Quantcast

The Miserable Champion

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Rehab and such interupts sh1t.

I don't think Brad was ever "skinny" but he certainly looks like more of a video guy than an athlete these days..
You new in town or something?

Brad is a delicate sunflower..........changes with the seasons. That's a summer pic ;)

Stoked to see this finally get some distribution. I remember watching the trailer for this thing in like 2002 at at bar one in squaw. I imagine having it end up as such a long project probably makes it a more solid flick.

Thanks for the heads up on the kickstarter link.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Mickey - you are the king of vintage photos around here (you and stik) do you happen to have any photos of the palm in jeans with specialized sharpied down the side? Didnt he race a dh in europe with that getup? If so post em, those were classic...

I wanna say one of the best was in 'mountain biking' magazine or something...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mickey - you are the king of vintage photos around here (you and stik) do you happen to have any photos of the palm in jeans with specialized sharpied down the side? Didnt he race a dh in europe with that getup? If so post em, those were classic...

Pretty sure it was Nevegal.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

That was the '97 World Championships

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
After this I hope our boy Brad gets back to his roots. Rapping!

Edit: lol the audio and vid don't sinc up for some reason. If you click over and watch it on Utub it seems to work :confused:

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Funny my twin brothers have a pair of goggles from him he signed and wrote 'Loser' on at the 7 Springs Norba waaay back...Came busting out of his gold bus all pissed off and since we were little kids signed them...

we were massive fans way back, still am...wish he would fire up the race legs again.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Pretty sure it was Nevegal.
I'm almost positive it was the following weekend in Sierra Nevada. Definitely was 1997 though. I remember something about having a spat with Fox over royalties so he raced in jeans and sharpied over the logos on his gloves. Got it all squared away for the finals though and raced in his motos.

Only picture the Google machine was able to find from that race:

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

97' world cup in Sierra Nevada spain. Joe Buck and I were parked down in a parking garage because Specialized and Mongoose (my team) didnt have a pit up with the cool kids. Palm just got off the phone with the guys at (rhymes with Sox) and they wouldn't give him what he wanted, cash wise, after what he fealt was "I ****ing put those guys on the map, the whole industry has changed now because of me, F them"...So we sat on the back of their rental van, while Buck was changing tires and he grabbed a sharpie out of the toolbox and started writing specialized down the leg...he made 2 pair, the first pair said "(insert clothing company) SUCKS!"...I talked him out of that one.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The credit for the photo is Chateau d'Oex.
There is a HUGE lack of pictures of Palmer on the Internet.
Digging through the fairly comprehensive selection of late 90's magazines around I found that there is a surprising lack of published Palmer photos.
I didn't move the scanner to the new office but I should try to make the time to do some scans.

There are more pictures of Palmer standing around in a CytoMax ad than anything else.

Those were some weird times man. People were getting paid SO MUCH money compared to our current epoch.
1996-7 was really irrationally awesome if you were a pro racer of any sort. GT was spending upwards of 5 million dollars on racing then when you include their multiple bmx brands and the Project96 stuff with the Olympic team. They had a semi-truck that was filled with Acuras shipped from race to race and two team trailers in their multi-thousand foot pit space.

I bet the budget for one race was nearly twice as much as what most of the top 10 US racers get paid in one year now.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
You new in town or something?

Brad is a delicate sunflower..........changes with the seasons. That's a summer pic ;)

Stoked to see this finally get some distribution. I remember watching the trailer for this thing in like 2002 at at bar one in squaw. I imagine having it end up as such a long project probably makes it a more solid flick.

Thanks for the heads up on the kickstarter link.
Ha, I didn't even notice the inspirational sunset photo..more a comment on the video trailer appearance.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
97' world cup in Sierra Nevada spain. Joe Buck and I were parked down in a parking garage because Specialized and Mongoose (my team) didnt have a pit up with the cool kids. Palm just got off the phone with the guys at (rhymes with Sox) and they wouldn't give him what he wanted, cash wise, after what he fealt was "I ****ing put those guys on the map, the whole industry has changed now because of me, F them"...So we sat on the back of their rental van, while Buck was changing tires and he grabbed a sharpie out of the toolbox and started writing specialized down the leg...he made 2 pair, the first pair said "(insert clothing company) SUCKS!"...I talked him out of that one.
Now this is a great story ha...Thanks for sharing...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The credit for the photo is Chateau d'Oex.
There is a HUGE lack of pictures of Palmer on the Internet.
Digging through the fairly comprehensive selection of late 90's magazines around I found that there is a surprising lack of published Palmer photos.
I didn't move the scanner to the new office but I should try to make the time to do some scans.
If you could that would be great, back then I think I was 15 ish and basically went to races to watch Palmer...It was a cool time to be getting into DH...

Sorry for the derail, back to the movie...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
That was the '97 World Championships
Not sure if they show it since I haven't watched the link, but I vaguely remember seeing Gracia riding a monocoque carbon Sunn Radical at this race. Or maybe it was Poissin or Pascal? Am I just making it up? Stik?

Edit: Nevermind it was Vouilloz, should have watched first.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Just watched the movie in it's entirety. Overall it's great. Felt unfinished, but only since Palmer isn't finished either. ;)

(The soundtrack is the cherry of this cake.)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Just watched the movie in it's entirety. Overall it's great. Felt unfinished, but only since Palmer isn't finished either. ;)

(The soundtrack is the cherry of this cake.)
agreed - i really liked it. if you're a fan of palmer the person and not just palmer the mtb rider i think most will dig it. if you're wanting a ton of downhill info and focus this isn't the movie for you.