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
That's a medium. You can tell by the gap under the seat tube gusset.
I can't tell what size the bike in that pic is, but you can't always tell by the seat-tube gusset. I have a small '06 Factory front triangle and I have that small gap as well. Here's a pic of my bike for comparison

Screen shot 2014-08-06 at 4.55.52 PM.png

Last edited:

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I believe the 17" small frames are fairly rare, and the linkage on the bike koko posted appears to be an 07+.
This is my 2008 medium for reference. To me the top tube length on the raw bike looks closer to my medium than your small.
20131110_113122.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I believe the 17" small frames are fairly rare, and the linkage on the bike koko posted appears to be an 07+.
This is my 2008 medium for reference. To me the top tube length on the raw bike looks closer to my medium than your small.
View attachment 115767
I'm pretty sure it's a medium because a friend of mine has a medium and measured his TT (not EFF TT) and it turned out to be 53cm or 20" which is the same lenght as the TT of the frame in the picture I posted :)

P.S: I'll pick up the frame tomorrow and I'll share some pictures when I assemble it. I'm wondering if i should paint it. I want to polish the aluminum, it will look great but I don't know if bare aluminum with no lacquer on it is a good idea. photo.jpg
This is what I want to do. Do you think I can leave the bare aluminum like this without lacquer? Maybe I'll put some transparent 3M thingy to protect it.

Last edited:

Bernard Goh

Chimp
Aug 7, 2014
Hello fellow riders, its good to know that the thread is still active.
Now, here's a picture of my Sunday. Have a great riding weekend y'all!
59666_10152199799245583_495662965054129429_n.jpg

Aug 4, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I picked up the frame today. It turned out to be a medium. I'm in love with it although it has 2 small problems.
sundayney.jpg
There is a small dent on the left side of the top tube, I don't think it would be a problem.
sundayney2.jpg
The second problem is that one of the dropouts for the chain guide is bent a little to the side but i think I will be able to get it hot and straighten it. If not I will file it so that it doesn't get in the way and I'll just attach the chain guide between the frame and the bottom bracket.
The frame is with brand new Enduro bearings and I really like it. I'm planning on anodising it but I still haven't figured out the colors. I'll soon post pictures of the assembled bike :)

Aug 8, 2014
Picture1.png Hi there,

Really awesome to see a forum like this!
I have just discovered a bit of play in the bearings at the top of the rear triangle (refer to picture). Now, I'm riding in the alps for around 4-7 days and I'm leaving on sunday, would these bearings last or would I damage my bike further by riding it more? Or is there any kind of fix to this other than replacing the bearing?

Cheers James

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
View attachment 115774 Hi there,

I have just discovered a bit of play in the bearings at the top of the rear triangle (refer to picture). Now, I'm riding in the alps for around 4-7 days and I'm leaving on sunday, would these bearings last or would I damage my bike further by riding it more? Or is there any kind of fix to this other than replacing the bearing?

Cheers James
Replacing the bearing could do nothing, might have ovalized the frame where the bearing presses in. Regardless, you need to replace the bearing as soon as possible to keep it from getting worse. If it is the frame, you need to explore your options as far as fixing it. Some guys here will be able to steer you in the right direction, I don't think it's the end of the world if it is ovalized. But definitely replace the bearing. Do them all while you are at it.

JCP87

Chimp
Aug 10, 2014
I have an 06 sunday team. Does anyone know where the best place would be to look for a rear triangle? Im in the process of restoring the bike, there are no dents at all in the fram other than a big one in the triangle that im kinda bummed about.

AndySTi

Chimp
Apr 3, 2010
Siberia
Replacing the bearing could do nothing, might have ovalized the frame where the bearing presses in. Regardless, you need to replace the bearing as soon as possible to keep it from getting worse. If it is the frame, you need to explore your options as far as fixing it. Some guys here will be able to steer you in the right direction, I don't think it's the end of the world if it is ovalized. But definitely replace the bearing. Do them all while you are at it.
Hi there,

Cheers James
Clean out the mating surfaces first and use a retaining compound (i.e. Loctite 609) where necessary. You can be liberal with that stuff, but make sure you put everything back together quickly and let it cure.

Udi has made numerous posts on the topic of ovalised mating surfaces, search this thread and you should be able to find a more instructive post.

Last edited:

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
It would depend on the stroke length, but the simple answer is no. If you limit the stroke to about 63 mm it would work in theory, but the geometry would be ruined.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Ummm, 230mm shocks have a stroke lengh of a 222mm shock. Which is 70mm. And the Sunday uses a 241mm i2i shock with 76mm stroke. In reality, you will slacken the Sunday a fear bit and will reduce the rear wheel travel to around 185mm, instead of the full 203mm. :) It's been done and people don't have a problem with it. ;)

Aug 4, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
Thanks a lot. I was just wondering if it's rideable. His idea was to make it more of a freeride bike and he has a single crown fork so i guess this won't ruin the geometry that much.

Last edited:

VolatileMike

Chimp
Aug 15, 2014
Anyone got any tips to remove the lower shock pin? I was changing the coil spring and Im pretty sure its bent, or its really really stuck, been hitting it with an hex key and hammer but it wont budge!

Aug 4, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
Anyone got any tips to remove the lower shock pin? I was changing the coil spring and Im pretty sure its bent, or its really really stuck, been hitting it with an hex key and hammer but it wont budge!
On one side of the pin there is a wider part that is cut. If that side is tightened the wider part expands and makes it impossible for the pin to come out. I think this is the drive side part of the pin. Loosen it up almost all the way and try again. I hope this helps you :)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2014
Thanks for the help, I shall look into getting a whole new bearing set. My sunday has just been out in the swiss alps and took it in her stride! I have also discovered some side to side movement in my dw link.... does a bearing kit include bearings for the linkage as well?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Ummm, 230mm shocks have a stroke lengh of a 222mm shock. Which is 70mm. And the Sunday uses a 241mm i2i shock with 76mm stroke. In reality, you will slacken the Sunday a fear bit and will reduce the rear wheel travel to around 185mm, instead of the full 203mm. :) It's been done and people don't have a problem with it. ;)

Doubt the brace on the rear triangle is going to clear the seat tube at botttom out. So I would check the clearance before I'd chunk if off some cliffs. Had one a few years ago and I remember that it was quite close at bottom out on the normal 241 shock

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
I think you're not understanding me. Firstly, the Sunday's linkage is very tight from the begining. Secondly, when going with a 230mm shock, you just shave a little from the suspension' travel, but from the starting point of it. Meaning that the frame hits bottom out at the same place of the travel with both shocks, their bottom-out limit is at the same place as far as the frame is concerned.
Now, if you use offset-bushing for the shock, that's where things differ. Offset bushings shorten the shock (the max amount of this is a total of 6mm, as far as i've heard), but the shock continues to provide its original amount of travel. Meaning the frame starts compressing a little later in its travel than original, but also bottoms out a little later in its travel. And i've taken measurements about this on my Sunday - the frame is not suitable for more than 2mm offset-bushings which is a very small and totally uunsufficient amount - any more and you will damage the frame as it bottoms out before the shock does. ;)

Jerry

Chimp
Aug 22, 2014
I blew my DHX 5.0 on my Sunday Elite 2007. Repair is almost as expensive as buying a new shock. I'm looking at the Fox Van RC 2012 the length is 9.5x3.0 would it fit ok? In the dealer page the specifications say 241mmx82.5 which is 9.5 x3.25 so I'm hesitating. Could you help me?

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I think you're not understanding me. Firstly, the Sunday's linkage is very tight from the begining. Secondly, when going with a 230mm shock, you just shave a little from the suspension' travel, but from the starting point of it. Meaning that the frame hits bottom out at the same place of the travel with both shocks, their bottom-out limit is at the same place as far as the frame is concerned.
Now, if you use offset-bushing for the shock, that's where things differ. Offset bushings shorten the shock (the max amount of this is a total of 6mm, as far as i've heard), but the shock continues to provide its original amount of travel. Meaning the frame starts compressing a little later in its travel than original, but also bottoms out a little later in its travel. And i've taken measurements about this on my Sunday - the frame is not suitable for more than 2mm offset-bushings which is a very small and totally uunsufficient amount - any more and you will damage the frame as it bottoms out before the shock does. ;)
What you're saying makes sense, it's just wrong. A 230x70 shock is 5mm shorter than a 241x76 when both are bottomed out, so the rear triangle brace would hit the seat tube if you use all your travel.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
I blew my DHX 5.0 on my Sunday Elite 2007. Repair is almost as expensive as buying a new shock. I'm looking at the Fox Van RC 2012 the length is 9.5x3.0 would it fit ok? In the dealer page the specifications say 241mmx82.5 which is 9.5 x3.25 so I'm hesitating. Could you help me?
9.5x3.25 means the frame would have more travel. Which is not OK for a Sunday - the point in which the frame and the shock bottom out simultaneously is very tight. Any more travel reserve in the shock and the frame's tubes would hit each other - major damage!

Apr 17, 2014
Question:
I am using a RS Vivid 5.1, the stock spring sits barely touching the frame, going away from it when it compresses, so no real problem there. The thing is now I am thinking of changing to a titanium spring, particularly one from ti-springs but am worried it could not fit well, as anyone used ti-springs titanium spring with a RS vivid on the Sunday?? Any problem with it?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Question:
I am using a RS Vivid 5.1, the stock spring sits barely touching the frame, going away from it when it compresses, so no real problem there. The thing is now I am thinking of changing to a titanium spring, particularly one from ti-springs but am worried it could not fit well, as anyone used ti-springs titanium spring with a RS vivid on the Sunday?? Any problem with it?
I would contact them and ask for the OD of the spring weight you would get. Doubt to many has used their spring since they havent been around for long whereas the sunday is getting fairly old.

9.5x3.25 means the frame would have more travel. Which is not OK for a Sunday - the point in which the frame and the shock bottom out simultaneously is very tight. Any more travel reserve in the shock and the frame's tubes would hit each other - major damage!
There is no standard 3,25 stroke shock, its just FOX way of saying 3". All 3" shocks actually have more than 3" stroke but they are designed for a 9.5x3 shock.

VolatileMike

Chimp
Aug 15, 2014
On one side of the pin there is a wider part that is cut. If that side is tightened the wider part expands and makes it impossible for the pin to come out. I think this is the drive side part of the pin. Loosen it up almost all the way and try again. I hope this helps you :)
I managed to get them out, change my spring...I even got them back in! problem is the thread is ruined on 1 side of each shock pin, would they be ok for a few rides with just the 1 scew in each side untill I can source some new shock pins?